Any pet owner who has had to deal with a flea infestation on their dog or in their home knows you need to take care of it quickly and with a top quality flea product. Flea medicine can be expensive and flea shampoo can be messy. When you need an effective flea treatment for your dog, consider using a flea spray. Flea sprays are easy to apply, can be used multiple times and are often less harsh than using flea collars, shampoos and medicines.
We reviewed dozens of flea sprays for dogs to identify the best of the best. We looked at many factors including how well the flea spray worked and how long it lasted. We also considered what ingredients were used, how easy it was to apply and if it was safe to use around puppies and kids. Since fleas multiply quickly, its important to choose a product that will penetrate the soft surfaces in your home with precision. Our top five picks offer reliability, prevention, natural ingredients and even protection for young and older dogs.
Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Carpet Spray is a favorite or reviewers for its quick application and long lasting capabilities. It leaves no unpleasant odor or sticky mess behind, and it won’t stain your furniture.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Flea Spray for Dogs
|Best Overall||Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Carpet Spray||4.5|
|Runner Up||Vet's Best Flea and Tick Home Spray||3.8|
|Best Budget Buy||Hartz Flea & Tick Shampoos and Sprays||4.0|
|Best Natural Flea Spray for Dogs||Wondercide Natural Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray for Dogs, Cats, and Home||3.9|
|Best Foam||CBD Living Dog Moisturizing Foam||N/A|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Carpet Spray
Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Carpet Spray is a home flea spray that will give you peace of mind when dealing with a flea infestation. It works for up to 7 months so you only need to apply once. It covers over 2,000 square feet and kills fleas even in hidden areas of your home.
A huge bonus is that the flea spray will not stain your carpet and furniture. It doesn’t have a lingering odor so don’t have to announce to all of your guests that you have been spending the day getting rid of fleas. Simply spray the affected areas and your done.
Virbac Knockout E.S. Area Treatment Carpet Spray Key Features:
- Prevents flea infestations from developing for up to 7 months
- Covers 2,100 square feet
- Kills fleas hidden in carpets, rugs, drapes, upholstery, floor cracks and more
- No odor
- No mess
- No staining
Our Runner Up Pick: Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray
Our runner up pick trades a long effective period for natural ingredients. You will love the steam-distilled essential oils. We appreciate that the Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray can be used in the home and directly on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
It works quickly to eliminate fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, ticks and mosquitoes. Use this spray for prevention as well as a full blown infestation. Does not damage your dog’s coat.
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray Key Features:
- No harsh chemicals
- Effective for prevention and infestation
- Steam-distilled essential oils
- Apply to your home surfaces or directly to your pet
Best Budget Pick: Hartz Flea & Tick Shampoos and Sprays
If you are looking for a trusted flea spray that won’t break the bank, Hartz Flea & Tick Shampoos and Sprays is the best option. At under $7, you can’t go wrong with an easy to use spray that can be used on your dog, puppy (12 weeks or older) and the soft surfaces in your home.
Killing adult fleas on your dog is not enough. Often there are dozens of fleas that you don’t see that are in the beginning stages of life (eggs, larvae). These fleas can continue to multiple and cause even more frustration. By using an effective spray on your dog and the areas in your home where the dog roams and sleeps, you can rest assured that you have eliminated the flea population on your dog and in your home.
Hartz Flea & Tick Shampoos and Sprays Key Features:
- Safe for dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older
- Kills both fleas and ticks
- Fast acting
- Water-based spray
Best Natural Flea Spray for Dogs: Wondercide Natural Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray for Dogs, Cats, and Home
If you are worried about the chemicals in flea collars, pills, chewables and drops that may be causing your dog additional discomfort, you will love using Wondercide Natural Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray for Dogs, Cats, and Home. This flea spray has no harsh chemicals and is safe to use around puppies, senior dogs and even around children.
It kills on contact. Repels and prevents 98-100% of fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, eliminating the entire life cycle. Also works on carpet, furniture, bedding and flooring. A pleasing cedar scent keeps your home fresh.
Wondercide Natural Flea, Tick and Mosquito Spray for Dogs, Cats, and Home Key Features:
- Repels and prevents 98-100% of fleas, ticks and mosquitoes
- Safe alternative to collars, pills, chewables and drops
- Works on all ages of dogs and cats
- Can also be applied to carpet, furniture, bedding, etc.
- Cedar scent
Best Foam: CBD Living Dog Moisturizing Foam
Formulated for all dog breeds and the foam formula is perfect for a no-mess application.Check Price
CBD Living Dog Moisturizing Foam is the perfect moisturizing foam. Not only does it calm, soothe and moisturize the skin from any insect bites or skin irritation, but the foam also provides support against flea and ticks.
CBD Living Dog Moisturizing Foam uses ingredients, such as water soluble CBD nano particles, vitamins, proteins, and calendula flowers. The CBD Living proprietary CBD complex immediately penetrates and absorbs in the dog’s skin due to a patented skin delivery system.
CBD Living Dog Moisturizing Foam Key Features:
- 100mg of Broad Spectrum CBD
- Vitamins, Proteins, and Calendula Flowers
- Cruelty free, pH balanced, and alcohol free
- Soothes irritated skin
Who Should Buy Flea Spray for Dogs
The majority of flea sprays are effective in repelling fleas and other pests from your pets and home. Flea sprays are easy to apply and work quickly to keep your pets and family safe.
If you have a pet, you should be proactive regarding flea prevention both on your pet and in your home. Fleas can multiple quickly causing pain and frustration to your pet and family. It is important to deal with the problem as soon as it arises. The quicker you deal with the problem, the less time and cost it will take to be pest free.
Important Features to Consider
Flea spray for dogs should work fast to eliminate fleas on your dog and in your home. It should also be effective and long lasting. Here’s what to consider when selecting a flea spray for dogs:
- Ingredients. While most flea sprays are safe for your pets and family, not all of the flea sprays are made from natural ingredients. If you would rather not have harsh chemicals in your home or on your pet, take a close look at the product description for active ingredients. Flea bites can be very uncomfortable for your pet. If flea bites are present, consider choosing a flea spray that has natural skin soothing properties to help your pet heal.
- Pet application. If you are proactive about your pet’s pest prevention, you will need to purchase a spray that helps prevent fleas and ticks from wanting to attack. Sprays that provide an invisible shield of protection will be most helpful and often have less side effects than collars or pills. It is important to follow the directions of the specific flea spray that you choose. Some sprays are meant for direct application while others are formulated for home use.
- Home application. If your pet already has fleas and you suspect they are also invading your home, you should consider a spray that is for indoor use. Home flea sprays are great for not only killing adult fleas but for stopping the cycle of fleas from birth to adulthood. When purchasing a flea spray for your home, consider searching for one that is able to penetrate carpets and upholstery, does not stain and kills on contact.
- Frequency. Getting rid of fleas can be a difficult job. They reproduce quickly and if you don’t take care of the source, you could be left in over your head. If you are preventing fleas from getting on your pet, you could choose a daily spray that is applied when you take them for a walk or before they go outside. If you live in an area where fleas are prevalent or they are already present in your home, choose a home spray that lasts for several months. Always check your pet to make sure they are free of fleas so you can rest assured they are not adding to the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is flea spray for dogs and how does it work?
The active ingredients in flea and tick sprays work similar to way other flea prevention product work. They blast the pests with neurotoxins that damage the insects’ nervous systems. By doing this it kills the fleas and ticks on contact. Additional growth inhibitors prevent additional fleas and ticks from forming and causing future infestations.
Is flea spray for dogs safe for cats?
Not all flea sprays for dogs are safe for cats. Some flea sprays are specially formulated for dogs only. If you need a flea spray for both dogs and cats, Ark Naturals Neem Protect for Dogs and Cats is a good option to consider.
Does flea spray kill eggs?
Not all flea sprays kill eggs. Some are formulated just to kill adult fleas. Look for labels that state the spray kills flea eggs.
Can you use flea spray with other flea treatments?
You should always consult your vet before mixing medications for your dog. If you are using one product that just treats fleas and another that just treats ticks, chances are using both medications are safe. However, some dogs with a weakened immune system or medical condition might not be able to handle more than one pest product at a time. If you feel your flea treatment is no longer effective, wait a few days before trying a new spray, especially if the active ingredients are the same.
Other Flea Sprays for Dogs We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other flea sprays for dogs. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best flea sprays for dogs list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Dog Flea Sprays For Home Use
- Natural Flea Sprays for Dogs
- Flea Sprays Safe for Puppies (12 Weeks or Older)
Dog Flea Sprays For Home Use
Kills up to 99% of fleas, ticks, larvae and eggs when applied to home surfaces. Made with 4 EPA-approved natural essential oils.
- Made in the USA
- Safe for both dogs and cats
- Pleasant citrus aroma
Prevent fleas for up to seven months in your home. Ability to reach fleas hidden in carpets, rugs, drapes, upholstery, pet bedding and floor cracks.
- Kills flea eggs
- Kills fleas and ticks
- Solution includes flea growth regulator
Prevents re-infestation and flea build-up for 7 months. Only works as an adulticide when used for ticks.
- One can covers 2,000 square feet
- Pleasant smell
Fast-acting formula that protects and kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs and flea larvae. Treats 2,000 square feet of carpet and upholstery.
- Water-based formula, no odor
- Easy to use aerosol spray, covers a large area
For indoor use only including homes, hotels, offices, hospitals, schools, etc. Kills all stages of fleas and ticks for up to seven months.
- Flea and tick control
- Pet odor neutralizer
- Do not use directly on pets
Made with 100% natural ingredients. Premium blend of essential oils that is safe and effective.
- Manufactured in the USA
- Pleasing scent
- Easy-to-squeeze spray bottle for fast application
Natural Flea Sprays for Dogs
Natural repellent that protects against fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and flies. Does not contain any drugs or synthetic chemicals.
- Sustainably sourced Brazilian oils
- Natural shield against pests
- No sticky residue on pet’s coat
All natural formula with herbal ingredients. Safe for your dog, home and family.
- Pesticide-free formula
- Fresh fragrance
- Protects for fleas, ticks, mites and mosquitoes
Kills fleas and ticks instantly. Long lasting formula that works on both dogs and cats.
- Gentle on skin and hair
- Citrus scented
Chemical free solution. Uses a combination of peppermint and clove oils to kill fleas on contact.
- No chemicals
- Kills fleas, ticks and eggs on contact
- Prevents future infestation
Created with a blend of Brazilian oils. The blend of natural oils promotes a healthy, shiny coat.
- Safe for use on your dog, dog bedding and collars
- Force field of protection against pests
- Pleasant smell
Kills and repels fleas and ticks. Works for up to seven days.
- Made with cinnamon, cedar wood and clove oils
- Effective on black flies and mosquitoes
- Contains no pyrethins
Flea Sprays Safe for Puppies (12 Weeks or Older)
Eliminates flea eggs and flea larvae. 100% guaranteed flea control kit.
- Pyrethrins kill adult fleas
- Precor IGR kills flea eggs and larvae
- Safe for puppies and kittens
Featuring no DEET, 100% plant based ingredients. Repels ticks and fleas with non-GMO ingredients.
- Safe for puppies and kids
- Repels ticks, fleas, black flies, mosquitoes
- Made in the USA
Insecticide and repellent of fleas and ticks. For use on dogs in the home and in pet resting areas.
- Water based formula
- Citronella scent
- Kills fleas and ticks
Kills and repels fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. Safe for your dog, puppy and family when applied as directed.
- Plant-based ingredients
- Water based
- Active natural ingredients such as peppermint, cinnamon and clove oil
Rated for dogs and puppies 8 weeks of age or older. Long lasting spray from a brand you can trust.
- Waterproof treatment
- Controls fleas, ticks and chewing lice
100% all-natural actives that kill fleas and ticks. Also repels mosquitoes.
- Lasts for up to 4 weeks
- Formulated for dogs 12 weeks and older (not safe for cats)
- Paraben-free with no artificial color or fragrance
Kills fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies, mites, gnats, chiggers and more. Only takes a light misting of this cedar oil solutions to provide all day protection.
- Spray directly on fleas and ticks
- Apply to ears, tail, legs and stomach
- No artificial fragrances, colorants or preservatives
Starts to kill fleas and ticks on dogs within five minutes. Contains fipronil, same active ingredient as Frontline Plus.
- Waterproof formula
- Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, adult ticks, tick nymphs and tick larvae
- Uses monthly