When you travel with your dog, you want him to be comfortable. Dogs are creatures of routine, so if your furry friend has a dog bed at home, you will want to bring one along on your trip. A full-size dog bed, of course, might not be very easy to travel with! If you want to take your dog camping, on vacation, or to visit family in a faraway city or state, you will want to bring along a travel bed. Some travel beds are made especially for the car, some are elevated, and some act as crate pads for a travel crate. (By the way, we’ve also reviewed crates for large dogs and for small dogs, so if you are in the market for one, please check out those lists!)
We have evaluated dozens of dog travel beds for our readers. We have considered features such as how comfortable they are, what situations they are best geared toward, and how Amazon users have rated them. We trust that this list will be helpful for anyone who is wanting their best four-legged pal to be comfortable on the road and at their vacation destination – and if you’re looking for other travel pet products to bring along on your trip, check out our review of travel water bottles for dogs, or our list of the best dog travel bowls. If you’re going on a long journey, you might want to consider purchasing a travel crate for your dog.
The Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed was the clear winner in our search. It offers comfort, durability, the ultimate in portability, and an easy-to-clean surface. This dog bed will keep Fido comfortable in the car, while camping, at your relative’s house, and even at home!
In This Article
- The 5 Top-Rated Travel Dog Beds for 2018
- Our Top Pick: Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed
- Our Runner-Up Pick: Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed
- Our Budget Pick: MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed
- Best Elevated Travel Dog Bed: HDP Elevated Napper Cot Space Saver Pet Bed
- Best Crate Pad: HeroDog Dog Bed Mat
- Who Should Buy a Travel Dog Bed
- Important Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Travel Dog Beds We Reviewed
The 5 Top-Rated Travel Dog Beds for 2018
|Best Overall||Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed||4.6|
|Runner Up||Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed||4.1|
|Best Elevated Bed||HDP Elevated Napper Cot Space Saver Pet Bed||4.7|
|Best Crate Pad||HeroDog Dog Bed Mat||4.6|
*Ratings are based on Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed
The Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed just might have it all when it comes to keeping your dog comfortable while not overloading your luggage. This large dog bed measures 30 x 39, making it suitable for small, medium, and large dogs. The bed itself is water-resistant, keeping your dog clean and dry even if the ground is damp. It even rolls up compactly and comes with its own nylon sack, making it easy for you to transport it wherever you may roam.
The material is breathable, so your dog won’t overheat. That also means that you can wash it and hang it from its attached loop to dry quickly. It can be used indoors or outdoors, and it’s comfortable enough to function as your dog’s regular bed in your home.
Chuckit! Travel Dog Bed Key Features:
- Soft poly-suede surface
- Rolls into a compact package
- Includes nylon bag
- Measures 30 x 39″
- Sewn-in loop for hanging
- Machine washable
Our Runner-Up Pick: Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed was our second choice. Your dog will be relaxing in pure comfort while on vacation thanks to a three-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam. For an older dog or one with joint pain, this bed will provide the support and cushioning needed no matter where you are.
Available in a variety of sizes, you can use this bed inside of a travel crate while flying or driving. The soft microsuede cover is machine washable and can even go in the dryer, so if you are vacationing at a campground or your dog gets a bit carsick, it’s no problem; just wash, dry, and put it back on the bed!
Brindle Soft Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed Key Features:
- Orthopedic shredded memory foam fill
- Available in several colors and sizes
- Portable, lightweight bed
- Compatible with crates (check sizing)
- Soft microsuede cover is machine washable and dryable
Our Budget Pick: MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed
The MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed is perfect for the pet owner who needs to travel with their dog and would like to do so without breaking the bank. The bed consists of a cushioned poly/cotton base with polyester-filled bolsters. It is pillow-soft and durable. You can put this bed in the washing machine and hang to dry.
The bed comes in several sizes and can be chosen to fit in your pet’s travel crate. It can also be easily folded for convenient travel. Lay it across the backseat or the cargo area of your vehicle for a soft place for your pet to be.
MidWest Deluxe Bolster Pet Bed Key Features:
- Poly/cotton blend
- Very soft and cushiony
- Machine washable
- Available in several sizes and colors
- Foldable for easy travel
Best Elevated Travel Dog Bed: HDP Elevated Napper Cot Space Saver Pet Bed
Convenient, elevated bed for camping and other trips
The HDP Elevated Napper Cot Space Saver Pet Bed is perfect for pups who like to join their families at the campground or other outdoor areas where the bed should be elevated to protect against moisture and insects. The bed easily folds for convenient transport and it is lightweight and a snap to store in your trunk or cargo area.
The heavy-duty polyester oxford fabric is water-resistant, so it will keep your pet from sleeping on a damp bed during times of high humidity. The frame is powder-coated and rust-resistant. Set up this bed indoors or outdoors; it is easier for older dogs or those with joint issues to get out of than a soft bed on the ground would be.
HDP Elevated Napper Cot Space Saver Pet Bed Key Features:
- Water-resistant, elevated bed protects from moisture
- Rust-resistant frame
- Use indoors or out
- Sleep surface is 27 x 27″
- Good for dogs up to 30 lbs
Best Crate Pad: HeroDog Dog Bed Mat
If you are looking for a crate pad that will provide orthopedic support, you will want to check out the HeroDog Dog Bed Mat. The mat slides easily into your dog’s travel crate and is slip-resistant, so it won’t slide around. The cover is made from durable, plush fleece that will stand up to normal use. The cotton batting is over an inch thick and will provide support for your dog.
The crate pad comes in several different sizes to work with most crates. It is also good for hard floors: If you are traveling to a place that doesn’t have the soft carpeting your dog is accustomed to, this will provide the comfort she needs. You can also use the mat on the backseat of the car to prevent slipping and to contain any dog hair. The bed is machine-washable and should be hung to dry.
HeroDog Dog Bed Mat Key Features:
- Available in several sizes to fit most crates
- Fleece cover
- Cotton filling
Who Should Buy a Travel Dog Bed
If you travel and you have a dog, then you should consider purchasing a travel dog bed! There are several reasons why this would be a good decision. First, your dog will be comfortable wherever you go. It is best if you let your dog use the travel bed a few times prior to your trip (assuming you don’t use it as a permanent bed all the time). This way, his scent will get on it and he will feel secure even in an unfamiliar environment.
A travel dog bed gives your pet a place to be whether you’re in the car, in an RV, in an airplane, camping, in a hotel, or visiting a friend. Some of these beds function as crate pads to make the crate a more inviting and comfortable place for your dog. Having a designated place to be can ease your dog’s stress associated with being away from home.
Important Features to Consider
A travel dog bed should include a few important features. Here’s what to consider when purchasing a bed for your traveling pooch.
- Durability. You will want the travel bed to hold up to whatever challenges your dog throws at it. If your dog is large and heavy, for example, you will want to be sure that the bed is thick and supportive enough to not get squashed to the ground when your dog is on it. Also, if your dog tends to chew on his bed, it is important to choose one with a strong, durable outer material.
- Washability. If you can’t wash your new dog bed, it will rapidly take on an unpleasant smell. Between doggie odor and accidents that might happen while on vacation, you will want to be sure that the bed can either be hosed off or go in the washing machine.
- Size. Your dog bed should be big enough for your dog to fully recline on. Of course, some dogs tend to curl up in a little ball when they sleep; if your dog does this, then a smaller bed might be fine. Dogs that spread out should have a larger bed to accommodate them comfortably. Also, check to be sure that the bed will fit in your dog’s crate if that is how you intend to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog travel bed?
A dog travel bed is a bed that your dog will sleep, lay, or sit on while traveling. There are several different types, including cooling beds, orthopedic beds, elevated beds, beds that function as crate pads, and beds made specifically for the car. A dog travel bed gives your furry friend a place to call home while you are away from home. It can reduce stress and anxiety when your pet is in an unfamiliar location.
How does a cooling dog bed work?
Some dog beds are filled with a polymer gel that absorbs the dog’s body heat and keeps them cooler. In fact, these beds can make your dog feel like the air temperature is 10 to 15 degrees cooler than it actually is. They tend to work for several hours at a time. If you will be traveling to a place that is warmer than your dog is used to or if he gets hot easily, consider purchasing a cooling travel dog bed.
What is an orthopedic travel dog bed?
An orthopedic travel dog bed is usually made of memory foam or a similarly supportive material. It will help minimize the jostles and bumps that your dog feels while in the car or airplane. It will also help support her joints. If your dog has hip dysplasia, joint issue, or arthritis or tends to be stiff after sleeping, consider purchasing an orthopedic travel dog bed to keep her comfortable and well-supported during your travel.
How do I know what size travel bed my dog needs?
Most of the dog travel beds sold will include guidance on how large of a dog they will accommodate. Use this is a general guide. Keep in mind how your dog sleeps: A large dog that curls up in a tight ball while sleeping might need less space than a medium-sized dog who sprawls out. You will also want to know the dimensions of your travel crate so the dog bed will fit in the crate without getting wrinkled or crumpled. If you are purchasing a dog bed to fit on the backseat of your car, know how wide the seat is so the bed doesn’t hang off the edge more than an inch or two.
Other Travel Dog Beds We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other travel dog beds. While these didn’t make our top 5 list, they are still excellent choices for your pet. The information you’ll need to compare each one is in the listing.
Elevated Travel Dog Beds
Made out of a breathable mesh fabric, this elevated bed keeps your dog cool by allowing air to flow both over and under him. It is portable and easy to clean, making it a great choice for travel.
- Elevated 7 inches off the ground
- Comes in various sizes
- Simple assembly, includes screws and tool
This elevated dog bed provides a place for your dog to feel safe, secure, and protected. The shade canopy keeps her cool on warm days and its light weight and portability are convenient for you.
- Made from 1680D oxford fabric with mesh
- Steel frame for lightweight durability
- Easy to transport and assemble
Keep your dog off of the dirty, uncomfortable ground with this elevated pet cot. It holds up to 100 lbs and is appropriate for both indoor and outdoor use. Folds up for transport.
- U-shaped legs to distribute weight
- Includes heavy-duty storage bag
- Wipes clean easily
Featuring waterproof fabric and a mesh center, this elevated travel dog bed keeps your best furry pal cool and dry. Assembles without tools in just minutes, allowing for easy travel and maximum portability.
- Durable, tested for strength
- Non-skid rubber feet
- Includes a 1-year warranty
This sturdy elevated travel bed can hold up to 120 lbs, ensuring that even large dogs have a comfy place to lounge while on vacation. Includes a handy carry bag for ease of travel.
- Includes a canopy for shade
- Constructed with 1680D Oxford fabric
- Lightweight steel frame
Travel Dog Beds for the Car
This travel car bed keeps your dog restrained and elevated for maximum safety and comfort in the car. It folds down flat for storage and includes a carry bag.
- Can hold dogs up to 300 lbs
- Includes a security leash, two seat belt loops, and a sling
- Can also be used as a bed at home
To keep your car and your dog safe while driving, consider this seat cover. It is soft and comfortable for your pet and is non-slip to prevent him from sliding around on the seat.
- Prevents damage to the car’s upholstery
- Installs quickly
- Waterproof and easy to clean
Keep Rover safe and happy with a soft pet bed for the car that includes a clasp to attach to his harness. Machine washable and dryable and will fit in the front or back seat.
- Three-inch removable foam cushion for comfort
- Includes safety clasp
- Available in small and large sizes.
For more small dog bed options, check out our review of The Best Dog Beds for Small Dogs.
Made from soft, luxurious micro-suede and faux sheepskin, this pet bed will promote sleeping and relaxation during car rides. Straps keep the Cuddler in place. Appropriate for pets up to 30 lbs.
- Easy to clean in the washing machine (line dry)
- Oversized polyester fill for soft comfort
- Protects the car’s interior from pet hair and messes
Keep your best four-legged friend safe with this rear-facing crash-tested dog car seat. The soft seat is both durable and comfortable, and it works with your vehicles SRS and seatbelt for maximum safety.
- The only crash-tested dog car seat on the market
- Works with seatbelt
- Made of soft nylon and poly-fill for comfort
Travel Crate Pads
This easy-to-fold dog kennel pad is slip-resistant and durable, making it a great option to use in your dog’s travel crate. Low maintenance, machine washable, and easy to store.
- Anti-slip bottom prevents moving and shifting
- Machine washable
- Foldable for easy storage
If you don’t already have a travel dog crate, this crate does double-duty, creating a soft bed while also giving your dog a home away from home. Available in several sizes to fit your pet.
- Frame is constructed of strong, lightweight steel
- Bed is made of fleece for extra softness
- Well-ventilated with mesh sides
This is a 1.5″ thick inner foam mattress that self-inflates for ease of use during travel. Simply inflate and lay it in your dog’s travel crate. The fleece top is ultra-comfortable.
- Available in several sizes to match your crate
- Machine-washable and puncture-resistant
- Built-in nylon buckle straps for easy transport and storage
This adorable bed mat comes in several different colors and is great for small dogs. The fleece bed is padded with cotton and will keep your dog comfortable in the crate. Lightweight and easy to transport.
- Available in three cute patterns
- Machine washable and dryable
- One-year warranty
If your dog needs orthopedic support, this one lives up to the Simmons name with a memory foam mattress topper and a plush foam pad. It is available in different sizes for small, medium, and large dogs.
- Removable, zippered cover
- Machine washable
- Memory foam for great joint support
Other Dog Beds
This soft padded travel bed is perfect for either indoor or outdoor use. It is waterproof, non-skid, and durable. The bed rolls up for travel and is easy to fasten with sewn-in handle and straps.
- Made of ripstop nylon for durability
- Polyester fill
- Can be washed in the machine
If you have a large dog, this oversized travel bed is an excellent choice. Made of waterproof material, this bed is easy to clean and will keep your dog dry even on the damp ground.
- Large enough to accommodate a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and similarly sized breeds
- Mat rolls up and stores in the included storage bag
- Sturdy material is waterproof and resists stains and hair
This cute dog travel bed has an adorable reversible paw print pattern. It’s available in several different sizes to accommodate your dog and can fit in a travel crate.
- Ultra-soft synthetic cover
- Machine washable
- Includes 1-year warranty
This travel dog bed rolls up for easy traveling. It is made of memory foam, faux fur, and canvas for durability, softness, and ease of maintenance.
- Hand wash and air dry only
- Includes carrying handle and hook-and-loop fasteners
- Open size is 24 x 37 inches, good for small to large dogs
If you want to take your dog camping, you will need an insulated, durable dog bed that compresses easily and is lightweight. This portable bed fits the bill and will keep your best furry friend warm and comfy!
- Lightweight synthetic insulation for warmth
- When packed, measures 12 x 4″
- Water-resistant and quick-drying