Whether you just brought your guinea pig home or you have had one for a while now, it’s beneficial to learn about their play and exercise needs. Your small furry companion needs some exercise time. Although he can run around the cage, it’s ideal to get some guinea pig toys. Not only will the toys improve physical activity, but it will also help brighten their mood and tackle boredom and stress.
You may think of guinea pig toys and assume there are very little options. Fortunately, there are more than you think. In fact, we have taken the research out for you and found the 25 best guinea pig toys. We have narrowed down the results to the top five best toys for your guinea pig with specific features such as toys to promote healthy teeth and activity, along with natural nesting instincts.
Let your guinea pig roam around the house without losing him
After searching through dozens of guinea pig toys, we have identified the Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen as our top pick. Although this playpen is already large enough, there is still potential to make it larger by connecting additional sections. It’s able to be folded and stored so you don’t have to leave it up all the time.
In This Article
- The 5 Top-Rated Guinea Pig Toys for 2018
- Our Top Pick: Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen
- Our Runner-Up Pick: Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel
- Best for Budget: Critter Ware Rice Pops Chew Treat
- Best Hammock Toy: WINOMO Pet Hammock
- Best Treat Ball: Wheeky Treat Ball
- Who Should Buy a Guinea Pig Toy?
- Important Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Guinea Pig Toys We Reviewed
The 5 Top-Rated Guinea Pig Toys for 2018
|Best Overall||Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen||4.0|
|Runner Up||Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Critter Ware Rice Pops Chew Treat||4.5|
|Best Hammock Toy||WINOMO Pet Hammock||4.4|
|Best Treat Ball||Wheeky Treat Ball||4.3|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen
Rather than letting your guinea pig roam around your home and losing him, the Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen is the perfect way to keep your guinea pig entertained while giving him some time outside his cage. At 13 inches long by 9 inches high, along with a 36-inch diameter, your guinea pig will have plenty of room to venture around.
You can put more than one guinea pig in this playpen at once for ultimate fun. Add a few toys and your small animal(s) will have a blast. For an even larger space, you could purchase multiple pens to add on. Once your guinea pig is finished playing in the playpen, you can conveniently fold and store until the next use.
Prevue Pet Products Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen Key Features:
- Best for guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, and other small animals
- 13 inches long by 9 inches high.
- 9 panels each, creating a 36-inch diameter play space. Wire spacing is 3/8.
Our Runner-Up Pick: Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel
Our runner-up pick is the Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel. It comes in medium or large sizes: both are 35.4 inches in length, while the medium has a smaller diameter (5.9 inches vs. 7.9 inches in the large size). It can be used alone or attached to another tunnel or to a tent (both sold separately) for an expandable, engaging play maze for your furry friend. Not only is this tunnel great for playtime, but it also provides a great safe space for hiding or taking a snooze.
The Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel folds up compactly for easy storage, so you can promote play and exploration with a change of scenery, and pack it up, out of sight, when not in use.
Hagen Living World Pet Tunnel Key Features:
- Attaches to the Living World Tent for Pets (sold separately)
- Suitable for rats, ferrets, guinea pigs, and dwarf rabbits
- Makes a crinkly sound for added amusement
- 35.4 inches long, available with a 5.9-inch or 7.9-inch diameter
Best for Budget: Critter Ware Rice Pops Chew Treat
Guinea pigs enjoy chewing, especially on treats in their cage. As your guinea pig gnaws away on a Critter Ware Rice Pops Chew Treat, it will promote healthy and clean teeth.
These rice pops can help with cage boredom. Not only will your pet enjoy his treat, but it can create a special bonding time if you hand feed the treat.
Critter Ware Rice Pops Chew Treat Key Features:
- Made with rice and corn
- Crunchy and crispy treat that’s irresistible to small pets
- 3/4 inch in diameter by 5″ height
- Perfect for hand feeding
- Reduces cage boredom
- Helps promote healthy and clean teeth
Best Hammock Toy: WINOMO Pet Hammock
As the best hammock toy, the WINOMO Pet Hammock provides your guinea pig with a comfortable, warm, and peaceful place to rest. With four hanging clips, you can attach the hammock securely to the cage.
Equipped with anti-rust and corrosion resistant benefit, you get the most out of your money with this hammock. Your guinea pig can use this hammock as a bed and a toy. With high-quality material, this hammock comes with long-lasting durability. There’s no doubt guinea pigs get dirty. If your hanging toy gets dirty, it’s machine washable.
WINOMO Pet Hammock Key Features:
- Perfect hut for small pets such as guinea pigs, chinchillas, and other small animals
- A hammock bed that can also be used as a toy
- High quality with a solid structure
- Durability for long-lasting use
- Anti-corrosion and anti-rust 4 clip chains for portable and convenient cleaning
- Soft to keep a comfortable environment for your pet
Best Treat Ball: Wheeky Treat Ball
Interactive toy that will put a stop to boredom and promote physical activity
The Wheeky Treat Ball is ideal for small pets and has an adjustable opening to knock out boredom for your guinea pig. This treat ball is not a chew toy but it’s an interactive treat ball that will enhance a fun physical and mental challenge for your pet.
You can put herbs, dried fruit, or a diced carrot inside and adjust the opening so it’s perfect for your pet. All you have to do is shake the ball once you add the treat and your pet will begin to associate the shaking noise with treats. This treat ball is a great way for you to bond and play with your guinea pig.
Wheeky Treat Ball Key Features:
- Perfect small size for guinea pigs (7 cm diameter and 2.8 inches)
- Interactive and fun treat ball to improve physical and mental health
- Boredom-busting toy
- Adjustable opening for treats
- Orange decorative carrots and bright yellow color
Who Should Buy a Guinea Pig Toy?
Whether you’re buying a young guinea pig or adopting an adult, whether you have one guinea pig or several, your pets require enrichment beyond the typical sights and sounds of their surroundings. In fact, guinea pigs thrive when they have several types of toys to entertain themselves, including chew toys to keep their teeth healthy, hideouts where they can get a bit of privacy, treats to please their taste buds, and other toys that can help them stay active and engaged. You’ll need to replace items such as chew toys and treats regularly, as well as add some new non-consumables every now and then for fun. Check out our guide on how to take care of a guinea pig for more tips on providing the best care for your pet.
If you’re just adopting your first guinea pig, it’s a good idea to buy a few different types of toys while you’re setting up the habitat. That way, your new pet has plenty of options to meet his various needs, and you can keep a watchful eye to determine his likes and dislikes. Then when it’s time to replace his treats or introduce some new toys for a bit of variety, you’ll know exactly what your guinea pig will enjoy most. We also review the best guinea pig cages and the best guinea pig food in separate posts.
Let your guinea pig roam around the house without losing him
Important Features to Consider
A guinea pig toy should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a guinea pig toy for your small pet.
- Designed for guinea pigs. When you start your search for guinea pig toys, make sure you only choose those that are made for guinea pigs. Some small animal toys can be dangerous for a guinea pig (for example: an exercise ball) Also, make sure to not use things around the house. While a toilet paper may be okay to gnaw on, a piece of a wooden block that is painted would be toxic.
- High-quality materials. If you want to get the most out of your guinea pig toy, make sure you check that it’s made with high quality, durable materials. Also, guinea pigs love to chew, so you don’t want them chewing on something that could potentially hurt them. Read the description thoroughly to ensure it’s made properly for long-lasting use.
- Variety. It’s beneficial to ensure your guinea pig has a variety of toys. Not only to prevent them from getting bored, but make sure your small furry companion has toys dedicated to strengthening his teeth and making them healthier. Additionally, have toys available that promote exercise to avoid your guinea pig from being completely sedentary. Promote natural instincts by having an igloo, tunnel, or similar toy available to sleep or hide when he wants privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are guinea pig toys?
Guinea pig toys are either chew toys, tunnels, houses to hide in, ball, or hammock that will keep your small pet occupied. Guinea pigs need to feel safe and free from boredom. These toys and hideouts can help.
Can a guinea pig use a ball?
Recent research indicates that a guinea pig’s spine is not meant to be bent backward. By placing your guinea pig in a ball, it can cause extreme pain and permanent damage. Never put your guinea pig in a running wheel or exercise ball so you can avoid dangers effects.
What toys can I give my guinea pig?
You can give your guinea pig toys such as hideouts, small pet swings, chew toys, and treat balls. It’s ideal to give your guinea pig a range of toys to prevent boredom and promote healthy chewing and physical activity.
Can I give my guinea pig toilet paper rolls?
Yes, giving a toilet paper roll to a guinea pig is completely safe. They will be able to use it as a chew toy. However, you may want to consider cutting a slit in it to prevent their head from getting stuck inside.
Other Guinea Pig Toys We Reviewed
Let your guinea pig roam around the house without losing him
We looked at 20 other guinea pig toys. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best guinea pig toys list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your guinea pig. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included in the listing.
Chew and Treat Toys
This wood and natural lava chew toy offers a combination of natural wood pieces and volcanic pumice rock material. The benefits of having wood and lava materials are to help keep your pet’s teeth clean and to promote healthy activity.
- Wood and lava materials for healthy teeth
- A unique combination of natural wood pieces and volcanic pumice rock material
- Decent size of 2-1/2-inch wide and 9-1/2-inch long
- Perfect for small animals such as guinea pigs, rabbits, and chinchillas
- Conveniently comes with a natural wood hook for hanging
Safe chew toy for your guinea pig or other small animals. This barrel roller encourages guinea pigs to play and promotes healthy teeth.
- Completely safe
- Ideal to boost activity
- Promotes fun for small animals
You can keep your pet entertained for a while with this wooden chew toy. With easy attachment to the cage, your pet can gnaw on the toy anytime.
- Comes in small and large size
- Refillable treat dispensing toy
- Includes a bell
The Kayty Carousel Carrot Chew Toy helps reduce the potential of boredom in your guinea pig. The loofah and wood combination will get your guinea pig excited to play and also help floss and clean their teeth while chewing.
- Keep teeth trim and clean
- Completely safe chewable material
- Reduce boredom
This 3-in-1 activity log provides a safe place to hide, tasty treat, and chew toy for your pet. Due to the wood design, the log is made to provide more enjoyment and increase stimulation for guinea pigs and other small animals.
- 100% safe and edible
- Made with fresh alfalfa and honey
- Natural wood design
A 3-in-1 natural wood-look with thatched rood house pieces to encourage play. Made with alfalfa and golden honey to also act as a treat.
- 100% edible and safe
- Perfect hideaway that also acts as a treat
- Available in a large size
A new and interactive way to provide an education twist with toys for small animals such as guinea pigs. This toy requires guinea pigs to observe and listen. The Teach N Treat Toy is a great way to bond with your pet, but also promote healthy habits.
- Rewarding, interactive toy
- Three different levels to create an effective learning experience
- Keeps your guinea pig alert and healthy.
This veggie twister treat fits conveniently on a cage. It’s also great for holding vegetables and hay. Made from pet-safe powder wire.
- Designed to keep treats and hay off the cage floor
- Chew-proof wire
- Bell included for play
Ideal toy to create a positive playtime experience. Made of solid wood construction for durability. This Tug-N-Toss Apple is the perfect size for a small animal to pick up and toss.
- Cotton Ribbons allow pets to easily pick up and toss the toy
- Durable wood construction
- Durable and long-lasting
Each of these chew toys are handcrafted. Each varies in size as they are handmade but usually measure around 2.5-3 inches in width. These coconut husk swirlers are made from one natural ingredient, making it a healthy option for your guinea pig.
- Stress relieving chew toy
- Mentally stimulating, fighting unhealthy behaviors
- Keeps pets busy safely
The Willow Branch Ball is made from all-natural willow branch, which is completely safe for your pet. Guinea Pigs love chewing the willow, leading to healthy and clean teeth.
- Satisfies natural chewing instincts
- Made of natural willow
- Makes playing time appealing
- Measurements are 4 inches high, 4 inches wide, and 4 inches long
Guinea pigs love hideout toys and this crinkle tunnel will provide a fun twist. Exploration is encouraged with this 23″ long tunnel. The tunnel is made to attach to other crinkle tunnels to provide even more of an adventure for your small pet.
- Secure and cozy resting spot
- Machine washable
- 6″ diameter and 23″ long
This wooden seesaw promotes digging and wood playing fun. It can be used either inside or outside the cage. At 5.2″ high, it’s just the right size for your guinea pig.
- Promotes natural instincts to dig and burrow
- Relieves stress and boredom
- Increases activity
- Made of natural wood
Hand-woven grass activity center, ideal for guinea pigs. With a sweet fragrance of 100% all-natural grass materials will enhance your small pet’s instinct to burrow, explore, play, and nest.
- 100% natural sisal tassel
- Satisfies natural instincts such as nesting, exploring, and burrowing
- Measures 6 inches high, 9 inches wide, and 11 inches long
The walk up barn is the perfect spot for your small pet to hang out. Aside from climbing up the stairs, your guinea pig will be able to hide out on the inside when he needs some privacy. The barn comes in translucent colors so you can see your pet easily from the outside. With a large size, your pet will have plenty of room to roam.
- Easy climbable stairs for the perfect view
- Convenient to go inside for privacy
- Odor resistant
- Ideal for guinea pigs and other small animals
- Translucent plastic so you can see your pets from the outside
With translucent color and material, you can see your pet from outside of the igloo. This giant igloo is stain resistant, odor resistant, and easy to clean. Your pet will be able to get plenty of fresh air in his igloo with equipped air vents.
- Durable plastic
- Stain resistant and easy
- Promotes natural nesting instincts
- One piece construction, no assembly
- Large enough for your pet at 8.5″ high and 15.75″ wide
This wooden bell toy is made from natural wood, making it a safe toy. The small ball included provides interactive fun and exercise.
- Popular among guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and hedgehogs
- Natural wood
- Small bell for fun and exercise
Don’t worry about your guinea pig’s nails anymore when he enters or exits the cage as this bridge can provide a safer option. Made with a high-quality design so it will be a long-lasting toy for your pet. Ability to use inside the cage so your guinea pig can use it as a climbing frame.
- Allows easy entering and exit access
- Option for placing in the cage
- Made from natural materials
- Measurements are 7-inch height, 6- 3/4-inch in width, and 23-1/2-inch length
This small animal house is the perfect spot for small animals like guinea pigs. Not only is this tunnel house stylish but it’s made from natural wood. Your guinea pig will have his own relaxation space in his cage with this tunnel.
- Two story house
- Natural wood
- A tunnel, tower, and other climbing potential
- Plenty of entertainment
A cage isn’t enough for a guinea pig. They need a place specifically for sleep, water, food, play, and exercise. Your small animal will thank you for getting him this small hut to run around at night and sleep during the day.
- Offers a place to rest, climb, play, and sit
- Built with natural wood materials
- Satisfies natural instincts for above ground eating and sleeping
- Measuring 5.7 inches wide, 2.3 inches high, and 4.7 inches in depth.