Choosing the right cat food for your cat requires you to weigh up many considerations, from nutritional value to taste. If you’ve opted for wet cat food for your feline’s diet, you will certainly be spoiled by choice. There are a seemingly endless number of wet cat food products on the market, each claiming to be the absolute best one for your cat. So how do you wade through the marketing claims to choose one that’s genuinely an ideal fit for your cat?
We’ve done the hard work by comparing dozens of different options. We made sure to take into account different preferences as well as health needs, so you’ll be able to pick the one that best matches what you’re looking for.
We’ve identified Wag Wet Cat Food as the perfect (or should we say, purrfect?) pick for anyone after a wet cat food that is not only nutritionally-sound and tasty, but is also raved about by thousands of customers. If you’re ready to learn more about this product and our other expert picks, take a read of our research-based guide below.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Wet Cat Foods
|Best Wet Cat Food Overall||Wag Wet Cat Food||3.8|
|Best Wet Cat Food for Senior Cats||Delectables Senior 10 Years+ Variety Pack||4.5|
|Best Budget Wet Cat Food||Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food||4.6|
|Best Kitten Wet Food||Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food||4.8|
|Best Grain Free Wet Cat Food||Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Wet Cat Food Overall: Wag Wet Cat Food
If only the best of the best will do for your cat, Wag Wet Cat Food is our top recommendation. There are five tantalizing flavors for your feline to feast on: Beef & Chicken (Pate), Beef (Pate), Chicken & Giblets (Pate), Salmon & Seafood in Gravy, and Turkey & Giblets (Pate). Each product is made in Canada with superior quality ingredients sourced from around the world.
Psst… if you’re after a massive discount, you can currently get 40% off your first purchase!
A huge draw card of Wag’s wet cat food range is that all of the formulas are free from added corn, wheat, and soy, as well as added artificial colors and flavors. What’s more, the first ingredient in each of them is high-quality meat, poultry, or fish (or a broth equivalent). For example, in each can of the Chicken & Giblets flavor, you’ll find real chicken as the first ingredient, while in the Beef & Chicken flavor, you’ll find beef broth as the first ingredient.
All of these attributes provide you with the peace of mind that your cat will get a nutritionally-packed meal each and every time. Another attractive feature we can’t help but mention is the attractive price tag. At only $12 for 24 cans, this price is definitely in budget territory—especially considering how high-quality this option is!
Wag Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- 24 x 3 oz. cans
- 5 flavor varieties
- High-quality ingredients only
- Free from added corn, wheat, and soy
- Made in Canada
Best Wet Cat Food for Seniors: Delectables Senior 10 Years+ Variety Pack
Is your older cat an unapologetic connoisseur when it comes to their daily meals? As you may have already discovered, many wet cat foods for senior cats aren’t very appetizing. They can lack taste and the texture can be a bit off off.
This isn’t the case with Delectables Senior 10 Years+ Variety Pack, however. Your cat won’t be able to get enough of the two flavors included in this variety pack: a tantalizing tuna and chicken bisque, and a chicken and tuna stew. You’ll get 6 packs of each flavor, which is a bonus if your cat craves variety. The texture is also wet enough that your cat will be able to easily lap up each meal without the sogginess that plagues many options.
Older cats have particularly dietary needs they need accounted for in their diet. These senior-specific recipes ensure these are all taken care of, by providing a 100% nutritionally complete meal that has the right levels of vitamins E and B for your older cat to stay healthy and happy. Cat owners will also appreciate the pack’s smart pouch design, which makes for easy serving and storing.
Delectables Senior 10 Years+ Variety Pack Key Features:
- Made specially for cats aged 10+
- 12 pouches of 1.4 ounces
- 2 flavors included: tuna and chicken bisque, and chicken and tuna stew
- Rich with vitamins E and B
- Easy to serve and store pouches
Best Budget Wet Cat Food: Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food
Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food is one of those rare budget buys that has all the features of more expensive wet cat foods without the hefty price tag. This seafood variety pack comes with a tempting range of flavors, namely, 8 x Tuna & Salmon, 8 x Tuna, Shrimp & Whitefish, and 8 x Tuna & Ocean Whitefish. Unlike many cheaper options that use fillers, you’ll find only real seafood used in each mix.
Another nice-to-have feature we love is that each meal comes in a mess-free cup. Yes, that means with Meow Mix’s wet food, you won’t need to go through the pain of trying to scrape every last morsel up. As the food comes out in one go, the innovative package design means that you can also keep food wastage to a minimum.
Meow Mix Simple Servings Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- 3 types of seafood combinations
- No fillers or meat by-products
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition
- Single-serve, mess-free portions
- Cost-effective price
Best Kitten Wet Cat Food: Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food
Are you looking for a wet food option that’s packed with real meat? If you’ve already been on the hunt, you’ll know that it’s surprisingly hard to find meals that use real meat and no fillers. Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food guarantees both for your growing kitten.
The grain free formula is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients, so you can feel confident that you’ll be feeding your kitten the food they need to get the best start in life. Many cat experts advise cats to eat grain free cat food as it is most similar to how a cat would eat in the wild.
It’s also worth keeping in mind that this product makes for a top wet food for kittens too. As you can see if you take a look at Amazon customer reviews, many cat owners became fans of this product after receiving a recommendation to buy it from their vet. See if it lives up to the hype by serving your kitty a plate.
Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Kitten Food Key Features:
- Specially formulated to address the nutritional needs of kittens
- 0% fillers
- Real meat is the #1 ingredient
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients
- High-protein formula
Best Grain Free Wet Cat Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food is enhanced with vitamins and minerals to make sure your cat is getting all the best nutrients, without any of the filler grains that can sometimes clog down a cat food. This is a high-protein food that will help your cat stay fuller faster, so he’s meowing for food less, which we think you’re sure to appreciate, too.
This listing provides your cat with twenty-four, three ounce cans of food so you can plan to run to the store fewer times a month and the promise from Blue Buffalo of no wheat or by-products, your cat is getting tasty foods that are excellent for him, too.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Wild Delights Grain Free Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- Free of any grains
- Real chicken and turkey; no by-products
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
Who Should Buy Wet Cat Food
Anyone with a feline in their life can choose to buy wet cat food to feed them. You should buy it if you’re looking for an alternative to dry cat food, or if you wish to give your cat a combination of both wet and dry meals. You should also buy it if you’d like to take advantage of the benefits associated with this kind of cat food (which we discuss further below).
Ultimately, it’s up to you and your vet decide whether wet cat food is the right choice for your cat. There are, in fact, many different features you can consider when choosing cat food. If you’d like to learn more about this, be sure to take a read of our reviews of the best raw cat foods and the best organic cat foods.
Important Features to Consider
As we mentioned above, it’s vital that you make an informed choice when selecting a wet cat food for your feline. It’s easy to assume that there’s little difference between products. However, there are in fact marked differences that are evident product to product. To assist you with comparing different products, keep the following features in mind:
- Flavor. The flavor of a given wet cat food will play a considerable role in whether or not the meal is well received by your cat. While you won’t be able to taste test the meal yourself, look for appetizing flavor combinations that you can safely bet your cat will munch up. Wet cat food is meat, poultry, or seafood based, so if you know they have a preference for one over the other, you may want to opt for that flavor at first. If your cat is open to variety, consider choosing a multi-pack that comes with a range of flavor combinations.
- Nutritional value. While flavor is certainly a crucial consideration, it’s important not to be tempted to buy a certain product just because it sounds like it will be delicious. You should also take a careful look at the ingredients to determine whether it will also provide your cat the nutritional support they need. Look if a product contains real meat, is free from fillers, and is packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
- The type of cat it’s made for. While you can choose a wet cat food product that is suitable for most cats, it’s well worth checking if there’s an option that is made with the needs of your cat in mind. For example, there are plenty of products that specifically target health concerns, such as sensitive stomachs and hairballs. There are also products that cater for the health needs of cats of different ages, namely, kittens and mature cats. If you’re looking for an easy way to boost your kitten or mature cat’s health, opt for an age-appropriate wet food product.
- Portion size. Portion sizes vary quite considerably between brands. As such, you’ll have to pay extra attention to how much each portion packs in. If your cat doesn’t eat too much, it could be a good idea to select products with smaller portion sizes to prevent any food from going to waste. On the other hand, if your cat is a big eater, products with more generous servings may be the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much wet cat food should you feed a cat?
In general, feeding your cat wet food every day is completely fine. In terms of portion size, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. It’s highly advisable to ask your veterinarian for their expert opinion on how much wet food you should feed your cat. They will take into account factors such as their size, age, weight, how much exercise they get, and any other health considerations that may impact their diet.
While the single portions of wet cat food you buy will be suitable for many cats, assuming that they will be right for your cat is not recommended. You could consequently over or underfeed your cat, so it’s always wise to err on the side of caution.
Is wet food better than dry food for cats?
There is no hard and fast answer for whether wet or dry food is better for cats. Expert opinion is divided, which is why it’s impossible to apply a blanket recommendation. There are advantages and disadvantages of both kinds of food, so it is up to you and your vet to determine which is best for your cat. Below, we’ve listed some general advantages and disadvantages of both kinds to consider:
Advantages of wet food:
- Higher moisture content
- More similar to food cats would eat in the wild
- Many cats find the taste more palatable
Advantages of dry food:
- Easier to serve
- Arguably better for cats’ teeth
- Can be kept out longer than dry cat food
Disadvantages of wet food:
- Tends to be more expensive than dry varieties
- Won’t assist with oral health
- Cannot be left out for long periods of time
Disadvantages of dry food:
- Cats who are fed dry food only are more prone to obesity and diabetes than those fed wet food only
- Greater vigilance is needed to ensure your cat won’t become dehydrated
- Tends to be higher in carbs and lower in protein
Is it okay to leave cat food out all day?
Whether or not it is okay to leave cat food out all day depends on whether it’s wet or dry. Generally speaking, dry cat food can be left out all day. As it tends to oxidize after 48 hours, this should be the absolute maximum it is kept out for.
Wet can food should not be left out all day. There is no consensus from experts about the amount of time wet food can be left out for, but they tend to recommend anywhere from 1 to 4 hours maximum. Wet food oxidizes much faster than dry food, so it is more prone to developing bacteria when left out. How long you can leave it safely out will depend on such factors as the temperature.
That all being said, it’s a good idea to feed your cat the right portions so there is minimal left over food in the first place.
Can you refrigerate wet cat food?
Most opened cans or packets of wet cat food can be refrigerated. It’s generally advised that you cover the top to help the food stay as fresh as possible. You will be able to store opened wet cat food in the fridge for around 3 to 5 days. If available, you should follow any instructions provided by the manufacturer regarding refrigeration.
Unopened cat food should usually be stored in the pantry. That is, unless you buy refrigerated wet cat food (that is, wet cat food that was refrigerated prior to purchase). In that case, you should ensure you refrigerate it ASAP.