Pet insurance has become an increasingly popular option among pet owners, and for good reason: Veterinary bills can be expensive, and no pet parent wants to make an agonizing decision based on whether they can afford Care. Pets Best Pet Insurance is one company that you might consider using for your pet insurance needs. They cover various conditions for cats and dogs, and their pet wellness plans can even cover part of routine care.
on Pets Best Pet Insurance secured website
Average Customer Rating
What we like:
|Monthly Premium||As low as $13 for dogs and $8 for cats|
|Coverage||70 to 90 percent|
|Age Restrictions||Minimum: 8 weeks
Visit the Pets Best Pet Insurance website or get a quote for pet insurance
Visit Insurer WebsiteGet Quote
In this article, you will learn all you need to know to decide whether Pets Best Pet Insurance is the right choice for your furry family members. We will talk about the pros and cons of the plans, what you might expect to pay, what it covers, and how current customers feel about the plan that they have.
In This Article
What We Like
Pets Best has some great features, including the option for direct vet pay as well as the option to have exam fees covered. Here are some of the things we like about the company:
- One annual deductible. You will know up front what you will be paying toward your deductible, rather than paying a separate deductible for each incident or illness. This is good for budgeting purposes.
- Pays percentage of vet’s actual bill. Some pet insurance companies pay a percentage of what they feel is the right charge for a specific procedure, but Pets Best Pet Insurance covers the chosen percentage of the veterinarian’s actual bill.
- Routine care coverage. You have the option of choosing from one of two tiers of routine care coverage. This covers wellness care and no deductible applies.
- Lots of options. You can customize your plan to fit within your budget. Be aware that choosing no annual maximum and/or a low deductible will make your monthly premiums higher; this also means that choosing a plan with a lower monthly premium will mean that you will have a higher deductible and/or a lower maximum.
- No maximum age limits. Some pet insurance companies cut off benefits when a pet is 14 or 15 years old, but Pets Best does not have any such upper limit.
- 24-hour vet hotline. If you aren’t sure whether your pet needs to see a veterinarian or you need to discuss his symptoms, 24-hour telephone access to a vet is included with your policy.
- Optional direct vet pay. As long as your veterinarian agrees, payment can be assigned to the practice or the individual veterinarian.
- Easy claim submission. Claims can be submitted online, through the mobile app, via fax, email, or standard mail. It’s up to you!
- Supports pet charities. While this doesn’t impact the coverage itself, Pets Best supports pet-related charities, including the Idaho Humane Society, Pet Peace of Mind, and Dogs on Deployment. If you are looking for a way to support a charity with your pet insurance purchase, this might be a consideration.
What We Dislike
No pet insurance plan is perfect for everyone, and as with any other company, Pets Best has some features that aren’t among our favorites. Here they are:
- Some procedures and treatments are only covered when you purchase a specific plan. Exam fees, some alternative therapies, prescription medication, and rehabilitation might not be included with your plan.
- No coverage for certain alternative treatments. If you try herbal or holistic remedies with your pet, be aware that they will not be covered.
- Per-condition maximums. While you might not have an annual maximum, depending on the coverage you choose, you might have a per-incident or per-condition maximum. More expensive treatments (such as some surgeries or chemotherapy, for example) might not be covered in full once you hit that maximum.
- Coinsurance charged before deductible. Your coinsurance is the percentage of each claim that you are responsible for after your deductible has been met. Pets Best charges the coinsurance before applying your deductible. What this means is that if you take your pet in for a $100 procedure and your coinsurance is $20, that $20 is not applied toward your deductible.
When you are looking at various pet insurance policies, it’s important to know what each plan covers and does not cover. This can help you budget your money and decide if a particular plan is right for you. Note that with Pets Best, you have a lot of options and can decide to cover only accidents, for example, or that you want to include wellness care.
- Cancer treatment
- Hereditary conditions
- Emergency care
- Behavioral conditions
- Periodontal disease
What’s Not Covered
- Pre-existing conditions
- Elective procedures
- Parasite prevention or treatment
- Special diets
Options You Can Purchase
- Wellness/routine care
- Preventative care
- Accident-only coverage
- Exam fees
- Chiropractic treatments
- Physical rehabilitation
- Prescription medications
How Much Does Pets Best Pet Insurance Cost?
Pets Best Pet Insurance offers many different options to allow you to customize your plan to your budget. For those wanting only accident insurance, for example, it is just $9/month. For full coverage, you will need to get a free online quote to find out how much it will cost for your specific pet. The cost depends on where you live, what kind of pet you have, the age of the pet, and other factors.
We cannot possibly calculate the cost for every situation, so what we did was submit a quote for two hypothetical pets, a cat and a dog. Both pets were listed as mixed breeds and were 3 years old.
For our dog, the premiums ranged from $33 to $40 per month with no annual maximum, a $250 deductible, and 90 percent coverage. The most basic plan was the least expensive, and the plan with all of the optional coverage was the most expensive. Dropping the reimbursement level to 70 percent resulted in monthly premiums of $26 to $32 for the respective types of coverage. Raising the deductible to $1,000 dropped the premiums to between $13 and $17.
Cats are traditionally less expensive to insure, and that is true with Pets Best Pet Insurance. Our hypothetical feline’s basic coverage (no annual maximum, $250 deductible, and 90 percent coverage) would cost $20 to $25 per month. Dropping the reimbursement to 70 percent resulted in monthly fees between $16 and $19, and raising the deductible to $1,000 dropped the premiums to between $8 and $10.
For both pets, the wellness packages ranged from $16 to $26, depending on the specific coverage desired.
Discounts, Promotions, and Coupon Codes
Pets Best Pet Insurance offers a 5 percent multi-pet discount. There is also a 5 percent military discount, so be sure to indicate whether you or someone in your household is active or retired military personnel.
It is possible to find reviews for just about any service or product available, and Pets Best has its fair share of reviews online for the asking. When reading reviews, it is important to evaluate the details in order to judge whether the good or bad things being said could possibly apply to you. We have compiled several customer reviews to help you decide whether Pets Best Pet Insurance is the right choice for your family.
Customers of Pets Best Pet Insurance like the quick response times, timely handling of payment, and the option to have their veterinarians reimbursed directly.
We could not be happier with our experiences with Pets Best,since we decided 2 years ago,to finally obtain Insurance for our then new rescue cat! We have the Wellness Plan as well as the Illness and Accident policy,and with the quick response time for reimbursements,we do not need to be concerned about the initial payment to our Vet! Pets Best makes the entire process so easy and convenient,that all we do is await their e-mail letting us know they have received and processed the claim sent to them by our Vet,as well as alerting us that the reimbursement was sent to our account! The phone reps are also very helpful and caring, and concerned with any questions you may have for them.We highly recommend PetsBest,and we are glad we did our research and chose them to be our partners for our Maggie’s health needs! -Mert Bickum, 8/30/2019, Trustpilot.com
Pets Best was originally recommended to me by a medical doctor who knew someone knowledgeable about the insurance business. Within a very short time of getting the coverage, my one year old rescued dog developed a severe tailbone infection and had to have it removed which was a very expensive operation. Pets Best never gave me any problems about it or the other two surgeries that were done a few years later for torn ACLs and throughout each claim the reps I talked to showed only concern for my dog’s well being. Sure the rates have gone up over the years along with the high cost of living but when it strained my budget they worked with me to tailor the coverage down to something more affordable. I believe that if I stopped to do the math that I would still come out ahead and I’m not so sure that my now elderly dog would still be alive. I highly recommend Pets Best and have done so for years. -Sandra Mallory, 8/29/2019, Trustpilot.com
Negative reviewers complained mainly about the per-incident claim maximums and the policy of applying the coinsurance before the deductible. Some also complained about what they felt were unfair denials, which is a common issue that comes up with all pet insurance companies.
We’ve been with Pets Best Pet Insurance since 2010. We been paying $267.00 a month since Dec 2018. Now our dog’s got cancer and there is a maximum per-incident in the benefit.
It is disheartening the maximum per-incident claim maximums compared to the other Pet Insurance on the market.
Both my sisters are with Pets Best base on my recommendation. As soon as I realized there is a “maximum per-incident” in the benefit. I call them and they both are now with a Pet Insurance company that have “UNLIMITED per-incident ” in the benefit and lower monthly fees. -Linda Wu, 9/25/2019, Trustpilot.com
We are generally “ok” with Pets Best time to process claims and our receipt of claim payments.
We are not “ok” and do not like Pets Best policy provisions regarding the processing of charging us coinsurance costs BEFORE our Deductible is fulfilled for the year. All this does is lengthen the amount of time it takes to fulfill our Deductible and therefore costs us more money out of pocket.
When researching our concern, we found that the policy provision language in our documents are vague in regard to clearly communicating the timing of when coinsurance is to be charged to us (i.e., charging coinsurance during the dime we are filling our Deductible or only after we have fulfilled our Deductiible). When we brought this up to the company via their Service Department, the Department obviously did not care.
If we had realized Coinsurance was to be charged at the same time that the Deductible was being fulfilled WE WOULD HAVE NOT PURCHASED THIS PLAN. -Paul Morrissette, 9/28/2019, Trustpilot.com
The Final Verdict
Our final takeaway is that Pets Best Pet Insurance seems like a good, solid company. We like how much you can customize your plan, that there is the option for direct payments to your veterinarian, and that pets can’t age out like they can with many other pet insurance companies. On the other hand, pets with long-term conditions might meet their per-incident maximums relatively early, causing higher-than-expected vet bills. It is important to do your due diligence in choosing the pet insurance plan that is right for you. Go to Pets Best Pet Insurance to request a free quote today!