As pet parents, you probably spend a lot of time thinking about the food your dog eats: What are the best organic dog foods? Which brands offer the best nutrition? What flavors does your pup like the best? Which foods offer the best cost-value balance? From natural dog foods to organic pet food delivery services; then there are grain-free options, wholesome and holistic offerings, and high-protein dog foods – both as dried kibble and canned wet food – there are plenty of options for you to evaluate. Finding the right natural or organic dog food for your pet means reading reviews, studying ingredients lists, and diving into the ins and outs of natural vs. grain-free vs. organic dog foods.
If you are interested in seeing some other food or treat options for your pets, make sure to check out our pet food and treats articles.
We reviewed dozens of organic and natural dog food brands to find the best of the best, based on Amazon reviews, quality of ingredients, cost, and other considerations. We narro∂wed our search down to 5 of the top-rated natural and organic dog foods pet parents can purchase to ensure a healthy diet for their dog.
We’ve identified Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food as the best bet. With seven flavor varieties and ingredients such as antioxidants and probiotics, this all natural dog food is one that will keep your dog interested thanks to great flavor while simultaneously providing him with essential nutrients. These benefits allow pet parents to feel confident in their choice and know that they’re providing a top-quality diet for their beloved four-legged friend.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Organic Dog Foods
|Our Vet's Top Pick||Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food||4.4|
|Runner Up||Merrick Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food||4.3|
|Best Organic Dry Dog Food||Organix Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food||4.3|
|Best Organic Wet Dog Food||Organix Organic Canned Adult Dog Food||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Vet’s Top Pick: Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food is an all around win for your pup. Each of it’s 7 available flavors are grain-free and boast no meat by-products or fillers and no artificial preservatives or flavors. This natural dog kibble is fortified with fish oils, flaxseed oil, antioxidants, and probiotics, as well as a full range of vitamins and minerals balanced for your dog’s needs. This dog food is full of foods you’d put on your own plate, so why not put it in your dog’s bowl?
Depending on the size and flavor you decide to go with, you’re looking at a price between $12 to $63 and the quality more than justifies that price. It has a rating of 4.4 on Amazon with over 3,300 people reviewing it, which we think goes a long way in convincing.
It is important to note, this isn’t an organic dog food, but it is a natural one, which means it’s still made with premium ingredients; just not classified as organic. The quality of this dog food is backed by the Wellness Guarantee and some reviewers even claim this food has minimized shedding, decreased anxiety and helped overweight dogs shed some pounds.
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Key Features:
- 7 Available Flavors/Versions: Ocean Formula, Original Formula, Puppy Formula, Reduced Fat Formula, Small Breed Formula, Wild Game Formula, and Large Breed Formula
- All natural, 100% grain-free dog food with no fillers, meat by-products, soy, corn, wheat gluten, or grains. Does not contain any artificial colors, preservatives or flavors.
- Made in the USA
For additional puppy food suggestions, find our list of the Best-Rated Quality Food For Puppies.
Our Runner Up Pick: Merrick Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food
Merrick Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food is so proud of its ingredients that they place the bulk of their ingredient list right on the front in big bold font. The first 5 ingredients are ones that knock it out of the park: deboned beef, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, peas and potatoes. Everything in the top 5 are things you’d put on your plate – if you ate well balanced and healthy meal, that is.
This grain-free dog food is a high protein food in each of it’s 9 available flavors; boasting a 70% protein recipe and 30% fruits and vegetables. Merrick even makes the effort to buy their ingredients locally and only if they’re unavailable do they pursue other sources. The manufacturer includes a chart for recommended portions and calories per day along with tips on how to transition to a new dog food.
It has over 2,000 reviews on Amazon with a rating of 4.3, you know plenty of people are sold on the quality and value of this dog food. And with the Omega-3s and Omega6s, you’ll very likely see the improvement in your pup’s joints and coat, too.
Merrick Grain Free Recipe Dry Dog Food Key Features:
- 9 Available Flavors: Buffalo, Chicken, Duck, Lamb, Rabbit, Salmon, Texas Beef, Turkey, and Venison
- Very high in protein, offering a nutritional breakdown of 70% meat protein and 30% fresh produce
- Absolutely no ingredients from China
- Grain-free no corn, wheat, soy or gluten ingredients
Best Budget Pick: Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food is a budget-friendly, big-name natural dog food that focuses on your pup’s nutritional needs without the extra fuss or extra cash. At less than $40 for a 40 pound bag, you won’t break the bank making sure your fury friend gets the quality he deserves. Meats are the first two ingredients and following them are whole grains and vegetables that will make sure your pup has a well balanced diet.
The Rachel Ray brand was built on simple recipes, with her first successful show being 30-Minute Meals on Food Network. Ray has since taken that philosophy and applied it to her line of dog foods. This dog food contains no less than 26% protein and 14% crude fat with no artificial flavors or poultry by-products. The recipe is certified to meet all standards by the Association of American Feed Control Officials for all a dog’s life stages.
The bag of food itself contains specific and handy charts and instructions on how much a weaning puppy, a growing puppy and an adult dog should eat and how often. It also includes details of a quality guarantee, which states if you’re unsatisfied with the food, you can call for a full refund; which makes this dog food virtually risk free!
Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food Key Features:
- 2 Flavors: Turkey Brown Rice & Venison, Real Beef and Brown Rice
- The first ingredient is U.S. farm-raised meat, an excellent source of high quality protein
- Supports health digestion with natural prebiotics
- No artificial flavors or artificial preservatives
Best Organic Dry Dog Food: Organix Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food
Let your dog indulge with Organix Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food by satisfying his appetite for real meat, with no grains, gluten or fillers. This organic dog food is made from USDA-certified organic, free-range chicken.
The meat is sourced in the USA and freeze dried raw, providing him as close to an ancestral meal as you can pick up in the dog food aisle. This may even be better, because you can ensure the meat he’s consuming comes from meat raised organically and produced naturally. The recipe is packed with a dog superfood blend of organic flaxseed, organic blueberries, and organic coconut oil.
Because the food is packed with nutrients and taste, you can even use each of these bits as individual treats, if you so choose. You can, of course, serve it as a standalone meal, or mix into your pup’s favorite kibble.
Organix Small Breed Recipe Dry Dog Food Key Features:
- 6 Available Flavors
- 100% free-range and organic. Made with probiotics and prebiotic fiber
- No artificial preservatives, chemical pesticides, no fillers, no grains, no coloring, and added growth hormones or antibiotics
- Made in an organically certified kitchen in the USA
Best Organic Wet Dog Food: Organix Organic Canned Adult Dog Food
Organix Organic Canned Adult Dog Food is a USDA certified organic food that also guarantees no GMOs, so if you’re strict on the certifications your dog food has – this is the one for you. As the manufacturer says, “The potential benefits of an organic diet for your dog or cat include a reduction of allergies and itchy skin, reduced digestion problems, and better health overall.”
You can also be sure that this food has none of the extras that may be bad for your pooch. No added hormones or antibiotics, no artificial preservatives or chemical pesticides; only ingredients you wouldn’t mind eating yourself. It comes in 4 different flavors and each one lists the #1 ingredient as meat (either chicken or turkey). The remaining ingredients are vegetables and/or brown rice and other super foods that will make sure your dog is getting optimum nutrition.
One thing you may consider worthy of note is the layer of fat that often hardens on the top of the can. Not only is this something you shouldn’t worry about, it’s a sign of “real food” ingredients. When you pull your leftover pot roast from the refrigerator you see the same layer and for the same reason: Fat hardens when it cools. You can stir it enthusiastically or warm it a bit before serving and your dog will lap it right up.
Organix Organic Canned Adult Dog Food Key Features:
- 4 Available Flavors: Chicken and Brown Rice, Turkey, Carrot & Potato, Turkey and Vegetables, and Chicken and Potato
- USDA certified organic ingredients, formulated with essential vitamins and mineral
- Product of the USA
- No chemicals, chemical pesticides, hormones or antibiotics
Who Should Buy Organic Dog Food?
If you buy organic food for yourself then you very likely already know the answer to why a person should feed their dog organic. In 2013, Ria Chhabra did a middle school Science Fair project where she compared the effects of fruit flies eating an all organic diet to fruit flies eating non-organic foods of the same type. The NY Times wrote an article on her findings in 2013 claiming, “By nearly every measure, including fertility, stress resistance and longevity, flies that fed on organic bananas and potatoes fared better than those who dined on conventionally raised produce.”
You should note, however, that the label of “Organic” does not necessarily make your dog’s food healthier. There is organic candy, after all. You can have organic sugars and fruits and even organic grains that are disproportionate to the meat in your dog food. You should still look at the ingredients to make sure that what you’re feeding your dog is healthy. You can feed your dog a healthy diet without it being organic and you can feed your dog an organic food and it still be incredibly unhealthy.
Important Features to Consider
Not all natural or organic dog foods are created equal. Here’s what to consider when evaluating the options in search of the best natural or organic diet for your pet:
- Organic vs. natural. When dealing with dog food, ‘Natural’ and ‘Organic’ are often used in conjunction, but not always. The term ‘Natural’ generally means the meat was produced naturally, without any artificial ingredients; usually coloring, flavors, sweeteners or preservatives. But ‘Natural’ doesn’t apply to the way the meat was produced; so the cows or chickens could have been fed hormones or antibiotics. ‘Organic’ refers to the way the meat was produced and the end result; meaning they must be fed an all organic diet and have a higher standard of living conditions.
- Grain-free vs. gluten-free. It’s important to note that gluten-free isn’t the same as grain-free, so if for some reason you suspect your dog has an allergy to grains, you’ll need to look a bit deeper than just a gluten-free dog food. There are types of grain that do not contain gluten and therefore you can get a gluten-free dog food that still contains grains. If you’re trying to avoid any “filler” ingredients and you think grain may be that for your dog, look out for the common “gluten-free grains,” including quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat.
- Select organic ingredients vs. all-organic. Once you’ve determined that the way the food was raised is important to you, you’ll need to look even closer at that label. If the label reads “USDA Organic” the contents are at least 95% organic as is recognized by the USDA. The dog food that declares it is “Made with Organic Ingredients,” at least 70% of the ingredients meet the criteria for the USDA’s organic standards.
- Non-generics. We don’t mean “name brand” when we write ‘generic;’ we mean in the ingredient list. You’ll want to stick to ingredients that give specifics. Avoid the “Meat protein,” “Animal By products” or “Animal Fat” and look for the animal and meat to be named specifically. The same will go for any ingredient. If it’s not named it could very well be a combination of otherwise unusable food. There’s a parallel between this and the meat that goes into a hot dog; except for dog food the standard is much lower than for human food.
- Recognizable ingredients. Ideally, you should be able to recognize the bulk of your dog food’s ingredients. There are very likely minerals, vitamins and preservatives you won’t recognize but your pup may benefit by you familiarizing yourself with these so you can identify unwanted ingredients. Ingredient lists put what they contain the most of first so you want to look for a dog food that lists ingredients you recognize in the first handful of ingredients.
- Recalls. Some ingredients have had mandatory recalls and others have had voluntary recalls. You may want to smarten up on past recalls to make sure you’re not getting a dog food that has ingredients other brands have voluntarily recalled. For example, recently a leading dog food manufacturer voluntarily recalled a number of its products after finding Pentobarbital within them. Pentobarbital is used in significantly greater doses to induce euthanasia on pets and therefore, probably not something you’d want to give your pooch. The FDA provides an updated list of pet food recalls for easy reference here, and the American Veterinary Medical Association maintains a list here. Another helpful resource for keeping an eye on dog food recalls is Dog Food Advisor.
- Price point. At some point, you may find it’s simply less expensive to make your own dog food so you can better control the quality and freshness. But you will need to consider the time that goes into making these foods at home. Your time does equal money so don’t bite off more than you can chew or more than is financially worth it to you.
- Regulations and certifications. The FDA is the primary source that regulates dog food and each state has a Department of Agriculture that has a secondary authority over pet food; both of these agencies regulate but do not always enforce. The USDA and the AAFCO have no regulatory authority but have voluntary inspections in place to gain food certification. If it’s certified, you’ll see it very clearly on the label. Note, though not all dog foods are certified, the certification process is often pricey and some companies just opt not to go through that. And very often it’s just the ingredients that are certified. So it will say, for example, “Made with USDA beef” but the dog food itself isn’t certified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are grain-free dog foods better?
Can you give raw meat to a dog?
If you choose to purchase raw pet food, you’ll have to worry substantially less (but keep in mind you will still need to keep an eye on your dog’s response to the raw food diet). Dog Food Manufacturers need to adhere to FDA suggested regulations, but remember, no matter how strictly they adhere to those regulations, raw food comes with a certain amount of risk of bacterial infections.
What is the healthiest food to feed your dog?
If you’re looking to buy a healthy dog food, we have some recommendations on brands but if you’re looking independently, you’ll want to look through ingredient lists to find a specific animal protein at the top of the list, whole vegetables fruits and grains and a protein meal combined with any fresh or frozen protein. Fresh and frozen contain up to 75% water, so combining it with a protein meal (which is only 10% water) will get you the most bang for your buck.
What is dog food made out of?
Before you buy a dog food, take a look at the ingredients list; there are a few things you can keep in mind to help you decipher the quality of your dog’s food. The less expensive brands are generally poorer quality and higher priced are higher quality. But there are other factors to keep in mind. For example, if your dog food doesn’t list meat as it’s first ingredient, that’s usually a bad sign. Unspecified meat is another indicator that the quality isn’t especially high; that is, “Animal” or “Meat” instead of “Chicken” or “Beef.” You’ll also want to look for artificial flavoring, colors, and some preservatives. (Natural preservatives don’t preserve foods as long as the artificial ones, so always check your ‘best by’ dates.) Added sweeteners are often used to mask the taste of a primarily grain food so the dog will still eat it, despite it’s lack of protein.
Wet dog food is higher in moisture and often necessary for dogs with sore mouths or missing teeth. The recipes for wet dog foods are typically higher in protein and fat than the dry food counter parts, but because it’s already wet, more will need to be consumed for proper nutrition. You will still need to make sure there is a decent meat to grain ratio, though, because often the protein gels will form meat-like chunks that give the illusion of more meat than is actually present.
Other Organic Dog Foods We Reviewed
We looked at 46 other organic dog foods. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best organic dog foods list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for many dogs. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Grain-Free Organic Dog Food
This delicious beef recipes contains all natural ingredients such as pork, potatoes, kale, green beans, and mushrooms. It’s a great high-protein choice for dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- High protein recipe
- Gluten free
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber
Cost: Visit site for price
This high-protein, low-carbohydrate, grain-free dog food sources the finest natural ingredients to create a well-balanced meal that dogs love. Inspired by the natural diet of wolves, this dry food uses mouthwatering, often wild ingredients like bison, wild salmon, venison and halibut, this premium kibble offers a sensible and budget-friendly alternative to expensive raw dog diets.
- # Available flavors: Salmon, Duck, Chicken, Red Meat, Snake River Grill with Trout, and Denali Dinner (Wild Salmon + Venison + Halibut)
- A satisfactory raw alternative, sourcing wilderness ingredients to include wild salmon, bison, duck and various red meats
- Contains no corn, wheat, soy, chicken/poultry by-products, or artificial preservatives
Cost: $16-$48 (4 lbs. to 22 lbs.)
For multi-dog households, there’s nothing better than a grain-free, organic dog food formulated to meet the nutritional needs of both puppies and senior dogs alike. Sourced from real meat and fish and organic ingredients, this kibble offers a balance of protein, fatty acids, antioxidants, dog probiotics and prebiotics to promote overall canine health, as well as healthy intestines and a shiny coat.
- 2 available flavors: Beef & Sweet Potato, Chicken & Pea, and Turkey Meal & Sweet Potato
- Grain-free, sourced from real chicken or fish, organic fruits and vegetables
- Optimal nutrition for all stages in life, from puppy to senior
Cost: $59-$60 (30 lbs. to 35 lbs.)
Natural Planet blends some of the highest quality, grain-free ingredients to build a healthy, easy-to-digest food that dogs simply cannot resist. You’ll appreciate the blend of land and sea ingredients, like duck + whitefish and rabbit + salmon, to naturally provide a balanced meal for your pups.
- 2 available flavors: Duck & Whitefish, and Rabbit & Salmon
- 100% grain and gluten-free, for sensitive dogs
- Non-GMO and organic ingredients
Cost: $21-$73 (5 lbs. to 25 lbs.)
If you’re looking for a well-balanced, healthy and grain-free dry dog food, Natural Ultramix offers up a wholesome plate of real duck, with real fruits and vegetables. These ingredients are chosen for their balanced nutrition, and to provide an optimal mix of the protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants your pup needs.
- 1 available flavor: Duck, Sweet Potatoes and Whole Peas
- High-protein, 100% grain-free kibble sourced from real fruits, real veggies and real meat (salmon, chicken, duck or beef), with no soy, no corn and no wheat.
- Made in the USA and does not contain any ingredients from China
Cost: $52 (25 lbs.)
What would your dog eat instinctually? Something similar to this natural kibble, which complements your dog’s ancestral diet: high in protein, gluten and grain free. What’s more, each morsel has a freeze-dried, raw coating that seals in nutrition and taste – taste that includes all the stuff you want (protein, fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals) and none of what you don’t, like no soy, no wheat, no corn, and no fillers.
- 7 available flavors: Beef & Lamb, Chicken, Duck & Turkey, Rabbit, Salmon, Small Breed, and Duck
- Gluten- and grain-free natural dog food, high in protein; contains absolutely no soy, wheat, corn, or fillers
- Moderately sized kibble suits small to large breeds
Cost: $27-$83 (4.4 lbs. to 25.3 lbs.)
It can be tough to find a grain-free, organic dog food that your dogs actually want to eat, but Organix manages it. Made from high-quality, 100% organic ingredients, this dry kibble features a mouthwatering doggy menu of organic chicken, organic vegetables, and even organic lentils, with no growth hormones, antibiotics, synthetic fertilizers, or chemical pesticides to be found.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken & Potato
- 100% grain-free and organic, featuring organic chicken (the #1 ingredient), organic ingredients include organic lentils, organic peas, and organic potatoes; absolutely no wheat, soy or con
- Made in the USA and certified by Oregon Tilth; no ingredients from China
Cost: $33-$115 (12 lbs. to 22 lbs.)
Pet parents of small-breed dogs know that their pups have special nutritional requirements. Enter Organix Small Breed Recipe, a grain-free, organic dog food that lists organic chicken as its #1 ingredient. As with other Organix brand foods, this healthy offering is made in an organically certified kitchen and does not contain any added growth hormones, antibiotics, chemical pesticides, or synthetic fertilizers.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken & Peas
- Optimally balanced to provide nutrition to small-breed dogs, this grain-free kibble sources organic chicken as its #1 ingredient (32% protein)
- Made in the USA and certified by Oregon Tilth; does not contain any ingredients from China
Cost: $17.99 (4 lbs.)
Your pup may be more best friend than predator, but that doesn’t mean he’s forgotten all of his instincts: dogs crave real meat, real fish, and real fruits and vegetables. Taste of the Wild delivers with the wildest ingredients – wildfowl, bison, venison, salmon and lamb, among them – to fulfil the wildest canine dreams. This grain-free kibble offers a fine balance of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to promote overall dog health.
- 5 available flavors: Venison, Bison & Venison, Boar, Lamb, Salmon, and Wildfowl
- Made with real, roasted meats, including lean game like bison and venison
- Supplemented with a healthy balanced of fruits and vegetables
Cost: $14-$49 (5 lbs. to 30 lbs.)
From a family-owned company to your family, a dog food for people who love their dogs. The Honest Kitchen’s grain-free, dehydrated dog food is made with 100% human-grade, farm-to-bowl ingredient – minimally processed, whole-food ingredients, dehydrated at the height of flavor and freshness. What you won’t find in this kibble are red-flag ingredients, including wheat, beet pulp, rice, corn or soy. Just add water!
- 3 available flavors: Chicken, Beef and Turkey
- 100% human-grade, grain-free dog food, made with free-range chicken for a moderate balance of calories and protein
- Made in the USA with no ingredients from China
Cost: $20-$86 (2 lbs., makes 8 lbs. of food; to 10 lbs., makes 40 lbs. of food)
Offering a holistic dog food at a price you can live with, this grain-free dry kibble sources quality proteins (turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, duck, salmon and whitefish), tasty fruits and vegetables (peas, carrots, and sweet potatoes), and savory herbs (rosemary, sage and thyme) to create a delicious, natural dry dog food that looks a lot like what you’d make from scratch, if you had the time.
- 4 available flavors: Chicken & Turkey, Pork, Beef & Lamb, Salmon & Whitefish, and Turkey & Duck
- Formulated for optimal digestion, without corn, soy, wheat or poultry by-products; does not contain any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Made in the USA, with no ingredients from China
Cost: $9-$40 (4 lbs. to 25 lbs.)
Invite your dog to answer the call of the wild – of his natural instincts and ancestral diet. Wild & Natural takes cues from your pup’s cousins, the wolves, to create a kibble with an astounding 80% protein. Formulated especially with carnivores in mind, this meat-based dog food includes multiple protein sources, digestive herbs, and other ingredients to naturally improve your pup’s health, performance and vitality.
- Available flavors: TimberWolf Legends, Southwest Legends, Black Forest Legends, and Ocean Blue Legends
- Contains high levels of amino acids, which promote healthy skin and coat, a strong immune system, and good muscle tone
- Optimally suited to puppies, growing dogs, adults and maintenance diets
Raw Organic Dog Food
A raw doggy diet doesn’t get much easier than this natural, grain-free, freeze-dried dog food: delicious raw beef, raw lamb, raw turkey or raw exotic protein, with absolutely no GMO ingredients, no grains, no gluten, no preservatives, no soy, no by-products, and no artificial colors or flavors. When it comes to your fur-baby, don’t settle for anything less than the highest quality, raw meat.
- 4 available flavors: Exotic; Grain-Free Beef; Grain-Free Lamb; and Grain-Free Turkey
- Raw dog food has never been easier; just add water, soak and you’ll have a complete meal of freeze-dried meat
- Made in the USA, in small batches
Cost: $24-$80 (2 lbs., makes 10 lbs.; 10 lbs., makes 40 lbs.)
If your dog requires a high-protein, ultra high-quality natural dog food, look no further than this air-dried offering from Wellness CORE. These tender morsels contain 70% natural, raw protein in every bite, air-dried to preserve the raw taste dogs love and the no-refrigeration-needed convenience you prefer. Feed your dog the natural diet her instinct demands.
- 3 available flavors/Varieties: Puppy, Turkey & Chicken, and Whitefish & Salmon
- Made with 100% grain free, all-natural ingredients, with absolutely no wheat-gluten, soy, corn, or meat by-products; does not contain artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Made in the USA and backed by the Wellness Guarantee
Cost: $29 (2 lbs.)
Dog superfood doesn’t get much better than this Wellness Trufood offering – a grain-free, all-natural, raw dog food sourced from the highest quality ingredients. This healthy dog food is wheat free, potato free and grain free, with air-dried fruit and vegetables, as well as farm, field and sea-sourced goodies that deliver 70% more raw protein than your typical kibble.
- 5 available flavors/varieties: Small Breed, Chicken & Chicken Liver, Lamb & Turkey Liver, Puppy, and Salmon & Turkey Liver
- Super premium, air-dried dog food contains no grains, potatoes or wheat, and is made with a blend of real fruits, real vegetables, and farm, sea and field-sourced protein
- Made in North America and backed by the Wellness Guarantee
Freeze-Dried and Canned Organic Dog Food
Dogs always seem able sniff out the tastiest ingredients, and Lily’s is one of the tastiest organic dog food brands. Individual, foil-sealed packets evoke the idea of a canine feast – and it is. As nutritious as it is delicious, this delectable dish blends organic proteins – organic fish, chicken, beef, and pork – with organic veggies, organic alfalfa, organic kelp and other superfood ingredients.
- 1 available flavor: Organic Meat Blend
- Contains a complete nutritional profile, including all essential vitamins and minerals
- Grain-free, organic ingredients are especially suited to dogs with food sensitivities
Cost: $26 for an 11-pack
This natural, organic canned dog food is a pet parent’s dream, packed full of chemical-free, wholesome ingredients. The basics are simple and mirror how you’d prepare a meal yourself: organic poultry, organic broth, and healthy, fresh-market veggies – not to mention, no nasty by-products. Suited to pooches of all ages, serve this as a meal or addition to your dog’s favorite kibble.
- 4 available flavors: Organic Beef Dinner, Organic Chicken and Turkey Dinner, Organic Cooked Chicken, Organic Turkey and Potatoes
- Free from any preservatives, chemicals, and by-products
- Grain-free, USDA certified organic dog food
Cost: $41 for a 12-pack
Your dog’s health is firmly rooted in her nutrition – in the food she eats. That’s why Natural Planet uses only the finest organic ingredients – meat, brown rice, flaxseed, and a host of vegetables – to provide a nutritional profile rich in proteins, fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Free from all grains, this canned food is easily digested.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken Dinner
- Natural, organic food formulated for all life stages
- Made in the USA
Cost: $54 for a 12-pack
If your dog has no digestive issues, opt for this version of Natural Planet’s organic offerings. Employing the same high-quality, USDA certified organic ingredients as its grain-free sibling, this tasty pâté adds brown rice and other ingredients to build a food rich in protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates.
- 1 available flavor: Turkey Dinner
- USDA certified organic ingredients deliver optimal nutrition for all life stages
- With organic meat
Cost: $47 for a 12-pack
This offering from Newman’s Own is one of the best canned, organic dog foods out there: sourcing 95% organic, grain-free ingredients, this premium canned food contains no colors, flavors or preservatives. The first ingredient is always organic meat (chicken, beef, or turkey), encouraging your carnivorous pups to gladly lick their plates.
- 7 available flavors: Chicken, Chicken & Liver, Turkey, Turkey & Liver, Beef, Beef & Liver, and Liver
- 95% organic, grain-free ingredients deliver optimal nutrition for dogs of all ages
- Specially formulated to meet the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials)
Cost: $34 for a pack of 12
Here’s a treat for your furry friends: 100% organic pumpkin puree, a tasty pup-pleaser that supports healthy digestion. Made from clean and mature pumpkins, this fiber-rich, organic dog food may be used as a daily food supplement, as a special treat, or as a digestive aid. And since it’s low-calorie, very flavorful, and high in fiber, this is also a perfect addition to a weight-management dog diet.
- 1 available flavor: Pumpkin (this product is 100% pureed organic pumpkin)
- Use as a daily supplement, on top of kibble, to aid in digestion and weight loss, as well as for a tasty treat
- Made in the USA from 100% organic pumpkin
Cost: $26 (12-pack of 15-oz. cans)
For dogs with digestive issues, this grain-free organic dog food is a great choice. Incorporating USDA certified organic proteins, with real chunks of fruits and veggies, this savory offering promises juicy turkey and seasoned chicken feasts – similar to what you whip up for your fur-babies, when you have time to cook from scratch.
- Available flavors: Shredded Chicken Dinner, Carved Turkey Dinner, Chopped Turkey & Chicken Dinner, Chicken & Vegetable, Turkey and Vegetable, and Chicken Wing and Thigh Dinner
- Promote digestive and overall canine health with this delicious, certified organic dog food
- Made in the USA
Cost: $26-$31 for a 12-pack
To pair with Halo’s vegan kibble, this canned offering is not only vegan but also organic. Prepared from freshly milled grains and vegetables, this juicy dinner contains no preservatives, sweeteners, sugars, or artificial flavors. Every time you feed Fido, you’ll be happy knowing that his food is both nutritionally balanced and sustainable – as good for your pooch as it is for the Earth.
- 1 available flavor: Vegan
- USDA certified organic, vegan ingredients contain no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, by-products or preservatives
- Nutritionally balanced for adult dogs
Cost: $47 for a 12-pack
Boost the protein in your pooch’s diet with this premium canned dog food, which employs high-quality meats in a grain-free recipe. Get this: this food is cooked right in the can, then sealed for freshness; your dogs can’t get a better, fresher flavor unless you cook for them yourself. This is an excellent, budget-friendly alternative to serving your dog a raw diet.
- 5 available flavors: 95% Beef, 95% Chicken, 95% Lamb, 95% Salmon, and 95% Turkey
- Grain-free, protein-rich food is comprised of 95% premium animal protein, making this a good complement to your pup’s favorite kibble
- Made in the USA and backed by the Wellness Guarantee
Cost: $34 for a 12-pack
Looking for more canned food options? See our full list of The Best Canned Dog Food.
Adult Organic Dog Food
This natural dog food sees to the dietary needs of large breed dogs, with premium ingredients including chicken and vegetables, with the large-breed nutritional necessities of natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. Avocados supply your pups with omega acids, and antioxidants help support their immune systems. Another detail to make you happy: this natural dog food contains no corn, soy, wheat or animal by-products.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken Meal and Brown Rice
- High-quality, natural dog food with protein as its first ingredient
- Specially formulated for large-breed nutritional needs, to include sufficient • natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine
Cost: $32-$50 (15 lbs. or 26 lbs.)
Small pups have big needs! This natural dog food, specially formulated for dogs under 20 lbs., uses high quality ingredients, including omega-rich avocados, to provide optimal nutrition. You won’t find any artificial colors, corn, wheat or soy, but you will find real protein, antioxidants, brown rice, and vegetables in this pup-pleaser.
- 2 available varieties: Puppy and Adult
- Quality, natural ingredients feature real protein as the first ingredient; there’s no wheat, corn or soy, and no animal by-products in this kibble.
- Made in the USA from USA ingredients, with the exception of New Zealand lamb and French duck
Cost: $14-$19 (3.5 lbs. or 7 lbs.)
Get behind Bench & Field’s philosophy – your dog’s healthy, held up by the pillars of a balance diet and solid nutrition. The company has made an excellent natural dog food since 1926, and this dry kibble, which incorporates blueberries and peas, apples and alfalfa, with high-quality chicken and other protein sources, to build nutrition for dogs in all walks of life.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken & Vegetable
- Natural dog food, with high quality proteins, quinoa, fruits and green vegetables, including peas and alfalfa
- Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as three primary antioxidants and a variety of vitamins and minerals
Cost: $42 (16 lbs.)
From toy breeds to large dogs, Blue Buffalo nourishes your fur-babies with premium, protein-rich meat, hearty whole grains and complex carbs – barley, oats and brow rice – and healthy garden fruits and veggies, including sweet potatoes, whole carrots and garlic. This savory kibble contains no chicken by-products, wheat, soy, or corn, and no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
- 14 available flavors: Toy Breed, Chicken & Brown Rice, Fish & Brown Rice, Healthy Weight, Lamb & Brown Rice, Small Bite, Small Breed (4 Flavors), and Large Breed (4 Flavors)
- Wholesome, natural blend of real meats/fish, vegetables, and balanced vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Made in the USA
Cost: $15-$49 (4 lbs. to 30 lbs.)
Natural dog food doesn’t get much better than the ingredients inside a bag of Diamond Naturals: more than 50% human-grade meat, packed with digestive enzymes, antioxidants and other ingredients (including guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium) to promote optimal canine health. This food contains no wheat, soy, corn, grain fractions, or other fillers.
- 3 available flavors: Beef, Chicken, and Lamb
- Antioxidant formulation, to maximize health benefits
- Balanced omega fatty acids, to promote healthy skin and coat
Cost: $32-$60 (40 lbs.)
Crafted from juicy, premium proteins, including real pork and chicken, this all-natural dog food seeks the perfect balances of proteins, fats and carbs. What’s more, you’ll find plenty of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and other healthy goodies to support your dog’s nutritional needs through all life stages.
- 7 available flavors: Chicken & Pork Formula, Lamb & Rice Formula, Small Breed Formula, Large Breed Formula, Large Breed Puppy Formula, Reduced Fat Formula, and Power Formula
- 100% all natural dog food contains no corn, no wheat, no meat by-products, and no artificial flavors, preservatives or colors
- Made in the USA and backed by the Eagle Pack Guarantee
Cost: $12-$55 (6 lbs. to 40 lbs.)
Spot’s Stew is very much what it sounds like: a high-quality holistic kibble that “stews” together fine ingredients like butcher-quality chicken, whole eggs, and a variety of farm-raised vegetables. Nutritionally sound, this natural dog food aids in digestion and is careful to exclude canine red flags – no gluten, no wheat, no corn, and no rendered meats, poultry or fish, including animal or plant by-products. You also won’t spot artificial flavors, colors or preservatives on the ingredient list.
- 5 available flavors/varieties: Wholesome Chicken, Wild Salmon, Wholesome Lamb, Healthy Weight, and Toy & Small Breed
- Holistic, natural nutrition based on premium, real-food ingredients, including butcher-quality protein, eggs, and fresh vegetables.
- Superior digestibility with absolutely no corn, gluten or wheat
Cost: $14-$58 (10 lbs. to 28 lbs.)
Vegan families trust Halo to deliver a dog-pleasing vegan kibble – a healthy, well-rounded alternative to meat-based diets. Sourced from chickpeas, oils, and a variety of garden vegetables, as well as the grains that grace your own plates – oats, barley, potatoes and more – this flavorful, natural dog food provides antioxidants, fiber, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin D2, and a full complement of vitamins and minerals.
- 1 available flavor: Garden Medley
- Vegan dog food that provides a balanced doggy diet of grains, chickpeas, fruits and vegetables, with no animal proteins or fats
- Made in the USA
Cost: $11-$40 (4 lbs. to 10 lbs.)
Holistic health starts with your dog’s diet, and that means premium ingredients – real turkey, real sardines, real salmon, real duck, real lamb… you get the point! – without all the fillers, preservatives, and artificial ingredients you find in many dog foods. What’s more, this natural dog food is formulated with your pup’s digestive health in mind: with natural fibers, prebiotics and probiotics, and digestive enzymes.
- 14 available flavors/varieties: Small & Mini Breed, Small & Mini Breed Puppy, Grain Free Anchovy & Salmon, Grain Free Turkey, Weight Management, Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon, Chicken & Rice, Duck, Lamb, Puppy, Senior, Large & Giant Breed, Large & Giant Breed Puppy
- All-natural, premium ingredients with no wheat, wheat-gluten, meat by-products or artificial colors, flavors or fillers.
- Made in the USA and backed by the Holistic Select Guarantee
Cost: $15-$54 (3 lbs. to 30 lbs.)
Specially formulated to comply with the high standards of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages, this organic dog food offers optimal vitamins, minerals and nutrition for man’s best friend. High quality ingredients, including chicken, fruits, vegetables and grains promise a well-rounded flavor and nutritional profile.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken & Oats
- Velco PRESS-LOK seal keeps food fresh until it’s gone
- Family-owned company, made in the USA for 50+ years
Cost: $47-$76 (15 lbs. to 25 lbs.)
You’ve heard of Newman’s Own, but did you know that it’s one of the best organic dog food brands today? This budget-friendly kibble contains organic grains and veggies, as well as real chicken as the first ingredient, to achieve the optimal protein-fat balance that adult dogs need. This dog food is 70% organic.
- 1 available flavor: Organic Grains & Veggies
- Sourced from organic brown rice, organic vegetables and real meat, with no wheat or corn, and no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors.
- Proudly made in the USA
Cost: $18-22 (7 lbs. or 12.5 lbs.)
If your pup needs a high-protein kibble, this Newman’s Own offering delivers with this dry kibble, which contains at least 24% protein and 10% fat. The first ingredient is chicken, followed by 70% organic ingredients, including organic oats, organic peas, organic flaxseed, organic carrots, and other dog-friendly goodies. This organic dog food does not contain any wheat, corn, or artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken
- High-protein (24%) formula is ideal for puppies, active adults, and senior dogs
- Made in the USA and formulated to meet the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials)
Cost: $10-$25 (7 lbs. or 12.5 lbs.)
One of the most recognized organic dog food brands, Organix presents its flagship product: an organic dog food made from real ingredients and without added growth hormones, synthetic fertilizers, chemical pesticides or antibiotics. Think of it as the food you’d made for yourself, dried into dog-friendly kibble.
- USDA-certified organic
- Know what you’re serving your pups! The #1 ingredient is real, organic chicken; additional ingredients include organic quinoa, organic flaxseed, and other organic, nutrient-rich ingredients.
- Made in the USA and certified by Oregon Tilth; absolutely no ingredients from China
Cost: $23-$48 (5.25 lbs. to 25 lbs.)
If your pup is less active than he used to be, you’re probably in the market for an organic dog food a bit lower in calories. Enter this offering from Organix: a tasty kibble, sourced from only organic ingredients, designed to promote a healthy weight in adult dogs. Even better, you can rest easy knowing that this food contains no synthetic fertilizers, chemical pesticides, antibiotics or added growth hormones.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken, Brown Rice & Flaxseed
- Sourced from real, organic chicken (the #1 ingredient), plus organic peas, organic brown rice, salmon meal and organic flaxseed, for overall health; does not contain corn, wheat or soy
- Made in the USA and certified by Oregon Tilth; does not contain any ingredients from China
Cost: $17-$40 (5.25 lbs. to 14.5 lbs.)
Big dogs have special nutritional needs, too! This certified organic dog food features the highest quality natural ingredients, like organic free-range chicken and savory vegetables, to fill your pup’s bowl with irresistible morsels. Like all Organix brand kibble, this food contains none of the stuff you want to avoid: no fillers, no wheat, no soy, and no corn, and all ingredients are produced without chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, antibiotics or added growth hormones.
- Natural, certified organic ingredients, including organic, free-range chicken as the #1 ingredient; also includes organic fruits, organic vegetable, and organic grains
- Made in the USA with no ingredients from China
Cost: $55-200 (25 lbs.)
If your pup is on a vegetarian and organic diet, this dry kibble sources all-organic ingredients to guarantee healthy and balanced nutrition. Rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, filling organic grains, and other USDA-certified organic ingredients, this is one of the best organic dog foods for vegetarian households.
- 1 available flavors: Vegetarian
- Sourced from wholesome fruits, vegetables and grains, USDA certified organic and free from growth hormones, harmful pesticides, and antibiotics
- Contains no wheat, corn, soy or yeast
Cost: $42 (4.4 lbs.)
If you love the idea of human-grade ingredients, freeze dried for convenience, but prefer a natural dog food that also contains grains (for lower protein and calories), look no further. This premium dog chow is AAFCO complete and perfectly balanced for the needs of adult dogs, including most senior pups. Better yet, this freeze-dried dog food contains no red-flag ingredients: no wheat, beet pulp, corn, rice or soy.
- 4 available flavors: Turkey, Chicken, and Beef
- Dehydrated dog food, minimally processed and made with 100% human-grade ingredients, with no by-products, GMO ingredients or preservatives
- Made in the USA with no ingredients from China
Cost: $20-$59 (2 lbs., makes 8 lbs. of food; to 10 lbs., makes 40 lbs. of food)
When you want a food that’s not only organic, but sourced from sustainable and humane options, Tuffy Natural Planet Organics fits the bill nicely. With ingredients including free-range chicken, organic grains, and savory veggies, with high levels of important nutrients (Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, among them), this food provides the right kind of nourishment.
- 1 available flavor: Chicken & Oats
- Made in the USA, nourishing your pups with only the highest quality ingredients, including organic grains and free-range chicken
- Rich with the vitamins and minerals dogs need, including taurine and fatty acids
Cost: $63 (25 lbs.)
This all-natural dog food is ideally formulated for adult dogs, promoting health through a balance of high protein, essential vitamins and minerals. Wellness Complete uses ingredients you feel good about, and none of the ones you don’t – you won’t find any wheat, corn, soy or artificial ingredients in this bag – to promote digestive, bone and joint health, as well as a healthy weight.
- 8 available flavors/varieties: Chicken & Oatmeal, Lamb & Barley, Puppy, Senior, Whitefish & Sweet Potato, Large Breed, Large Breed Puppy, and Healthy Weight
- High in protein and made with premium, all-natural ingredients, including deboned chicken and whitefish
- Made in the USA, with no wheat, soy, corn, or artificial ingredients/colors/preservatives
Cost: $14-$51 (5 lbs. to 30 lbs.)
Pet parents know how difficult it can be, when your pup suffers from food allergies, intolerances or sensitivities. Enter this limited-ingredient kibble from Wellness, an all-natural dog food that features a single-source protean (real, high-quality salmon) and mixes in easily digestible carbohydrates for balanced nutrition without the digestive upset. And if you’re worried, you won’t find any fillers, gluten, wheat or artificial additives.
- 6 available flavors: Duck & Oatmeal, Healthy Weight Salmon & Peas, Lamb & Oatmeal, Salmon & Potato, Small Breed Salmon & Potato, and Turkey & Potato
- Limited-ingredient diet is easily digestible for dogs with food sensitivities, intolerances, or allergies
- Made in the USA and backed by the Wellness Guarantee
Cost: $15-$57 (4.5 lbs. to 24 lbs.)
See the full list of The Best Dog Food for Allergies.
More Pet Product Reviews:
- The Best Electric Dog Fence
- The Best GPS Dog Tracker
- The Best Dog Beds
- The Best Automatic Cat Feeder
- The Best Probiotic for Dogs
- The Best Dog Clippers
- The Best Dog Gates
- The Best Pet Camera
- The Best Dog Kennel
- The Best Pet Stroller