Dogs love spending time outdoors, but they need a way to stay contained and safe from dangers. If you don’t have a fenced-in yard or electric fence, an outdoor dog kennel is a perfect option. A kennel gives your dog the benefit of playing outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air while keeping him safe and secure. Don’t forget that keeping your dog safe outdoors, also means protecting them from the sun, especially if you live in a place that has lots of sunshine year round. Read more on the best products for protecting your dog from the sun.
We looked at dozens of outdoor dog kennels in order to find the best, highest-quality, most secure outdoor dog kennels at any budget, based on factors such as size, quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated kennels that are on the market today.
Meet the Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel, the best outdoor kennel you can buy for your dog
We’ve identified the Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel as the best kennel overall. While it’s a little pricier than some of our kennel picks, it’s made from high-quality stainless steel, has a rust-resistant coating, and includes a heavy-duty waterproof cover. These features, coupled with the fact that it’s easy to install, make it an excellent choice for smart dog owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Best Outdoor Dog Kennels
|Best Overall||Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel||4.3|
|Runner Up||Advantek Pet Gazebo Modular Outdoor Dog Kennel||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Oxgord Heavy Duty Portable Metal Exercise Dog Playpen||4.5|
|Best Large Outdoor Dog Kennel||PetSafe Box Kennel for Pets||3|
|Best Dog Run and Kennel||K9 Kennel Store 8’ X 16’ Welded Wire Ultimate Dog Kennel System||N/A|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel
If you’re looking for a safe and secure outdoor dog kennel, the Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel takes the cake. This kennel is affordable compared to some of the other options on the market, ranging in price from $144.00 to $249.88, depending on size. However, the quality of this kennel isn’t compromised by the price. It is constructed with stainless steel bars and wire mesh, which are welded together before applying a two-step rust-resistant coating to increase durability. Reviewers love how easy it is to put together. They’re also impressed with how streamlined the wire design looks compared to some of the chain-link options on the market.
This kennel also features a heavy-duty waterproof cover with UV protection to keep your pooch safe from the sun and rain. The kennel even has 1.5 inch raised legs so you can easily reach in with a broom or vacuum to clean the kennel floor.
Reviewers say this kennel stands up to tricky escape artists who were able break through other enclosures. The Lucky Dog Uptown Kennel comes in three sizes to suit dogs of any size. The largest size is n three sizes to suit large breed dogs of any size. The large size measures 6’H x 4’W x 8’L, the medium size 6’H x 4’W x 4’L, and smallest size measures 6’H x 4’W x 4’L.
Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel Key Features:
- Heavy-duty waterproof cover to give your pet protection from sun and rain
- High-quality stainless steel welds
- Rust-resistant powder coat
- Full swinging gate for easy entry and exit
- Secure latch that can be locked with a padlock
- No tools required for assembly
- 1.5″ raised legs to allow for easy floor cleaning
Our Runner-up: Advantek Pet Gazebo Modular Outdoor Dog Kennel
A heavy-duty waterproof cover will give your pet protection from the sun, while high-quality stainless steel will keep him safe and secure.
A bit more budget-friendly, but still an amazing option is the Advantek Pet Gazebo Outdoor Dog Kennel. This dog kennel features an 8–sided “gazebo” style with a waterproof cover. This kennel takes just minutes to set up, making it extremely portable for on-the-go lifestyles.
The Advantek Pet Gazebo also comes in three sizes. The small size measures 48 x 48 x 48 inches and costs $109.99; the medium size measures 60 x 60 x 60 inches and costs $129.00; and the large size measures 90 x 90 x 90 inches and costs $299.99.
Reviewers love the fact that it only takes five minutes to put together and that the sturdy construction holds up to their rambunctious pooches.
Advantek Pet Gazebo Modular Outdoor Dog Kennel Key Features:
- 8-sided, octagon shape
- Weather-proof cover to protect your pet from the elements
- Quick and easy set up making it “travel-friendly”
Best Budget pick: Oxgord Heavy Duty Portable Metal Exercise Dog Playpen
For pet owners who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price, the Oxgord Dog Kennel comes highly recommended.
At just $84.95, the Oxgord Heavy Duty Portable Dog Playpen is the best dog kennel for budget-friendly pet owners who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. Its 8-panel design allows for multiple shape configurations. When using all eight panels, it provides approximately 30 square feet of play space.
It’s made of durable rust-resistant metal with rounded edges to keep pets safe. It’s also easily portable – perfect for RVers who take their pets on the road. Reviewers love that it’s sturdy and can hold up to wear and tear from their pooches.
Oxgord Heavy Duty Portable Metal Exercise Dog Playpen Key Features:
- 8 panels made from quality-constructed metal
- Rust-resistant coating to ensure durability and longevity
- Easy portability with long rods to hold the kennel in place
Looking for more pet playpens? Check out our list of The Best Playpens for Dogs.
Best Large Outdoor Dog Kennel: PetSafe Box Kennel for Pets
The PetSafe Box Kennel gives big dogs the space they need to run and play.
If you’re looking for a kennel that will give your dog tons of space to run and play, look no further than the PetSafe Box Kennel for Pets. It measures 10 x 10 x 6 feet, providing your dog with approximately 100 feet of fully-enclosed space to exercise, do his business, and even take a nap. It features a chain-link construction with galvanized, rust-resistant steel.
Reviewers say this kennel is a great bang for your buck. At just $238.75, it’s the biggest on the market for the best price. Though they admit that it’s a bit time consuming to put together, it’s worth it in the end for a solid and sturdy kennel that will stand the test of time.
PetSafe Box Kennel for Pets Key Features:
- Measures 10 x 10 x 6 feet– perfect for large breed dogs
- Full-size chain link kennel
- Galvanized steel, rust-resistant construction
- Full-sized door for easy entry and exit.
Best Kennel and Run: K9 Kennel Store 8’ X 16’ Welded Wire Ultimate Dog Kennel System
The K9 Ultimate Dog Kennel System is everything you ever wanted in a dog kennel but didn’t even know you needed
If you’re looking for the best all-in-one package, look no further than the K9 Kennel Store 8’ X 16’ Welded Wire Ultimate Dog Kennel System. This is a monster dog kennel that includes a canvas covered area for your dog to get some shelter and an extended area for him to run. It also includes a swivel feeding bowel so you can feed your pet without going into the enclosure, a tile floor to prevent dogs from digging out of the kennel, and its own septic system for easy waste disposal.
At $1,935.00, it’s certainly not a cheap option, but the K9 Ultimate Dog Kennel System offers everything you could want in a dog kennel and run. It’s the perfect option for dog owners who need to leave their dogs outside for an extended period of time or those who run their own dog-boarding facility as it can safely house multiple dogs at once.
K9 Kennel Store 8’ X 16’ Welded Wire Ultimate Dog Kennel System Key Features:
- 8 X 16 feet of all steel construction with rust protection
- Swivel bowl system that allows you to feed your pet without entering the dog kennel
- Septic system for easy waste disposal
- An 8’ X 8′ canvas cover to protect your pet from the weather and sun
- Digging prevention system to keep your dog from digging an escape route out of the kennel
Who Should Buy an Outdoor Dog Kennel
Your dog provides you with undying love and companionship. In turn, you should provide him with everything he needs to thrive. Dogs are at their best when they have a chance to run and play in the outdoors and breathe in the fresh air. However, you can’t just open your door and let them outside. There are just too many dangers for free-roaming dogs, such as cars, other dogs, and the possibility of getting lost. Not to mention the fact that it’s illegal in most places. Dogs need a space outdoors that will keep them safe and contained – and one they can call their own.
Outdoor kennels are a great option if you plan on leaving your dog unsupervised for a short while. While they’re not meant to house your dog for long periods of time, they are a perfect option to keep your dog contained a few hours each day. Many owners of dogs who display destructive behaviors in the home opt to place their pets in an outdoor kennel when they go to work each day. Additionally, dog owners who travel or live in an RV take portable dog kennels to allow their dogs to get some fresh air at their campsite. Dog kennels are also a great option for those running their own dog-boarding facility as many can hold multiple dogs at once.
Important Features to Consider
An outdoor dog kennel should be safe and secure. It should hold up to the harsh outdoor weather and wear and tear from your dogs. Here’s what to consider when selecting an outdoor kennel for your dog:
- Material. Most dog kennels are constructed of stainless steel, galvanized steel, or another heavy-duty material. Different materials will provide a wide array of durability and protection against rust. Dog kennels also use a variety of materials to keep the dog secure within the enclosure, such as wire, metal, chain-link, or heavy-duty plastic. Some dogs are escape artists and can break through weaker types of material, so it’s important to think about the temperament of your dog.
- Size. Outdoor dog kennels come in a large variety of sizes. The dimensions of the kennel that you want will depend on your dog’s size and how many dogs will be using the enclosure. You want to ensure that the kennel you choose provides your dog with enough spaced to move around and play. You also want to consider the size of any extra items you’ll be placing other items in the kennel, such as a food and water bowl or a bed.
- Weather resistant. If you’re planning on keeping your kennel outdoors, you’ll want it to be sturdy and stand up to all types of weather.
- Covered roof. Some kennels come with covered tops of varying material, such as canvas, tarp, and weather-resistant fabric while others do not. Roofs provide dogs with UV protection from the sun and keep out rain and snow in the winter.
- Number of Doors. You’ll also want to consider how many doors you dog kennel has and how large those doors are safely let your pet in and out.
- Locking system. A lot of locking mechanisms may be easily outwitted by smart dogs. Some kennels provide their own dog-proof doors while others require the use of a padlock.
- Flooring. Some dogs can escape kennels by digging through the dirt floor. If your dog is a digger, look for flooring or digging bars that sit at the edge of the kennel.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an outdoor dog kennel?
An outdoor kennel is basically an enclosure where you can keep your dog safely contained outside your house. Outdoor dog kennels are available in a variety of different materials, colors, and designs.
What is a dog kennel and run?
A “kennel” typically refers to a confined space where a dog can sleep and eat. A “run” is typically an exercise run where the dog can play and exercise. Commercial kennels, like the ones you’d see in dog shelters, have a small space (the “kennel”) attached to a larger space (the “run”). Many of the kennels you’ll find on the market for household use are large enough to accommodate for both the “kennel” and the “run”.
Can a dog live outside?
Dogs cannot live outside. Dogs are extremely social creatures and crave human companionship. Making them live outside deprives them of their natural desires and leaves them lonely and isolated. Dogs are also at risk for overheating in the summer and frostbite in the winter. It’s important to know when your pooch has had enough outdoor time and is ready to come indoors for comfort and safety.
What size outdoor dog kennel do I need?
There is not a one-size-fits-all kennel. Dogs all have different breeds, ages and sizes, which you need to take into consideration when selecting a kennel. You shouldn’t put your dog in a kennel that’s too small or he can feel suffocated and uncomfortable.
A good rule of thumb is to choose a kennel that’s at least three times as big as your dog. This gives him enough space to walk around and sprawl out to sleep. You’ll also want the sides of the kennel to be high enough that your dog can’t jump out. If it’s covered, make sure your dog has enough room to stand up completely straight with a little room to spare.
Other Outdoor Dog Kennels We Reviewed
Meet the Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel, the best outdoor kennel you can buy for your dog
We looked at 20 other outdoor dog kennels. Even though they didn’t make our five best outdoor dog kennels list, list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Covered Outdoor Dog Kennels
- Large Outdoor Dog Kennels
- Small Outdoor Dog Kennels
- Portable Outdoor Dog Kennels
Covered Outdoor Dog Kennels
The BestPet Heavy Duty Dog Cage features welded steel bars with wire mesh and a waterproof cover to keep your dog protected in any weather outside. Reviewers said it was easy to put together and were pleased with the level of security it offers.
- Welded steel bars with two-step powder coat for durability
- Waterproof tarp cover
- Pre-assembled panels and gate
- Dog-safe lockable latch
The Neocraft Companion Pet Kennel fits small to medium sized dogs. It’s easy to assemble and folds flat for storage. It features a covered roof and a double door that allows you access to the inside of the kennel without opening the entire front door.
- Innovative easy-access double door
- Folds flat for storage
- Includes a dual-sided canopy cover to protect your dog from the elements
The PawHut Outdoor Covered Dog Box Kennel is built with commercial-grade galvanized steel and includes a reversible UV-resistant canopy. It also features a full-height door to allow large dogs to pass in and out.
- 100% commercial-grade galvanized steel construction
- Reversible weather and UV-resistant canopy top offers rain and sun protection
- Full-height door
The strong steel frame, secure chain-link construction, and polyethylene sun-resistant fabric all make the MidWest Homes Dog Kennel a great pick for smart dog owners. The manufacturer even includes a one-year warranty to ensure satisfaction.
- One year warranty
- Protective woven polyethylene fabric that provides 80% UV protection
- Quick and easy set up
The K9 Condo and Dog Run features a 4 x 8 foot dog run with a connected external dog house for your dog to relax. It also features a raised flooring system for easy cleaning and swivel bowl system so you can feed your pooch without entering the enclosure.
- External dog house creates more room for playtime
- Weather-resistant tarp cover included
- Swivel bowl system for easy feeding time
The PetSafe Cottage box kennel measures 5 x 5 x 4 feet and features a SunBloc top to keep your pet cool in the sun. It features a large door with a pinch-proof gate.
- Durable rust-resistant, black powder coated finish
- Pinch-proof gate
- Easy set-up in less than an hour.
Large Outdoor Dog Kennels
For pet owners who have a large breed dog and need a big kennel with lots of space, the Lucky Dog CL 54150 Modular Kennel doesn’t disappoint. It comes in three different sizes, with the largest measuring 6 x 10 x 10 feet. Reviewers say it keeps their large breed dogs (like Huskies and German Shepherds) safely contained.
- Measures 6 x 10 x 10 feet – perfect for large breed dogs
- 100% commercial grade steel and wire
- Dog-safe lockable latch
Cost: $700 (for the largest size)
With the entire structure made completely of welded-steel, this dog kennel features the ultimate durability. The Lucky Dog Box Modular Kennel isn’t suitable for puppies or small dogs as the vertical gaps are about 2.5 inches but works for medium or large-size dogs.
- Seamless welding over the entire structure for durability
- Black powder coat provides and rust resistance
- Measures 6 X 5 X 10 to give large dogs plenty of room
This dog kennel features 66.52 square feet of play space, perfect for multiple dogs. You can easily multiple sets to create an even bigger space.
- 16 panels for versatile configuring
- Metal ground stakes to secure the playpen in place.
- Steel panel with hinged door and door latch
The Paw Essentials Dog Playpen is easily portable and made of durable, heavy-duty materials. The panels interlock securely and can be positioned in different shapes depending on your space.
- Light-weight and easy to assemble and disassemble for transport or storage
- Recommended for medium and large dogs
- Interlocking panels
The ALEKO Dog Kennel features rust-resistant galvanized steel with heavy duty 1-inch tube frame. It measures 5 x 5 x 4 feet for medium to large dogs.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Easy to set up
- Large door to make exit and entry easy for your pooch
The Giantex Large Pet Dog Run comes in three sizes, the largest measuring 10 x 10 feet. It is made with galvanized steel and chain link for long-lasting durability.
- A quick-connect frame for easy assembly
- Lockable steel door latch and steel wire ties for extra safety
- Can be purchased with or without a water-resistant cover
Small Outdoor Dog Kennels
The Silverylake Dog Crate is the perfect option for small to medium sized dogs. It features an easy-to-clean steel tray and four casters for portability.
- Heavy-duty steel frame for strength and durability
- Four casters for easy moving
- The grate floor and steel tray can be slid out for easy cleaning
- Double door design for easy access
The SMONTER Heavy Duty Strong Metal Dog Cage is made with escape artists in mind. The heavy-duty steel frame, double-door design, and two dog-proof latches will keep even the strongest pooches inside.
- Four casters for easy moving
- Double door design with one on top and the other for easy access
- Front Door with two latches
The Homey Pet Extra Large Heavy Duty Metal Dog Cage will keep even the most persistent Houdini in his cage. For dogs up to 150 lbs, this crate ensures the best protection for your pet.
- Feeding double-door makes feeding a breeze
- Double chain lock and all metal design
- Plastic floor grid is comfortable on pets’ feet
Portable Outdoor Dog Kennels
The Courtyard Kennel features six panels made with durable, rust-resistant galvanized steel with a decorative silver crack finish. The kennel features six separate panels that allow for versatility in configuration, portability and storage.
- Includes six 38” high, 3 foot wide panels
- Constructed of durable, rust-resistant galvanized steel with a decorative silver crack finish
- Includes a set of long pins for outdoor use and short removable corner pins for indoor use
The IRIS Pet Playpen provides 21 square feet of exercise space year pet and can easily be extended with additional panels. It’s made from durable, heavy-duty molded plastic, which means it will never rust.
- Eight interlocking panels with full-length connecting rods
- Made of durable, heavy-duty molded plastic
- Hinged access door with double steel latches
The BestPet Playpen/Dog Kennel doesn’t offer much in terms of stability, but it makes up for that in price. For just $36.99, you get eight panels 24 x 36 inch panels for lots of play space. It’s also easily set up, making it the perfect choice for short-term use.
- Easy to set up and take down
- Coated with ultra-durable coating to reduce rusting
- Folds flat
The Safstar Heavy Duty Pet Exercise Playpen features 8 panels with one door. The total enclosure measures 40 x 40x 31 inches and can be arranged in multiple configurations.
- Provides approximately 27 square feet enclosed area for your dog
- 5-minute set up
- Powder-coated black vein construction with metal stakes for easy panel arrangement
This AmazonBasics playpen features durable iron metal with a rust-proof black finish. With 8 connected panels, each measuring 48 by 24 inches it creates a 64 square-foot enclosure.
- Sets up in seconds with no tools required
- Folds flat for compact storage
- Includes an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty