Our canine companions are most definitely a huge part of our family. They seem to sense when we are down, or when we need a cuddle. They are always there for us, and vice versa. In doing so, we want to give them the best possible life, and all that can come down to the food that we are feeding to them. Whether you choose to feed them canned dog food, or dry, you definitely want the best for your beloved pet.
We have reviewed dozens of different dry dog foods to identify the best of the best. When checking, we looked at different factors like ingredients, the age of the dog, and of course, probably the most important detail of all, all of the different flavors that a dog would enjoy eating. Below are the best dry dog foods that we reviewed.
After doing some researching, we found that Purina Pro Plan Savor is the top pick for the best dry dog food. With various flavors and delicious and wholesome ingredients, this food is, well, “top dog!”
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dry Dog Foods
|Best Overall||Purina Pro Plan Savor Dog Food||4.4|
|Runner Up||Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dog Food||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||Wag Amazon Brand Dog Food||4.0|
|Best Dry Dog Food For Seniors||Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula||4.3|
|Best Dry Dog Food For Puppies||Nutro Ultra Puppy Dry Dog Food||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Purina Pro Plan Savor
After scouting around for the best dry dog food out there, Purina Pro Plan Savor was hands down, the winner. With over 2,000 plus reviews, it is clear why this dog food made it into our top slot. Coming in flavors like lamb, beef, salmon, and chicken with rice, there is a variety of different flavors that your pup can try. Real meat is the number one ingredient in this dog food. It is created using high-quality protein, to build strong muscles and promote a healthy lifestyle for your dog.
The dog food itself is a kibble mixed with shredded and tender bites, for an interesting taste that your dog will go crazy for. It provides 100% balanced nutrition for your dog, including prebiotic fibers from wheat bran. It also has vitamin A, linoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids to help provide your dog with a shiny coat and smooth skin. The food provides an optimal diet, with an appropriate protein-to-fat ratio for your dog. So no matter what their day-to-day activities are, Purina has them covered to help keep them healthy and happy. This dog food even comes veterinarian recommended, and many consumers have seen a noticeable difference in their dogs when feeding them this delicious kibble.
Purina Pro Plan Savor Key Features:
- Real meat as first ingredient
- Filled with ingredients to promote your dog’s optimal health
- Unique kibble/shredded mixture
- Veterinarian recommended
Our Runner Up: Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dog Food
With no artificial ingredients or preservatives, Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dog Food is our runner up pick. Ingredients include farm-raised poultry such as chicken and turkey from the U.S.A. Prebiotics are mixed in to help stimulate optimal digestive health for your dog, and many consumers have seen a difference in their dogs after switching them over to this food. These food formulas do not include any gluten, wheat or by-product meals, which makes it perfect for dogs with a sensitive stomach. It also incorporates vitamins and minerals to bolster your dog’s immune system.
It is a great choice to feed your dog, especially since they have even come out with a new formula, with the same ingredients, just for smaller breed dogs. So, for even your tiniest teacup pups, this food will provide them with everything that they need to grow and thrive. Each ingredient is hand-selected, from the meat, chicken, and seafood, right down to the tasty veggies that are mixed in. From fresh peas to the crunchy munchy carrots that are packed full of beta carotene, you will find it in this dog food. Even brown rice, which is a great source of both B vitamins and carbohydrates, everything is pulled fresh, with nothing synthetic added.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dog Food Key Features:
- Vitamins, minerals, and probiotics promote a healthy immune system
- Gluten and wheat free for sensitive stomachs
- Made fresh with wholesome ingredients
- Formulated for small-breed dogs as well
Best Budget Pick: Wag Amazon Brand Dog Food
If you are looking to switch your dog to a different food, Wag Amazon Brand Dog Food may be a great choice. The Wag brand is Amazon’s own private label pet food company, based out of the great state of California. Coming in a variety of different flavors like lamb, salmon, turkey, beef and chicken (for puppies), there is a flavor for even the most discerning of palates. The first ingredients are real meat sourced from the U.S., while the lamb is sourced from Australia.
Lentils and peas are mixed in with the food for added minerals and vitamins, as well as antioxidants and phytonutrients. Their recipes are even formulated with a veterinarian alongside them, so you know that you are getting high-quality dog food. There are no added grains in this dog food, so there is less risk of an upset stomach. Each serving contains 35% protein to help keep your dog strong, healthy and active. Each batch that is made in their facility is tested for quality control and adheres to the highest safety food protocols, to make certain that it meets the highest of standards, ensuring that your dog is getting the best food that they possibly can.
Wag Amazon Brand Dog Food Key Features:
- Held to the highest food safety standards
- Real meat is the first ingredient
- Great source of antioxidants and vitamins
- No added grains
Best Dry Dog Food For Seniors: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Featuring Lifesource Bits, Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula dog food is a great choice for your aging companion. Lifesource Bits are exclusive to this specific formula of Blue Buffalo’s dog food. They contain just the right amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and more, all of them being handpicked by animal nutritionists and holistic veterinarians. The bits are just the right balance of these ingredients to keep your dog at their optimal health. Not only that, but this formula also contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support healthy joints and provides mobility support in your pooch, so they can still go for their favorite morning walks with you.
This formula is made with high-quality ingredients that are filled with protein. Those ingredients include real meat and rice, as well as plenty of vegetables like sweet potato and whole peas, and fruits, like blueberries, which are known to be a superfood and cranberries. There are no chicken or poultry by-product meals, corn or wheat, as well as zero artificial ingredients or preservatives. This formula helps to provide energy and even to help to preserve the health of your dog’s teeth with ingredients like phosphorus, calcium and other vitamins that help to build and maintain strong bone health.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Key Features:
- Ingredients hand-chosen by animal nutritionists
- Glucosamine and chondroitin incorporated for improved joint mobility
- Helps to maintain bone and tooth health
- Provides energy with power-packed ingredients
Best Dry Dog Food For Puppies: Nutro Ultra Puppy Dry Dog Food
Promoting brain development and healthy growth, Nutro Ultra Puppy Dry Dog Food is made with a combination of a whopping fifteen different superfoods to promote development. It features protein from not one, but three different sources, which include salmon, chicken, and lamb. These ingredients provide essential nutrients needed for growing puppies. It is made without chicken by-product meal, soy, and corn.
Nutro Ultra believes that taste shouldn’t be sacrificed over nutrition, and that is why they added their amazing superfood formula. Some of the superfoods that are mixed into this formula include coconut, kale, chia, blueberries and more. All kinds of vegetables and fruits that dogs will love. They are all sourced from trusted suppliers and farmers and are made with non-GMO ingredients. No artificial colors or preservatives are ever added.
This formula has a combination of DHA and high levels of antioxidants to support and promote healthy brain growth and function, as well as a healthy immune system and heart. Since puppies are just babies coming into their own, the food itself is made up of a small kibble that is easy to chew. Because puppies burn a ton of energy throughout the day through walking, playing and jumping around the house, this kibble is formulated to help them keep those energy levels up and to grow up to be big, strong and healthy dogs.
Nutro Ultra Puppy Dry Dog Food Key Features:
- Features 15 superfoods
- Protein is provided from 3 different sources to provide plenty of nutrients
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Easy-to-chew kibble
Who Should Buy Dry Dog Food
There are various people who should buy dry dog food. Perhaps you may be looking to switch your dog from wet dog food to a dry one. This can be especially true if your dog is having possible stomach trouble from wet dog food. Dry dog food can also provide a lot of nutrients to puppies, adults and senior dogs alike. Many dog food brands offer wonderful nutritious formulas for dogs, from ones that will treat anything from dry skin to gluten intolerance.
Dry dog food also comes in a myriad of flavors, from chicken and lamb to beef, venison and even vegetarian. If you want to offer your dog something different in the way of flavor, dry dog food may be the way to go for them. It is always important to first check with your dog’s veterinarian before switching to dry dog food, as they can advise you what is best to buy.
Important Features To Consider
Dry dog food should nourish your dog and keep them in optimal health, no matter what stage of life that they are in. Here is what to consider when selecting a dry dog food for your pet.
- Ingredients. Ingredients are always the first thing to look at when it comes to purchasing a good dry dog food for your pet. Ultimately, it usually comes down to what kind of food that your dog can tolerate. Do they have digestive issues? If so, going ahead with a grain-free dry dog food would be the best option for them. If they can tolerate a normal diet, a regular, adult-sized dry dog food would be a good choice for them.
- Choice. Just like their human owners, dogs can have different preferences in what they might like. If your dog does not really prefer a chicken-flavored dog food, you could try switching over to a beef, lamb or salmon flavor. You never know, they might even like a vegetarian recipe dog food. If you are trying to find out which food your dog will like best, purchasing sample-sized bags of the food is a great way to find out what they like best.
- Nutrients. This is definitely a big factor to consider when you are on the lookout for a dry dog food for your pet. Different formulas tend to have different nutrients in them, depending on various factors like age and breed. For example, if you are looking for dog food for your senior-aged dog, check the ingredients list for nutrients like glucosamine and chondroitin, which can help keep your dog’s joints healthy and still ready for anything and everything. For a normal adult-sized dog, food infused with omega-6 fatty acids are a great choice to keep their skin soft and their coat shiny. For a puppy, look for nutrients like DHA that promote brain development in your young dog.
- Texture. For some dogs who have sensitive mouths and teeth, texture can be an important factor to consider. Some dry dog foods have shreds mixed in their food, or they make a softer-type kibble, thus making it easier for your dog to chew.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is dry or wet dog food better?
To answer this question, it all comes down to a few factors. Have you tried both types of food, dry and wet? Observe your dog and see which one that they seem to take to better, what one that they enjoy the most. There are quite a few benefits that come with feeding your dog dry kibble, though. For example, your dog has to chew more, it can maintain great dental hygiene for your dog. When it comes to storage, dry dog food is much easier to store than wet dog food. Wet food has to be either eaten quickly or refrigerated and consumed in a relatively quick amount of time because it can spoil in a short amount of time. Whereas dry food can be given to your dog in their bowl, and they can come and go and eat it as they please. It is also a lot easier to store than wet food. You can keep dry food in an airtight container and it will not spoil. One final note is that dry dog food can be a more economical choice, as you can get large amounts of it in a bag that will last you for a while for a great price.
Can I mix wet and dry dog food?
Mixing wet and dry dog food can boast many benefits for dogs. For example, older dogs olfactory sensors may not be what they used to. By mixing wet food with dry dog food, your old pal will be able to smell their food better, and make it more enticing to eat. Plus, it mixes up their routine a little bit, experimenting with different textures and tastes. If your dog is on a specialized diet, it is probably not best to mix both wet and dry dog food. But if your dog is on a regular diet, you can definitely mix things up with wet and dry food. But it must be reiterated that you should speak to your dog’s veterinarian before switching or changing anything with their food.
How much dry dog food should I feed my dog?
If underfed, dogs can have nutritional deficiencies, and too much, we risk making them obese. So what is the happy medium here? The best place to start is the dog food packaging’s nutritional label. They usually have a section where it will tell you how much you should feed your dog, based on their size. It usually looks like a table/chart with different dog sizes and weights. From there, it will tell you approximately how many cups of food that you should be giving to your dog on a daily basis. At your dog’s annual veterinary checkup, this is definitely a question worth asking, though. They will also be able to tell you if you should be feeding your dog more than once per day.
Is it okay to leave dry dog food out for dogs?
It is okay to leave dry dog food out for your dog to eat as he or she pleases. However, if the dog has not eaten all of the food within 24 hours of being given it, try to perhaps cut back a little bit on the amount of food being given.
Other Dry Dog Foods We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dry dog foods. Even though they did not make our 5 best dry dog foods, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Red Meat Flavored Dry Dog Food
- Seafood Flavored Dry Dog Food
- Poultry Flavored Dry Dog Food
- Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
Red Meat Flavored Dry Dog Food
This dog food is made with delicious red meat for your dog to enjoy. It is a high-protein formula.
- Featuring Lifesource Bits
- Made with healthy carbohydrates
Created with 70% animal protein and 30% vegetable protein, this food is packed with nutrients. It is grain free, with no added preservatives or colors.
- Inspired by raw food
- Has probiotics to aid in digestion
- Real, whole food ingredients
Pedigree provides complete nutrition for your dog. It has whole grains and fiber for a healthy diet.
- No high-fructose corn syrup or artificial ingredients
- Delicious steak flavor infused with antioxidants
- Omega-6 fatty acids keep your dog’s coat shiny
Made with real bison, this holistic dry dog food also features sweet potatoes for a delicious flavor. Made with fiber-rich probiotics.
- Made with 20 different superfoods
- High-quality proteins are sourced from around the world
- First ingredient is real meat
This active dog and puppy formula is full of rich vitamins and minerals to help maintain an active lifestyle. It is grain-free for dog’s with stomach trouble.
- Fortified with amino acids, protein and more
- Nutrient dense with protein
- Formulated with prebiotics and probiotics
Seafood Flavored Dry Dog Food
Made with whole salmon and whitefish as first ingredients. It is grain-free made with chickpeas and lentils.
- Made with non-GMO vegetables
- Wild caught seafood
- Highly digestible formula
Packed full of yummy garbanzo beans and lentils, this food is rich in fiber. Created with non-GMO ingredients.
- Full of digestive enzymes to help your dog’s sensitive stomach
- Ingredients include superfoods like turmeric, flaxseed and coconut oil
Made with delicious fresh fish from New England waters. Ingredients are never outsourced.
- A variety of fresh proteins
- Fruits and vegetables delivered fresh from Kentucky farms
- An 85% meat, 15% vegetable mix
A delicious grain free dog food formula made with salmon protein. Optimized for a healthy long life for your dog.
- Number one ingredient is real salmon
- Balanced nutrients
- Great for all life stages
This is a great salmon-flavored limited ingredient dog food, great for dogs with digestive issues. Protein comes from high-quality salmon.
- No gluten, wheat or fillers
- Flaxseed helps to nourish the skin
- Gives your dog energy and boosts their immunity
Poultry Flavored Dry Dog Food
Made with delicious free-range turkey, chicken and eggs. Nourishing vegetables, fruits and botanicals.
- Gluten free
- 60% meat, 40% vegetables, and botanicals
- Made with fresh, regional ingredients
This formula is made with all-natural and wholesome ingredients. It helps maintain your dog’s energy.
- Contains a precise balance of vitamin E and omega-6
- Veterinarian recommended
- No artificial colors, preservatives or flavors
Featuring delicious farm-raised chicken, brown rice and sweet potato, this dog food will have your pooch coming back for more. Chicken is the number one ingredient.
- Made with vitamin E and antioxidants to promote a healthy immune system
- Ingredients sourced from trusted farmers
- Created with non-GMO ingredients
This limited-ingredient dog food is a great choice for dogs with digestive issues. The number one ingredient is real chicken.
- No corn, soy or wheat in the formula
- Provides the amount of nutrition that your dog needs
- Formulated by in-house dog nutritionists
This yummy turkey and lentil dog food is formulated with the help of veterinarians. Has no grain, corn or wheat in it.
- Infused with flaxseed, salmon oil and antioxidants
- Real turkey is the number one ingredient
- Includes vegetables like lentils and peas
Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
This completely holistic dry dog food has a delicious vegetable flavor. It contains no meat, dairy, corn or wheat.
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Contains protein-rich plant-based ingredients
- Great food for dogs with food sensitivities
This formula is made with 100% vegetable proteins. It provides complete and balanced nutrition for your dog.
- Cholesterol and gluten-free
- Cruelty free, made with no animal ingredients
- Helps control weight, allergies and more
This vegetarian food provides energy from sources like potatoes, oatmeal, and brown rice. Immune support comes from green peas.
- 9 safety tests are done on every batch of food
- Features complex carbohydrates and protein
- Supports shiny coat and healthy skin
If you have a dog that needs a highly specialized diet, this is a great option to choose. It helps dogs with food allergies and other sensitivities.
- Highly digestible
- Has a single carbohydrate source
- Delicious taste for your dog
Promoting “plant-powered nutrition,” this vegetarian dog food features a great taste your dog will love. Human-grade ingredients are always used.
- No fillers, soy, wheat or corn
- Sustainably sourced ingredients
- Contains many superfoods