Dogs are man’s best friend. They are our loved ones, just like any other part of our family. As such, we want to feed them the very best food that we can find for them. Holistic dog food makes a great choice because it is typically made with all-natural and oftentimes organic ingredients. For example, holistic dog food would be made with real chicken versus chicken meal. All-natural ingredients are always at the top of the ingredient list.
If your dog may have to follow a special diet for their digestive needs, for example, your veterinarian may recommend a holistic dog food for your pup. They can be made in various different formulas such as grain free, sensitive stomach, formulas blended for older aged dogs, and even vegetarian formulas. We reviewed dozens of holistic dog foods to identify the best of the best. We looked at things like ingredients, formulas, and more to find the best holistic dog foods.
There is a very clear front-runner when it comes to the holistic dog food market. NomNomNow offers completely and totally fresh dog food, right to your front door. Only restaurant-quality ingredients are used when making this tasty food that your dog will love.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Holistic Dog Foods
|Best Overall||NomNomNow Dog Food||N/A|
|Runner Up||Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food||4.1|
|Best Budget Buy||Wysong Optimal Adult Dog Food||5.0|
|Best Holistic Puppy Food||Halo Spot's Stew Puppy Food||4.3|
|Best Holistic Senior Dog Food||Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Food||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: NomNomNow Fresh Dog Food
Hands down, NomNomNow Fresh Dog Food is by and far the best holistic dog food out there on the market today. The company takes great pride in preparing fresh meals for your dog. They use the freshest ingredients they can find. They stand by the statement, “If we won’t eat it, it won’t make it to your pet’s bowl.” They stick to the highest quality standards when it comes to the ingredients that they use.
Each bag is perfectly portioned for your dog’s specific needs. One bag is equal to one serving of food, so you do not have to find a place to store any excess food. After each meal is expertly prepared, it is vacuumed-sealed for freshness, and sent straight to your door, being kept refrigerated throughout the whole trip to your home.
Nutrition facts are listed right on their website, next to their dog food recipes, so you are able to see exactly the nutrients that your dog is receiving each time that they are fed. The company offers an array of flavors, from Heartland Beef Mash to Porkalicious Potluck, there is a flavor there that your pooch will love. They also make specialized formulas for both puppies and senior-aged dogs.
NomNomNow Fresh Dog Food Key Features:
- Made fresh, packed fresh, delivered fresh
- Portion-controlled packets
- Made from restaurant-quality ingredients
- Created alongside top-veterinarians
Our Runner Up: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food
The Blue Buffalo name has been synonymous with top-notch quality ingredients in their dog food. So it is no surprise that Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food is in one of our top spots. Their first real ingredient is always meat. Not only that, but it also contains vegetables, fruits and whole grains for your dog to have a balanced diet. It contains all the carbohydrates and proteins that are essential to your dog’s growing and thriving body.
Every formula is created with Blue Buffalo’s Life Bits, which is a two-part food that consists of natural ingredients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is a kibble that is processed at a lower temperature than the rest of the ingredients, in order to prevent the breaking down of any ingredients.
This food also contains omega 3’s and 6 fatty acids. These ingredients promote a shiny coat and healthy skin. It does not contain any artificial flavors or preservatives. This means that your beloved dog is getting wholesome and delicious food at every meal time. Flavors include fish and brown rice, lamb and brown rice, and chicken and brown rice. Whatever your pooch’s preference is, you will be able to find it here. Enhanced with vitamins and minerals, like glucosamine chondroitin to help joints and DHA to help pup’s thriving minds, this dry dog food is a wonderful option for your dog.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food Key Features:
- Regional-inspired recipes
- High-quality protein promotes healthy muscles
- Contains no wheat, soy or corn by-products
- Helps promote a healthy life for your dog
Best Budget Pick: Wysong Optimal Adult Dog Food
With a combination of fresh and frozen dried meats, Wysong Optimal Adult Dog Food is a wonderful option to feed your dog. A leader in the pet food industry since 1979, Wysong has created this amazing dry food for dogs. Included in the formula are high levels of proteins, good fats, antioxidants, vitamins and more. It even has probiotics in it to help with your dog’s digestive health. This food has plenty of organic ingredients in it, and the best part is that it is inexpensive, but filled to the brim with wholesome ingredients.
This is a grain-free formula with a very low starch level. Micronutrients will help your dog throughout any stage of their life. With ingredients like blueberries, yogurt, barley, carrots and more, your dog will absolutely love the flavor of this dry dog food. This formula is an improved version of their very first original dog food formula. There are many happy customers who feed their pups this dog food, and they have seen a noticeable difference in their pet’s fur, skin, and digestion. This is a great dog food to try if you want to slowly introduce your dog to holistic dog food. There is even a handy chart on the back that can help you find how much you should be feeding your dog.
Wysong Optimal Adult Dog Food Key Features:
- For all sizes and breeds of dog
- Low carb, low starch formula
- Grain free
- Organically sourced ingredients
Best Holistic Puppy Food: Halo Spot’s Stew Puppy Food
A great holistic dog food, formulated just for puppies.
Made with zero ‘meat meal,’ Halo Spot’s Stew Puppy Food is one of the best holistic dog foods that you can feed your newest little addition. This puppy formula has the perfect blend of whole chicken, chicken livers, grains, and vegetables that are non-GMO. This food is full of premium protein, vitamins and minerals, and healthy fats. All of these come together to create a “growth diet” formula to help your pup to grow up big and strong, promoting muscle development and a healthy coat and skin.
This food is one of the top holistic puppy foods on the market, as it is very helpful in terms of digestibility. Because the first ingredients are real meat and not any meat meal, this helps your dog to retain essential nutrients. Halo’s dog food is produced without any factory farming, artificial preservatives, colors or flavors. The company takes the welfare of all animals very seriously. There are absolutely no growth hormones in their food at all. When all of the ingredients in this food come together, it creates a delicious blend that your puppy will enjoy and it will help them to grow up to be a strong and healthy dog.
Best Holistic Senior Dog Food: Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Food
Formulated for senior dogs, this food has plenty of nutrients for your aging dog.
Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Food is committed to providing dogs the highest quality holistic dog food. It is enhanced with probiotics and superfoods for optimal digestive health, a beautiful coat and soft skin. It is made exclusively in the USA with real free-range chicken. This senior formula contains no soy. It does, however, contain a myriad of vegetables and grains that include flaxseed, vitamin E, beta carotene and more. When all of these ingredients come together, they form a harmoniously delicious meal for your dog.
Glucosamine and chondroitin are included in this dog food. These ingredients help to promote healthy joints in your senior dog so that your fuzzy friend can play on and on. Every ingredient in this senior dog food is meticulously curated for optimal performance. It is especially a great dog food to use if your dog has a bit of tummy trouble, as this formula helps aid in their digestion process with its extra fiber and probiotics.
Many customers love this senior dog food, as it has given their dogs more vigor, and overall has given their dog more energy. Consumers are very happy with their purchases, as many of them feel like they almost have a puppy again.
Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Food Key Features:
- Made with free-range chicken
- Created with vegetables and grains
- Gives dogs more energy
- Promotes healthy joints
Who Should By Holistic Dog Food
If you are looking to switch to an all-natural formula for your dog, a holistic diet is the way to go. Holistic dog food is made with all-natural ingredients and is typically made with ingredients like free-range chickens, turkeys, and cows. Real meat is almost always the first ingredient on their formula list, usually followed by vegetables and supplemental vitamins and minerals that help your dog to be the best version of themselves that they can be.
If your dog may have a digestion issue with their current dog food, going the holistic route may be an easy solution. Many formulas contain ingredients that aid in digestion and helps to soothe any stomach troubles your dog may have. There are also plenty of holistic dog food formulas that are for dogs on a special diet. From weight control to gluten intolerance, there is a holistic dog food out there for your dog to try. You may also want to check out our reviews of the best dog foods for allergies, the best diet dog foods, and the best organic dog foods for more healthy options for your pup.
Important Features To Consider
Holistic dog food should be made with all-natural ingredients and help your dog to not just live, but to thrive. Here is what to consider when selecting a holistic dog food for your dog to try.
- Diet. This is quite possibly one of the most important features to consider when it comes to selecting the right food for your dog. Is your dog on any special diet of sorts? If so, you will want to look closely at the dog food formula that you intend to purchase. While many holistic dog food companies do make food tailored specifically for a dog’s diet, you want to make sure that there are not any ingredients in the food that will upset your dog’s stomach. Like we have previously stated, there are many holistic dog food companies that have something for every dog.
- Ingredients. One of the very first ingredients in holistic dog food should be meat. If possible, free-ranged raised meat and organic vegetables. Many companies input vitamins, minerals, and supplements in their food as well. These are to help your dog absorb all of the nutrients that they can from the food. You will see a noticeable difference in your dog, from the shine of their coat to even their hearing and vision improving.
- Age. Age is definitely an important factor to consider when you are on the hunt for a good holistic dog food. If you have a puppy and you want to start them off on holistic dog food, you would purchase food that is made just for puppies. Puppy food will have important nutrients needed to help your little furball grow into the dog they will grow up to be. If you have an older, aging dog, you would consider purchasing a bag of holistic dog food for senior-aged dogs. These typically have ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin in them to promote healthy and agile joints in your dog.
- Flavor. Only you know your dog the very best, so you will know exactly what kind of food they would like. Perhaps they would enjoy a beef flavored food versus poultry flavored kibble. There are also varieties out there that are seafood flavored like salmon, for example, and even vegan formulas. You want to be able to purchase a holistic dog food that your dog will eat and not walk away from because they don’t like the taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is holistic dog food and how is it different from natural dog food?
The word ‘holistic’ itself means the treatment of the whole of a being. This means that holistic dog food is geared towards focusing on every aspect of your dog’s health, from the body to the brain. Natural dog food, just like holistic dog food contain all-natural ingredients. However, the difference between holistic and natural dog food is that when dog food is labeled as holistic, it typically has supplemental nutrition in it. This means that ingredients like vitamins, minerals, and probiotics are added to treat your dog’s health overall.
Is holistic dog food better? What are the benefits of holistic dog food?
Holistic dog food is a better choice for many dogs, especially if they are on a special diet. In the way that they are formulated, they can be tailored to a diet, like grain-free, for example. Many who have fed their dog a holistic dog food have shown marked improvement in energy, their coat, and skin health, good digestive health, ear, and eye health, heart health and much more. Wholesome ingredients can help break down carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
Is holistic dog food organic?
For the most part, yes, holistic dog food is organic, it is possible to find a brand that does not use organic ingredients. However, most holistic dog food is organic. The definition of organic means that the ingredients in the dog food are free from preservatives, artificial colors, and flavors. This also means that the meat/fish/vegetables that are in the dog food have not been genetically modified in any way at all. It should also be free from any antibiotics, non-naturally occurring hormones, toxins, and pesticides.
How do you know if a dog food is holistic?
To tell if a dog food is holistic, it all comes down to reading the labels and nutritional facts listed on the package. The very first ingredient should be meat, be it poultry, beef or fish. You should be able to tell pretty quickly whether or not a dog food is holistic or not. It should also have vegetables as well as supplements, vitamins, and minerals. The first and best thing to do is to make sure that you take a good look at the ingredient list.
Other Holistic Dog Food We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other different holistic dog foods. Even though they did not make our 5 best holistic dog foods list, they are the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Grain Free Holistic Dog Food
- Meat Flavored Holistic Dog Food
- Vegetarian Holistic Dog Food
- Special Formula Holistic Dog Food
Grain Free Holistic Dog Food
This grain-free dog food features lean red meat from bison, as well as lamb for high-protein content. It also has egg protein in it, making this a great food for your dog’s sensitive stomach.
- Grain, gluten, and potato free
- Vitamins E and C help support the immune system
- Blended with vegetables and fruits
Your dog will adore the delicious salmon flavor of this dog food that is packed with nutrients. Every recipe begins with USDA inspected fresh meat.
- Contains apple cider vinegar, turmeric, and pure coconut oil
- Made in small batches
- Fruits and vegetables are infused in this formula
In place of grains, sweet potatoes, lentils, and chickpeas come together in a delicious formula. Created with no by-product meals.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics
- Omegas 3 & 6 to promote a healthy coat
- Rich with protein at 30%
This easy-to-digest formula is the perfect blend for pups with sensitive stomachs. It provides your dog with a completely balanced diet.
- Gluten, soy, and corn free
- Packed with 20 superfoods
- Live probiotics
This protein-packed formula gives your dog everything they need for a healthy diet. Only non-GMO ingredients are used.
- Meat combined with real vegetables
- Essential vitamins
- Great for dogs of any age
Meat Flavored Holistic Dog Food
Made with real beef, this formula is chock full of protein. It’s enhanced with vitamins and minerals.
- Made with LifeSource bits
- Formula selected by holistic veterinarians
- Promotes lean muscle mass
Created with cage-free chicken and amino acids, this food will help to build and maintain muscle strength. This formula is perfect for dogs at any stage of their life.
- Superfoods like fruits and vegetables are blended into the formula
- Contains nothing artificial
- Crunchy kibble helps maintain good dental health
This holistic dog food caters to any age dog, with a unique lamb flavor. It has absolutely no fillers in it.
- Raw coated kibble
- Made with high-quality animal protein
- Grass-fed lamb
A tasty chicken with pumpkin recipe sourced from New Zealand, this dog food has a high protein content at 90%. Made with cage-free chickens.
- Air-dried, for nutrient retention
- Jerky style
This is a nutrient-dense dog food formula. It does not have any fillers whatsoever.
- Builds strong muscles
- Contains superfoods for healthy skin and coat
- Made with probiotics to promote a healthy GI tract
Vegetarian Holistic Dog Food
Created using non-GMO certified peas, this formula is packed with protein. Sustainably grown grains are added to make a delicious meal for your dog.
- Sunflower oil added for a healthy and shiny coat
- Plant proteins provide essential amino acids
- Total nutrition for your dog
This is a completely hypoallergenic dog food. With 27% protein, it makes for a balanced whole diet.
- Gluten and cholesterol free
- Great for weight control
- Low sodium
Made with brown rice, oatmeal, and potatoes, this food provides energy to your pooch. Nine safety tests are performed on this dog food before it is packaged.
- Made with no dairy or animal products
- Peas provide complex carbohydrates and protein
- Supports and provides a healthy and shiny coat
Made with ingredients that even humans can eat. This vegetarian formula is easily digestible for dogs.
- No animal products
- No fillers
- 100% plant-based formula
This vegan formula is made with no artificial fillers or additives. It contains powerful antioxidants.
- Filled with probiotics and prebiotics
- No “non-nutritional” ingredients
- Formulated for a healthy diet
Special Formula Holistic Dog Food
Made in the U.S., this formula is tailored for dogs with sensitive skin and digestion problems. It is super-premium.
- No artificial ingredients
This limited ingredient dog food is grain free for sensitive stomachs. Specially formulated with Blue Buffalo’s Lifesource Bits.
- Real duck as the first ingredient
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle
- Antioxidant-rich kibble
This limited-ingredient dry dog food uses chicken and brown rice. It is the perfect formula for senior dogs and overweight dogs.
- Totally hypoallergenic
- No potato or tapioca
- Reduces health risks
This formula supports healthy joint cartilage with glucosamine and chondroitin. The low-calorie formula is perfect for weight management.
- Grain and gluten free
- Fruit and vegetables in every munch
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids support healthy skin
This grain and gluten-free formula is made for all sizes and all breeds of dogs. It is filled to the brim with superfoods like fruits and vegetables.
- Made with quail, pumpkin, and chickpeas
- Has healthy monounsaturated fats
- Quail and pumpkin come together to promote healthy digestion