Regular grooming is an important part of caring for your pup. It keeps their skin and coat clean and healthy, helps prevent infection, and even reduces the risk of parasite infestation. But if you’re the pet parent of a long-haired breed of dog, you’ll know that grooming can often be a challenge. One of the main reasons for this is that most long-haired dogs have thick undercoats that can become matted and tangled. Undercoat rakes are designed to break up stubborn tangles and remove loose fur and debris from your dog’s undercoat. This makes them indispensable for keeping your dog’s coat clean, healthy, and manageable.
We reviewed dozens of undercoat rakes to identify the best of the best, based on factors including design, functionality, affordability, and Amazon reviews. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated undercoat rakes available to buy today.
We’ve identified the FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool as the best choice for most pet parents. This popular and highly rated undercoat rake includes a range of useful features including a FURejector button, skin guard, and ergonomic handle.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Undercoat Rakes
|Best Overall||FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool||4.7|
|Runner Up||Pat Your Pet 2-Sided Undercoat Rake||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||FURminator Grooming Rake||4.7|
|Best Undercoat Rake for Small Dogs||Paws Pamper Undercoat Rake||4.7|
|Best Undercoat Rake for Large Dogs||Oster Dog Rake and Shedding Brush||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool
The FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool is specially designed to reach through the topcoat and remove loose undercoat hair without cutting skin or damaging the topcoat. The well-designed undercoat rake features a curved edge that conforms to your pet’s body shape, and a FURejector button to quickly and easily release hair. It also boasts an ergonomic handle for superior comfort, and an edge guard that protects the teeth when the tool is stored.
Other key features include a skin guard that glides over the skin without causing damage, and a stainless steel deshedding edge that easily removes loose hair. This product has received over 14,000 customer reviews on Amazon, and has an impressive overall rating of 4.7 stars. In fact, 83% percent of customers gave this undercoat rake a perfect rating of 5 stars!
FURminator for Dogs Undercoat Deshedding Tool Key Features:
- Easily removes loose undercoat hair without damaging the skin or topcoat
- FURejector button quickly and easily releases collected hair
- Comfortable, ergonomic handle
- Skin guard for added safety
- Perfect for short-haired dogs
Our Runner Up Pick: Pat Your Pet 2-Sided Undercoat Rake
The Pat Your Pet 2-Sided Undercoat Rake features a dual-headed design for effective all-over grooming. One side is equipped with 9 teeth to remove mats and tangles, while the other has 17 teeth for thinning and deshedding. The convenient grooming rake also comes complete with an ergonomic nonslip grip, and rounded outer teeth that gently massage the skin.
As an extra bonus, customers who purchase this undercoat rake will receive a cute paw tag that can be engraved on one side. The product is also backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Reviewers of the undercoat rake say it is very effective at removing loose hair and tangles.
Pat Your Pet 2-Sided Undercoat Rake Key Features:
- Convenient 2-in-1 design
- Ergonomic nonslip grip
- Rounded outer teeth that gently massage the skin
- Slightly sharpened inside blades that cut through stubborn mats
Best Budget Pick: FURminator Grooming Rake
If you’re looking for a wallet-friendly undercoat rake that makes short work of mats and tangles, check out the FURminator Grooming Rake. The all-purpose tool features rounded pins that fully rotate to remove mats and tangles with minimal skin irritation. It is also designed to follow the contours of your dog’s body for maximum ease of use.
The undercoat rake is ideal for use on pets with long coats, and has an ergonomic handle designed for long grooming sessions. Reviewers of the product say it’s easy to use and removes loose fur effectively.
FURminator Grooming Rake Key Features:
- Rounded pins rotate 360 degrees
- Comfortable, ergonomic handle
- Contoured head
- Suitable for use on pets with long coats
Best Undercoat Rake for Small Dogs: Paws Pamper Undercoat Rake
If you’re the pet parent of a small dog that sheds a lot, we recommend the Paws Pamper Undercoat Rake. It’s specially designed for small to medium size dogs, and features stainless steel blades with rounded edges to prevent skin damage. The undercoat rake also features a handcrafted wooden handle, and comes complete with a DIY dog grooming guide.
The rake effectively removes loose hair and breaks up tangles and mats. It’s great for heavy or double-coated dogs, and leaves the topcoat full and healthy. Reviewers of this undercoat rake praise its ease of use and durability.
Paws Pamper Undercoat Rake Key Features:
- Stainless steel blades with rounded edges
- Handcrafted wooden handle
- Effectively removes loose hair and breaks down tangles
- Specially designed for small to medium size dogs
Best Undercoat Rake for Large Dogs: Oster Dog Rake and Shedding Brush
The Oster Dog Rake and Shedding Brush is ideal for shaping, finishing, thinning, and de-shedding. It’s specially designed for large dog breeds, and features stainless steel blades with rounded ends. The durable undercoat rake is also easy to use, and removes dead undercoat without causing irritation.
The rake is easy to clean, rust resistant, and constructed from solid stainless steel. Reviewers say it’s fast, efficient, and great for large dogs with long hair and thick undercoats.
Oster Dog Rake and Shedding Brush Key Features:
- Ideal for shaping, finishing, thinning, and de-shedding
- Stainless steel blades with rounded ends
- Made from solid stainless steel
- Suitable for large dogs
Who Should Buy an Undercoat Rake
Undercoat rakes are designed to remove loose hair from a dog’s undercoat without damaging the skin or topcoat. They are ideal for double-coated dogs, especially long-haired breeds that are prone to matted or tangled hair.
If you’re the pet parent of a dog that sheds a lot, an undercoat rake can be an excellent investment. Just make sure to conduct thorough research and select a tool that’s safe, effective, and easy to use. When grooming your dog at home, it’s also worth considering investing in a dog grooming table with a nonslip surface to prevent accidents. We review the best dog grooming tables in a separate post.
Important Features to Consider
Undercoat rakes should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting the perfect undercoat rake for your four-legged friend:
- Size. Undercoat rakes are available in several sizes to suit different breeds of dog. Always read the manufacturer’s product information and select a tool that’s the right size for your dog. This will help ensure that the product you choose is easy to use, safe, and effective.
- Teeth. It’s important to choose an undercoat rake that has the right kind of teeth for your dog’s coat type. Rakes with fine teeth are best suited to short-haired dogs. By comparison, those with wider set teeth are ideal for dogs with heavy or long coats.
- Handle. Grooming your dog can take some time, so it’s vital to choose an undercoat rake with a comfortable handle. Ergonomic handles are an especially good choice as they are designed to fit comfortably in the palm of the hand.
- Durability. A good undercoat rake should last you for many years. Look for a rake that’s made from strong, durable materials such as stainless steel, wood, and hardened plastic.
- Ease to clean. An undercoat rake can collect a lot of loose hair, so it’s worth choosing a model that’s easy to clean. Rakes with teeth set slightly apart are less prone to clogging than those with closely set teeth. However, some fine-toothed undercoat rakes features buttons that eject fur from the tool.
- Safety. Choose an undercoat rake with inbuilt safety features that will protect your pet’s skin and prevent tugging and pulling. Examples of safety features include rounded teeth and raised edges that allow the tool to glide across the surface of the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an undercoat rake and how does it work?
An undercoat rake is a tool with small teeth designed to reach through a dog’s topcoat and remove loose hair from the undercoat. The tool also helps break up stubborn mats and tangles on long-haired dogs.
What is an undercoat on a dog?
Some breeds of dog have a double coat made up of two layers: the topcoat and the undercoat. The undercoat is a soft layer of fur that lies close to the skin. Its main purpose is to protect a dog against extreme temperatures in summer and winter.
How often should I use an undercoat rake?
If your dog has a thick undercoat that mats or tangles easily, an undercoat rake can be used daily to help keep their coat healthy and manageable. If your dog has a thinner undercoat, grooming them once or twice a week should suffice.
Can you shave a dog with an undercoat?
No. It is not advisable to shave a double-coated dog. A dog’s fur protects them from the elements, helps regulate their body temperature, and guards against health issues such as allergies and skin diseases.