When it comes to our best furry friend, one aspect to focus on is their nails when it comes to grooming. After a while, they can grow to be very long if we do not grind them down. Extremely long nails can also be painful for a pooch. It is important to find a dog nail grinder that works well for you, can give you the results that you are looking for, and not be completely scary to your dog. There are quite a variety of different nail grinders on the market today. There are some made for big and small dogs, ones with multiple speeds, wireless, and even rechargeable nail grinders.
Grinding your dog’s nails is also a great alternative to clipping them, as it can be much less stressful on both of you. Clipping nails comes with the inevitable “quicking” or when you make their toenails bleed. Grinding can be safer way of shortening those nails without dreading the quick. We reviewed dozens of dog nail grinders to identify the best of the best. We looked at various features including efficiency, noise level, ease of use and more.
When looking at various nail grinders, the Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder as the best overall. With a high star rating, it is being used by many pet parents on their beloved pups. This grinder has lots of power, but it’s still gentle on your dog’s nails.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Nail Grinders
|Best Overall||Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder||4.6|
|Runner Up||Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder||4.2|
|Best Budget Buy||FURminator Nail Grinder||5.0|
|Best Quiet Nail Grinder||ConairPRO Professional Dog Nail Grinder||5.0|
|Best 2-Speed Nail Grinder||Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder||3.7|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder
The Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder is a wonderful nail grinder to use on your furbaby. It is packed to the brim with amazing features. It has two speeds (7,000/12,000 RPM) which allows you to choose the right velocity for grinding down their nails, slower for more detailed work or faster for a quicker job.
The rechargeable device is quiet, which makes the whole process much less stressful for your dog. There is little doubt that this nail grinder has great power behind it. This grooming tool is great for dogs of all sizes. It is not a heavy tool and can travel wherever you and your dog may go. Nail grinding will take mere minutes with this great tool.
Andis 2-Speed Pet Nail Grinder Key Features:
- Packed with power
- Uses 2 speeds
- Works great for dogs of all sizes
- Includes a large sanding drum attachment with 3 sanding wheels and a small sanding drum attachment with 2 sanding wheels
Our Runner Up Pick: Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder
The Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder is made with a diamond bit grinder, a very safe and effective way to trim your pet’s nails. Since not every dog is the same exact size, there are three size ports for various openings. The first and second ports are perfectly designed to trim nails on small and medium-sized dogs. If you have a large-sized dog, the entire cover may be removed to expose the whole grinding bit to trim their larger-sized nails.
If you plan on traveling with your dog, this makes a great portable nail grinder to bring with you, so that you can trim their nails quickly and easily. The nail grinder contains a super mute motor, making it a very quiet and efficient way to trim your dog’s nails, especially if your dog does not particularly like loud noises, allowing them to be calm during the process itself.
You do not have to worry about draining batteries or plugging into an outlet in your home, as this nail grinder is rechargeable via USB. When it comes time to clean the nail grinder, it is made easy by removing the piece over the stone to clean up. It is lightweight and extremely easy to use.
Hertzko Electric Pet Nail Grinder Key Features:
- Quiet operation
- Can be used on all size dogs
- Great for travel
Best Budget Pick: FURminator Nail Grinder
The super-lightweight FURminator Nail Grinder is actually a two-speed cordless tool. It is a total grooming tool for your dog. This nail grinder includes two replaceable grinding bands and it is great for small and large dogs alike. There is no need to be nervous when using this nail grinder, as it easily grinds down nails, but will not cut into the quick of your dog’s toenail.
This trimmer is another very quiet one, so it will not upset any nervous dogs. It is very light, making it easy to store in your suitcase when it comes to hitting the road with your pup. It uses four AA batteries that are included, so there is no need to worry about finding an electrical outlet. Many happy customers laud the fact that this nail grinder is so quiet that it did not even bother even the most skittish of dogs. Your dogs will feel totally relaxed around this nail grinder.
FURminator Nail Grinder Key Features:
- For use on dogs of all sizes
Best Quiet Dog Nail Grinder: ConairPRO Professional Dog Nail Grinder
At less than fifty decibels, the ConairPRO Professional Dog Nail Grinder is one of the quietest dog nail grinders on the market. According to the manufacturer, this sound frequency is equal to about a gentle breeze or a refrigerator running normally. It is so quiet, that the sound is hard to pick up. This makes the nail grinding process an easy and quick job.
This nail grinder can easily be plugged into a wall outlet. With its powerful motor, a single nail can be trimmed for about five seconds to achieve your desired result.
Cleaning this nail grinder is easy, as all you have to do is remove the protective cover. After that, all you need to do is wipe away the nail dust and any dirt with a tissue or soft cloth. This nail grinder is the perfect solution for dogs that are afraid of loud noises.
KeShi Dog Nail Grinder Key Features:
- Rechargeable via outlet plug
- Powerful and lightweight
- Easy to clean
- Protective adjustable cover
Best Two-Speed Dog Nail Grinder: Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder
The Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder is a great choice of a nail grinder for your dog of any breed, with both high and low speeds. The grinder comes with everything that you need to trim your pet’s nails, including two coarse bands, a coarse stone, and a fine band for precise nail trimming. It boasts a great adjustable safety guard. This is to ensure that you do not trim the nail down too far, as well as to trap any filings that come as a result of trimming your dog’s nails.
This is a cordless, battery-operated nail grinding tool. The grinder runs using four AA batteries. That makes it perfect for use in any room in your home. The nail grinder is of professional-groomer grade. With an easy-to-hold handle, you won’t have to juggle your pet’s paw and the grinder at the same time. It is very quiet, with its rotary motor being just a little louder than a gentle whisper, leaving you both with a stressless experience, time and time again. Your pup will have nothing to fear when you use this nail grinder, and with its two speeds, it can be used on the littlest dog, up to the biggest dog you know.
Oster Gentle Paws Less Stress Nail Grinder Key Features:
- Easy to use
- Adjustable safety guard
- Works on all breeds
- Professional grade
Who Should Buy A Dog Nail Grinder
Grooming your pooch can get pretty expensive, and making a veterinarian’s appointment just to have your dog’s nails clipped takes up time that can be spent playing fetch. With a nail grinder, you can easily and quickly do the job at home without spending a ton of money. Plus, your dog will not have to go through the anxiety of sitting in an office, waiting to get their nails clipped. A nail grinder makes the whole process much easier and can be done from the comfort of your own home. Be sure to check out our review of the best dog nail clippers, too.
Many dog nail grinders are of professional grooming quality and can do a great job at trimming nails. If you have a dog that is a bit skittish, there is nothing to worry about. Nail grinders are pretty quiet, so much so that your dog may not even realize that they are getting their nails trimmed. They are a gentle and easy way to take care of your dog’s long nails without having the hassle of trimming them with regular nail clippers. Unlike nail clippers, grinders are typically equipped with a safety guard in place, allowing you to trim the nails down without hitting the “quick,” which is a soft nerve and blood supply in your dog’s paws. Trimming your pet’s nails should be a stress-free experience for both of you.
Important Features to Consider
When shopping for a dog nail grinder, it should be easy to use, have a decent amount of power behind it, and trim your dog’s nails effectively. Here is what to consider when selecting dog nail clippers for your dog:
- Safety. Above all, we want our pets to be safe. The same principle applies when it comes to grooming them. When looking for a dog nail grinder, you should consider one that has a safety guard on it. A safety guard makes certain that you do not cut their nails too short to the point where they are painful or they bleed. With a safety guard in place, you are able to see exactly how far down you are grinding your dog’s nails. Oftentimes, they can also catch the clippings from the dog’s nails, saving you from having to sweep them up later on.
- Noise Level. This is most definitely a point to consider when purchasing a nail grinder for your dog. For many dogs, clipping/trimming their nails may have been a bad experience for them in the past, or they are just skittish around loud noises. Plenty of dog nail grinders on the market are very quiet, with some under fifty decibels, which is almost imperceptible to the human ear. By choosing a dog nail grinder with a low noise level, you and your dog will both have a stress-free experience when it comes to trimming their nails.
- Ease Of Use. A good dog nail grinder should be easy to use. It should not be bulky or too large. You should be able to hold it in your hand with ease, and not feel like you are fumbling either the paw or the machine at the same time.\
- Power Source. This is more of a preference, but it is an important feature to consider when choosing a dog nail grinder. If you do not plan on traveling with your dog, a corded grinder that would stay at home could do the job just fine. If you plan on going on longer trips, you may want to consider a rechargeable or battery-operated nail grinder instead. Many can be small enough to fit in your suitcase, so that you may easily take it with you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are dog nail grinders and how do they work?
Are nail grinders safe for dogs?
Are dog nail grinders better than clippers?
How often should you grind your dog's nails?
Other Products We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog nail grinders. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog nail grinders, they are the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Rechargeable Nail Grinders
Designed with a diamond bit, this nail grinder is powerful and easy to use. It is rechargeable and has three port sizes and two speeds.
- Charged via USB, once fully charged, can last for fifteen hours
- Sturdy grinder, no need to replace different bits
- Can be used on dogs of all sizes
This nail grinder features a mute motor with low vibrations, so as not to upset your dog. It lasts over five hours on one single charge.
- Easy to use diamond bit grinder
- Maximum noise is only 60 decibels
- Works over five hours on a single charge
This grinder boasts a precision motor with a low vibration design, with the noise level being forty decibels max. It includes a USB wire for convenient recharging.
- Easy to clean
- Has three ports and two speeds
- Can be charged anywhere USB ports are found
Great for small and medium dogs, this nail grinder has a diamond bit for easy trimming. It can be used for five hours after a two-hour charge.
- Low noise and vibration, less than sixty decibels
- Powerful motor for quick clips
- Charging indicator
The diamond bit grinder removes thin layers of your pet’s nails in a short amount of time. With a motor with a unique mute technology, at only sixty decibels, it’s ultra quiet to avoid stressing your pup.
- Provides three hours of continuous work after being charged
- Unique anti-slip design
- Comes with micro USB charging wire
Cordless Nail Grinders
This grinder is great for use on dogs of all sizes. It is powered by two AAA batteries.
- Fast speed at 7500 revolutions per minute
- Quiet motor
- Low vibration
This nail grinder features a diamond bit, making it a sturdy and durable. It charges in only an hour-and-a-half and works for 8 hours.
- Super mute motor
- LCD display
- Suitable for all dog sizes
This nail grinder is great for small breeds and is compact and portable. It has a quiet motor while spinning at 10,000 revolutions per minute for fast nail grinding jobs.
- Includes six sanding bands
- The ergonomic design makes it easy to hold
- Operates at fifty decibels
The grinder boasts a long battery life, at an eighteen-hour run time. It is rechargeable via USB.
- Diamond-bit head
- Lightweight and quiet
- Can be used on all sizes of dogs
You can precisely trim your pet’s nails with this grinder. It has a protective cap, allowing you to trim your dog’s nails to the appropriate length.
- Quiet operation
- Battery operated
- Can be used on dogs of any size
Small Dog Nail Grinders
This is perfect for dogs of any size and features a quiet motor. It has two speed options, from low to high.
- Low vibrations
- 6-hour usage time
Featuring a whisper-quiet motor and a precision diamond bit grinder, this makes a great nail grinder. It is recommended by veterinarians and pet grooming professionals.
- Portable and rechargeable
- Supports heavy grinding for larger dogs
- Three grinding ports
This easy-to-clean nail grinder features two speeds. It has three size ports.
- Super mute motor
- Noise is less than fifty decibels
- Charges by USB
Charging via USB, this grinder will last for years and years. It features a lightweight and unique design.
- Two speeds
- Quiet motor
Featuring a powerful lithium-ion battery, this grinder has a one-hour charge time and a six-hour run time. It is designed with low vibration.
- Process of operation within sixty decibels
- Powerful motor
Nail Grinders for Large Dogs
This particular grinder grinds super smooth with its powerful motor. It has a diamond bit grinder with two speeds.
- Operates below fifty decibels
- Three ports
- Rechargeable via USB
This nail grinder features a plastic cover that collects the nail shavings as you trim your dog’s nails. With 1.5 watts of power, it is a powerful grinder.
- Super mute motor, sound at around fifty decibels
- Rechargeable via USB
- Diamond bit grinder
This grinder has a unique ergonomic design for easy grinding. It will work on all breeds of dogs.
- Quick and easy grinding
- Low noise
This grinder features a mute motor with copper wire. It effectively trims your dog’s nails at 7,500 revolutions per minute.
- Silent vibration with low noise
- Rechargeable via USB
- Easy to clean
This dog nail grinder is of professional grade. After charging, it will run for approximately three hours.
- Very quiet, almost silent motor
- USB rechargeable
- Cover can be removed to trim large nails