Finding the right hands-free dog leash for your pooch will make both you and your dog happier. You’ll be able to bring your dog along for bike rides and runs without having to hold a bothersome leash, as these leashes are strapped around your waist or onto your bike. To keep your dog safe and happy, these leashes are also durable, flexible, and protect your dog from harm with bungee cord designs.
It can be difficult to find the perfect hands-free dog leash, so we reviewed dozens of them to find the best, highest quality, and most durable hands-free dog leashes, based on their prices, function, and Amazon ratings. We narrowed our search down to 5 of the top-rated hands-free dog leashes that dog owners can buy for their favorite pet.
The Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog Leash has an easy glide belt clip that keeps it in position around your waist or even attached to a stroller or bike. Your dog will be able to maneuver from side to side with restriction. It’s made for medium-to-large dogs. The high-quality material keeps the leash durable and long-lasting, and there’s also a reflective quality so you stand out at night. Lastly, there’s a lifetime guarantee!
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Hands-Free Dog Leashes
|Best Overall||Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash||4.6|
|Runner Up||SparklyPets Hands Free Dog Leash||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||UPSTONE Hands Free Dog Leash||5.0|
|Best Hands Free Leash for Bikes||Walky Dog Plus Hands Free Bike Leash||4.5|
|Best Hands Free Leash for Running||FURRY BUDDY Hands Free Dog Leash||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog Leash
The Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog Leash is a cost-efficient hands-free dog leash. It comes in seven different colors, ensuring that there’s a color for every personal fit. The belt clip doesn’t stay in one position. In fact, it glides along the belt clip so that your dog has the freedom to move from side to side. This will make your pup a lot happier during your walks.
With a four foot leash, your dog will have the freedom to go where he wants, and you won’t feel like your having to avoid stepping on your dog while you run. The leash even stretches out to five feet when fully extended. With that said, it’s best for medium and large dogs thanks to the durable bungee that absorbs shock. Tuff Mutt recommends your dog be at least 30 pounds to experience the full benefits of this leash.
The quality of the leash is also nothing to scoff at. It’s made of reflective thread that is luminous, allowing you to be seen easily at night. It’s durable and guaranteed not to break, but if it does, you’re backed by a lifetime guarantee. That means you’ll never have to repurchase another leash.
Tuff Mutt Hands-Free Dog Leash Key Features:
- Reflective thread for your night time runs
- Gliding belt clip allowing your dog the freedom to switch sides
- Leash stretches up to five feet
- Comes in seven different colors
Our Runner Up Pick: SparklyPets Hands-Free Dog Leash
If you love to run with your dog, you’re in luck. The SparkletPets Hands-Free Dog Leash is the perfect leash for those long distance runs. It comes in a blue and a special gold color, and features an adjustable waistband that supports between 28″ to 47″. The leash is designed by professionals to absorb even the biggest dogs pulls, keeping him safe from harm as it absorbs shocks while allowing you to comfortably handle your dog without worry.
The waistband is made of weather resistant nylon, making it longlasting and durable. The security clips are also quite heavy duty, releasing the tension from the plastic belt buckle and keeping the leash from breakage. The belt buckle is also durable thanks to the high-quality plastic and extra stainless steel clasp for additional support.
With a reflective strip for easy visibility at night, you can rest assured that you and your pooch will be safe from accidents as you’ll be especially visible. With that said, this hands-free leash also comes with a convenient storage bag to keep your water, snacks, cell phone, and anything else you might want to take with you on your runs. Your and your dog will love this comfortable, supportive leash.
SparklyPets Hands-Free Dog Leash Key Features:
- Adjustable waistband
- Leash absorbs shocks thanks to the bungee
- Reflective stripe for night time runs
- Made with weather-resistant nylon and durable stainless steel
Best Budget Pick: UPSTONE Hands-Free Dog Leash
You aren’t sacrificing quality by going with the UPSTONE Hands-Free Dog Leash. It’s a durable dog leash that is suitable for running and jogging. The leash goes around your waist, allowing you to keep your hands free from distraction as you run. The leash itself is five feet long, providing you and your pooch with plenty of room to move around without feeling like your crowding each other.
When wearing the waist belt, you’ll be effectively reducing shoulder and wrist pain caused by other leashes. Your pooch will also be safe thanks to the bungee design typical to these types of leashes. They absorb shock in instances where your dog may pull on the leash, saving you and your dog any pain all for an affordable price.
The waistband itself is adjustable. It will fit between a 25 inch and 43-inch waist, so it’s suitable for most people. The least is another adjustable feature, stretching up to 51 inches. Lastly, you get a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
UPSTONE Hands-Free Dog Leash Key Features:
- Adjustable waistband and leash
- Fits all sizes of dogs
- Made with polyester and zinc alloy
- Includes a poop bag holder
Best Hands-Free Leash for Bikes: Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Bike Leash
If you’re looking for a hands-free leash that’s Hands-Free for bikes, the Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Bike Leash is what you need. It features a patented shock-absorbing system as well as a quick lock and release function to easily remove and switch between bikes. The shock absorption is especially needed as sudden tugs and pulls may be more frequent on bike rides with your dog, especially as you’re still getting used to it.
The leash is easy to install, being ready to go in under five minutes regardless of which type of bike you have. It’s designed with high-quality carbon stainless steel that is exceptionally durable and rust-resistant. The leash is military grade paracord and is guaranteed not to snap. In fact, it withstands up to 550 pounds of pull strength.
It’s recommended for medium to large sized dogs, including huskies and Bernese mountain dogs. It allows your dog to be parallel with you while riding, which is the safest position. Because the leash is adjustable, you can extend it out to an additional 6.5 inches.
Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Bike Leash Key Features:
- Patented shock-absorbing system
- Made with a paracord leash to withstand pulls
- Stainless steel leash clip
- Quick-lock release for easy set-up
Best Hands-Free Leash for Running: FURRY BUDDY Hands-Free Dog Leash
For running, you could benefit from having a pouch. The FURRY BUDDY Hands-Free Dog Leash is just the leash for you. It’s made out of waterproof neoprene fabric that is breathable and padded. The main pocket fits most smartphones and keeps them safe from water, which is perfect for those who love to run in the rain. FURRY BUDDY also throws in a waterproof treat bag when you make your purchase.
There are an adjustable buckle and strap that fits waists between 28″ to 48″, making it ideal for most people. There’s a pocket for your keys, cards, and anything else you’d like to bring with you on your run, including a water bottle holder. You also get a heavy-duty bungee leash that’s strengthened by heavy duty D rings
Last but not least, the leash is backed by a 3-year guarantee. Should you have a problem with the leash, simply return it for your money back.
FURRY BUDDY Hands Free Dog Leash Key Features:
- Waterproof zippered pockets for your phone
- Made with neoprene fabric
- Heavy duty bungee leash
- Adjustable buckle and strap
Who Should Buy a Hands-Free Dog Leash
Hands-free dog leashes are suitable for just about anyone with a dog. If you’re a runner or enjoy a bike ride, a hands-free leash can be used to bring your dog along with you without the hassle of carrying around a traditional leash that can cause wrist, shoulder, and back pain. They’re typically designed to allow your dog the comfort of moving around you on his own without you having to hold anything, letting you focus on riding or running.
If you don’t take your dog on runs, a hands-free leash still frees up your hands for other things. You’ll be able to use the phone while walking your dog, something that you may not have been able to do with a traditional leash. Whatever the case may be, freeing up your hands is a huge bonus for just about anyone.
Important Features to Consider
A hands-free dog leash should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a hands-free dog leash.
- What you’ll be doing with the leash. The purpose of the leash will dictate what kind of lease you go with. If you want to talk your dog on bike rides, you’ll want to make sure you pick a leash that is suitable for use with a bike. If you’re a runner, you may want a specific leash that comes with a pouch for your smartphone or water bottle.
- Material. Depending on the size of your dog and how energetic they are, you may look for a leash that’s especially sturdy. Heavier dogs will require a more durable leash that can withstand stronger pulls, whereas small dogs could get by with just about any material. You can also find material that’s waterproof, so if that’s what you need, look for that.
- The size of your dog. This goes along with the previous point. The size of your dog could dictate the material that the leash is made with. Also, different leashes are made for different sizes of dog. So, make sure the leash you purchase is designed to fit your pooch, whether they be large, small, or in between.
- Color and design. Whatever your tastes are, look for a leash that satisfies you aesthetically. Aside from color and design, there’s also the matter of whether the leash lights up in the dark, like these LED dog collars. If you like to take your dog out at night, make sure the leash is reflective, so you stand out at night.
- Pouch or no pouch. Runner or not, having a pouch on your dog leash is very functional. You can store your smartphone, cards, and other accessories in the pouch so that you don’t need to carry everything around in your pocket. Runners will appreciate the pouch as it enables them to carry water with them hands-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a hands-free dog leash and how does it work?
A hands-free dog leash is designed to enable dog-walking without the traditional leash-in-hand. They are great for runners and bikers, but just about everyone could benefit from one. They often go around your waist rather than in your hand, and function similarly to a normal leash aside from that.
Can you use a hands-free dog leash with multiple dogs?
Many hands-free dog leashes are built for at least two dogs, so yes, you can. Just make sure that the hands-free leash you purchase is made specifically for two dogs. They usually have two padded handles for easy gripping and are designed to withstand the force of two dogs.
Is it safe to use a hands-free dog leash with a dog that pulls?
Yes. In fact, many hands-free dog leashes are designed specifically to save your wrists, shoulders, and back from the brunt of trauma caused by sudden pulls and tugs. They’re built with bungee cords that absorb shock so that your pup isn’t injured and neither are you.
Is a hands-free dog leash safe to use on a bicycle?
Some hands-free dog leashes are, and some aren’t. We’ve listed plenty of dog leashes that are designed specifically to be used on your bicycle. They typically attach to the bicycle but sometimes go around your waist. They keep your dog an appropriate distance away from the bicycle and should enable your pooch to walk parallel to you, not behind or in front, as that is dangerous.
Other Hands-Free Dog Leashes We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other hands-free dog leashes. Even though they didn’t make our five best hands-free dog leashes list, they’re the best of the best, and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Hands-Free Leash for Bikes
Available in three different colors, this bike tow leash is ideal for those with larger dogs. The leash is durable, and it can be equipped to most bikes.
- Durable leash
- For medium to large sized dogs between 10 to 185 pounds
- Available in orange, red, and yellow
A bike tow leash with a universal clamp that fits medium to large sized dogs.
- Universal clamp to fit most bikes
- For medium to large sized dogs
- Comes in yellow or red
A dog bike leash made for dogs up to 20 pounds. It’s sturdy with a soft handle, and the leash is elastic for maximum comfort.
- Soft handle with an elastic leash
- For dogs up to 20 pounds
- Sturdy, won’t detach from the bike
Easy to install and remove, this bike leash is securely attached with velcro and will detach if there is a sudden, forceful pull to protect the dog.
- Expanding cushion protects your dog from pulls
- Attaches with velcro
- Easy to install and remove
This retractable dog leash has a storage space for your smartphone. It’s built with luminous reflective threading that’s easy to see at night.
- Has storage space for your smartphone
- Luminous so it’s visible at night
- Dual handles
With a heavy-duty steel spring, your dog is sure to be safe with the bike leash. It protects from forceful tugs and can be included on either side of your bike.
- Heavy-duty steel spring to absorb impact from tugs
- Harness not included
- Can use on both sides of your bike
The double-clip leash has an integrated handle that keeps your dog a good distance away from your bike. The seat lock fits securely and can be easily removed or installed.
- Double-clip leash with integrated handle
- Adjustable seat lock
- 15″ guide pole
The low mount system keeps the leash secure and is safe for your dog. For easy storage, the leash can be rotated and stored for efficient storage.
- Low mount system that’s stable and safe
- Can be rotated and stored away easily
- Comes in green or black
Hands-Free Leash for Running
This running dog leash is made out of strong bungee material. It’s luminous, allowing people to see you in the dark. There are also pouches to keep your phone, dog treats, or headphones.
- Heavy duty leash with two treat pouches
- Absorbs shock if the dog pulls hard
- Strong bungee construction
The neoprene padded handles make for effective, comfortable gripping. This leash is also adjustable, giving your dog the freedom to explore while staying safe.
- Made with neoprene padded handles
- Adjustable length between 4.5′ and 5′
- Efficiently absorbs shock and keeps your dog safe
A hands-free dog leash with an adjustable waistband. There are dual padded handles that are comfortable to grip. Equipped with a reflective design, you’ll stand out at night.
- Adjustable waistband
- Dual bungee leash that’s durable
- Reflective design
With two collapsible pockets for your phone and accessories, you can freely run without worrying about your devices. The leash itself is made of heavy duty material.
- Two collapsible pockets for your phone or other accessories
- Anti-chew heavy duty material
- Shock-absorbing bungee
Made with premium quality nylon and durable metal clips, you don’t have to worry about replacing this leash. It withstands even the roughest of dogs.
- Premium quality nylon with durable metal clips
- Adjustable waist belt
- Ideal for medium to large dogs
With a 4-foot bungee for shock absorption, you can rest assured that your dog will be safe should there be a sudden tug. The dual handles are comfortable, and the included water bottle holder and zipper bag are efficient.
- Dual handles made with comfortable nylon
- Includes attachable water bottle holder and zipper bag
- 4-foot bungee for shock absorption
For medium to very large dogs, this hands-free leash is very effective. It includes all the standards, like a bungee for safety and padded handles. Included you get a 2-pocket accessory bag and a lifetime replacement guarantee.
- 2-pocket accessory bag included
- For medium to extra large dogs
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
Classic Hands-Free Leash
With a built-in waist-handle, this hands-free leash is effective for walking all sizes of dog, and can even be used for two dogs at the same time.
- Designed for both hands-free and standard use
- Can be used for two dogs
- Suitable for all dog sizes
A customizable leash that can be used for running, walking, for two dogs, hands-free, or as a standard leash. It is durable an built with rustproof clips.
- Easily adjustable and customizable
- Lifetime replacement warranty
- Rustproof alloy clips
This hands-free dog leash relieves wrist and shoulder pain with its adjustable padded waist belt. The neoprene padded handles are soft, and the clips are durable.
- Neoprene padded handles
- Adjustable waist belt
- Relieves wrist and shoulder pain with comfortable waist strap
The dual bungee construction keeps your dog safe, absorbing all shock from tugs. It’s suitable for night time runs thanks to the reflective stitching.
- Dual bungee construction
- Reflective threading for night time use
- Fits all dogs
The adjustable leash is perfect for the dog who loves to wander. It can be used as a traditional leash or as a hands-free on, and comes in multiple colors.
- Adjustable leash between 22″ and 40″
- Quick release mechanism for safety
- Comes in four different colors