A healthy diet and good grooming habits can keep your dog’s skin and coat looking good. In many cases, however, pet owners prefer to give their dog a skin and coat supplement that will make their skin more supple, cut down on shedding, and help relieve allergies that cause itching and fur loss.
We have reviewed dozens of dog skin and coat supplements in an effort to bring you the best of the best. We took a look at the different ways the supplements can be given (for example, as a powder or as a chewable tablet), the cost value, the ingredients included, and what dog owners had to say about each one.
Our top choice was the Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs. These tasty soft chews will help your dog look and feel his best. They’re derived from pure, MSC-certified sustainable wild Alaskan Pollock, and they contain high levels of EPA and DHG.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
|Best Overall||Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs||4.5|
|Runner Up||Vita Pet Life Omega 3-6-9 Skin & Coat Dog Supplement||4.6|
|Best Budget Buy||ProSense Skin and Coat Solutions||4.5|
|Best Liquid Supplement||Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil||4.7|
|Best Powder Supplement||The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs
The Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs is our number one pick. They are specially formulated to support the skin and coat, and because they come in a delicious chicken flavor, your dog is sure to find them irresistible. They contain high levels of EPA and DHA, which are essential omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega Bites are derived from wild Alaskan pollock. They also contain liquid fish oil, which softens your dog’s skin and fur. Vitamin E, Vitamin C, and Biotin help keep your dog’s skin free from itching and irritation. This supplement is suitable for puppies, adult dogs, and senior dogs. In addition to supporting the skin and coat, the formula features ingredients that will improve heart and immune system function and lubricate the hips and joints for more flexibility.
Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs Key Features:
- Contain EPA, DHA, fish oil, and many other vitamins
- Prevent itching, shedding, and irritation
- Contains 90 bacon-flavored soft chews
- Provides joint, heart, and immune support
- Helps prevent joint stiffness
Our Runner Up Pick: Vita Pet Life Omega 3-6-9 Skin & Coat Dog Supplement
Vita Pet Life Omega 3-6-9 Skin & Coat Dog Supplement are a bacon and liver flavored chewable tablets that are formulated to boost your dog’s skin and coat health. Specifically, they help to treat a range of skin and coat conditions that could be irritating your dog, such as itchiness and flakiness.
In addition, these hypoallergenic supplements will promote your dog’s heart and immune system health. All of these health benefits are possible thanks to the tablets’ powerful combination of Vitamin E, borage oil, salmon fish oil, and flaxseed oil. It’s worth noting that this product, like all of Vita Pet Life’s products, is made in the USA in FDA-registered facilities that are NSF and GMP-certified.
Vita Pet Life Omega 3-6-9 Skin & Coat Dog Supplement Key Features:
- Includes 120 bite-sized chewable tablets
- Bacon and liver flavored
- Promote healthy skin and coat
- Borage oil, salmon fish oil, and flaxseed oil.
- Vitamin E
Best Budget Pick: ProSense Skin and Coat Solutions
ProSense Skin and Coat Solutions is a daily supplement that contains brewer’s yeast, which works to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy. They also provide omega-3 fatty acids and B-complex vitamins. These work together to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
These are a good value, containing 250 chewable tablets for a low price, so they will last a long time. Dogs usually like the flavor, so your pet will think that it’s a treat every day.
ProSense Skin and Coat Solutions Key Features:
- Contains brewer’s yeast
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids
- B-complex vitamins
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Includes 250 tablets
Best Liquid Supplement: Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is our top pick for those looking for a liquid supplement for their dog’s dull coat or itching skin. If your dog is itching and scratching due to dry skin or allergies, the essential fatty acids in this fish oil will keep his skin more supple and resistant to damage.
The omega-3 acids will also help promote hip and joint health. That means that if your dog has stiff, sore joints or suffers from arthritis or hip dysplasia, you may see an improvement and your pet may feel better and less stiff and sore. This product couldn’t be easier to give your pooch, either. All you need to do is stir it into their regular meals or add it as a topping. The handy pump makes the whole process completely mess and trouble free.
Zesty Paws Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil Key Features:
- Made from pure wild Alaskan salmon oil
- Contains fatty acids for healthier skin and fur
- Promotes hip and joint health
- Made in an FDA-registered and GMP-certified facility in the USA
- Handy pump
Best Powder Supplement: The Missing Link – Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement
The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement has been formulated with the omega-3 and -6 fatty acids that are vital for a healthy skin and coat. It provides enzymes, beneficial bacteria, dietary fiber, vitamins, trace minerals, and phytochemicals to improve your dog’s total health. If your dog has bald spots from itching or dry skin, it will help regrow the hair.
This powder can be mixed into dry or wet food and is made from human-grade whole foods and food concentrates. Dogs love the taste, so it will make mealtime even better for your pet.
The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement Key Features:
- Powder formula
- Contains omega-3 and -6 fatty acids
- Regrows bald spots
- Helps with itching and dry skin
- Highly palatable, can be mixed into food
Who Should Buy a Dog Skin and Coat Supplement
People who have a dog with dry skin or a dry, dull coat should consider dog skin and coat supplements. Dry skin and coat problems can be caused by a wide variety of factors, including cold weather, environmental allergens, allergy to certain foods, sensitive skin, and irritations from insects, smoke, or contact with certain plants. In addition, some breeds are prone to skin and coat problems.
Individuals who show their dogs or compete in agility trials and other sports might also want to give their dog skin and coat supplements. Many of these supplements contain ingredients that also help with joint inflammation and endurance, so these dogs will not only benefit from more supple skin and nicer coats but also from less joint stiffness. If you are looking for joint supplements, check out our top 25 list.
Important Features to Consider
There are certain features that dog and coat supplements should have. Here’s what you should consider when selecting supplements for your dog.
- Forms available. Different pets do well with liquid, powder, or chewable supplements. Think about whether you would prefer to give your dog a chewable tablet or sprinkle a powder or liquid into their food. If your pet is picky, you might even prefer a softgel or pill that you can hide in a piece of cheese.
- Ingredients. Supplements for a dog’s skin and coat can have a variety of ingredients. Many contain fish oil or another source of fatty acids. Some contain brewer’s yeast or seaweed. If your dog has an allergy to any ingredients, you will want to be sure that they are not included.
- Compatibility with other supplements. If your dog is already taking supplements or medications, check with your veterinarian to be sure that the skin and coat supplements you choose are able to be taken with the original medication or vitamins.
- Organic, made in the USA and other factors. Think about whether it is important to you that your dog’s supplement is vegan, organic, made in the USA, or has other features that mean a lot to you personally.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog skin and coat supplement and how does it benefit my dog?
A dog skin and coat supplement is made up of one or more of several ingredients known to make fur thicker, smooth and soften the coat, and make the skin more supple and less itchy. These ingredients might include fish oil, coconut oil, seaweed, and brewer’s yeast. If your dog suffers from allergies or itching, a skin and coat supplement will bring him welcome relief. It can also reduce shedding and even clear up bald spots caused by scratching and allergies.
How long does it take for skin and coat supplements to work?
It depends on the type of skin and coat supplement. Some will begin to work in just a few weeks, while other will take three months of consistent use to show results. Supplements are not like medications; they need to build up in your dog’s body and heal him from the inside out. It’s a good idea to give any supplement at least three months to see if it is resulting in improvements before discontinuing it or switching to something different.
Can I use skin and coat supplements with other medications if my pet has health problems?
Many supplements can be given with other medications and to pets who have health problems. Others, however, cannot. If your dog has any health problems or if he is taking medications or other supplements, always check with your veterinarian before adding anything to his regimen.
Are there any side effects from skin and coat supplements?
In general, skin and coat supplements are well-tolerated. Depending on the type of supplement, however, side effects can include allergic reactions, itching, lack of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, increased thirst, and other mild, moderate, and serious reactions. Always check with your veterinarian before giving any supplements. If you are giving your dog supplements and notice any strange behavior or side effects, discontinue them until you can talk to or see your veterinarian.
Other Dog and Coat Supplements We Reviewed
In addition to our top 5, we also looked at dozens of other dog and coat supplements. Here are 20 of the best of the rest. All of these would be a great option for anyone who wanted their dog to have healthier skin and a smoother, shinier coat. All of the information you need to compare each supplement is included with the listing.
- Chewable Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
- Liquid Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
- Organic Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
- Powdered Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
Chewable Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
These grain-free chewable treats boost the immune system and provide vitamins, protein, fiber and antioxidants to help your dog have a healthy response to allergies, resulting in healthier skin and a smoother coat.
- Enhanced with EpiCor
- Features a five-strain probiotic complex
- Includes wild Alaskan salmon oil for Omega 3 fatty acids
If your dog begs for bacon, he will love these supplements! The bacon-flavored tablets promote a shiny coat, and as added benefits, they also help improve bone, joint, and brain health.
- Includes 120 tablets
- Made in the USA
- Third-party tested for purity and safety
Relieve your dog’s dry skin, hot spots, allergies, and excessive shedding with this natural blend of fish oil, omega fatty acids, minerals and vitamins. Bacon-flavored tablets make them taste like treats.
- Contains 60 tablets
- Protection against bacterial and fungal infections
- Reduces inflammatory reactions
These wheat-free soft chews include salmon oil to help maintain normal moisture in the skin and omega fatty acids to support a healthy skin and glossy coat.
- Excellent source of DHA and EPA
- Veterinarian formulated
- Manufactured in the USA
If your dog has dry, itchy skin or fur that breaks and sheds excessively, these omega 3 and 6 supplements can repair skin and strengthen fur. Also great for dogs with allergies and inflammation.
- 120 chews per pouch
- Bacon-flavored formula
- 100% money back guarantee
This is a natural, holistic, grain-free supplement that contains salmon oil and flaxseed, both of which are essential for skin and coat health. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Contains antioxidants and superfoods
- 120 chews
- Natural, holistic, and grain free
These National Animal Supplement Council-approved supplements are veterinarian formulated and designed for relief for itching and excessive shedding.
- Contains 50 chewable tablets
- Ingredients include MSM, yellow dock root, quercetin, and omega fatty acids
- Made in the USA
These soft chews are an approved antioxidant blend of omega 3, 6, and 9. They also include salmon oil, organic turmeric, sunflower oil, and primrose for skin and coat support.
- Sourced from salmon oil
- Anti-inflammatory and joint health benefits
- Boosts immune system
This five-in-one formula not only supports the skin and coat but also the joints, heart, digestive function, and immune response. Appropriate for dogs of all ages, breeds, and sizes.
- Contains cod liver fish oil and biotin to nourish dry skin
- Anti-itch formula
- Provides hip and joint support as well as digestive enzymes
Liquid Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
In this generously-sized 32-ounce bottle, you’ll find essential omega 3 fatty acids from salmon oil extracted from wild salmon caught off the coast of Alaska. Use it, and your dog can say goodbye to itchiness, flaking, and shedding, and hello to a gorgeously shiny and soft coat.
- All natural formula
- Made in the USA
- 32-ounce bottle
Is your dog suffering from dandruff, excessive shedding, dry fur, itchiness or hot spots? This tasty salmon oil will help make skin supple and prevent coat-related maladies.
- In a BPA-free bottle with squirt pump
- Tastes like a delicious treat
- Anti-inflammatory formula for hip and joint health
Hot spots, itching, and dry skin don’t stand a chance against this liquid supplement. Made from wild Alaskan salmon and wild Alaskan pollock, this formula supports a healthy skin and coat.
- Sourced from wild Alaskan fish
- Contains DHA and EPA
- Contains fatty acids for skin health
This safe, all-natural oil is sourced from fish that are caught exclusively from the clean, ice-cold waters of Iceland, using sustainable and responsible fishing methods. No fillers or binders.
- 800 mg EPA and 525 DHA per serving
- Human-grade fish oil for safety
- Veterinarian-recommended for healthy skin and fur
Organic Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
If your dog has seasonal allergies, this mushroom-based supplement will have a beneficial effect on his white blood cells, supporting a healthy skin and coat.
- All natural, grain-free, gluten-free
- Certified by NASC and USDA Organic
- Made in the USA
This organic mushroom supplement improves the circulation to the skin and coat, resulting in reduced shedding and added luster and shine. Helps with allergies and itching, too.
- Balances an overactive immune system
- Certified organic
- Contains biotin and methionine
This 100% certified organic coconut oil can be either given to your dog as an internal supplement or used on itchy, irritated skin. It will reduce shedding and relieve itching, dry skin, and dandruff.
- Certified organic
- Can be used as a topical lotion
- Internal use supports brain and digestive health
Only organic, pure ingredients are included in this formula. It is derived from kelp, which contains iodine, iron, and amino acids for increased skin and coat health.
- Helps itchy skin and excessive shedding
- Contains flaxseed and kelp
- Includes fatty acids, antioxidants, and minerals
Powdered Dog Skin and Coat Supplements
This supplement powder aids in the production and maintenance of a healthy skin and coat. It provides antioxidants to protect your dog against pollutants and allergens.
- Mixes well with dog food
- Helps maintain proper skin moisture and respiratory health
- Veterinarian formulated
In addition to containing omegas for a healthy, shiny coat and supple skin, this supplement also includes vitamins, minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin to provide joint support and overall health.
- Veterinarian formulated
- Mixes easily with food and tastes great
- 100% money back guarantee
Seaweed and flaxseed provide vitamins and omega fatty acids, which help maintain a healthy skin and coat. A great source of iodine and digestive enzymes, this supplement also promotes digestive and immune system health.
- Provides support for skin and coat, digestive, and immune system
- Natural source of B vitamins, zinc, iron, and more
- Three month supply for a medium-sized dog