If your dog has limited mobility due to old age or an injury , there are many products that can help them get around more easily. Dog lift harnesses are designed to provide support to your dog in their daily life and make activities such as coming down the stairs, hoping into a car or simply going for a walk easier and pain-free. A dog lift harness is essentially a sling that wraps around a dog’s body. It also contains a handle that is used to take off some weight of your dog’s hips or legs. There are different types of lift harnesses, and while some are designed to support a dog via their abdomen, others are made to support the entire body or just the rear legs.
We looked over dozens of dog harnesses aiming to find the highest quality products suitable for any budget, having in mind the materials, size, design, Amazon ratings, and other factors you may take into consideration when deciding on the right lift harness for your pet. We picked out 5 of the best-rated lift harnesses you can get for your four-legged friend. If you want to ensure extra safety and control for your pet when going out for walks, take a look at our list of the best retractable dog leashes.
After careful consideration, we’ve identified PetSafe Solvit CareLift Full-Body Lifting Harness as a top choice. The harness is designed to lift abdomen and legs together so the pressure is distributed evenly instead of being concentrated on one area. It’s available in 3 sizes and it comes with a specially-shaped protection panel for males that can be removed for females.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Lift Harnesses
|Best Overall||PetSafe Solvit CareLift Full-Body Lifting Harness||3.6|
|Runner Up||GingerLead Dog Support & Rehabilitation Harness||4.2|
|Best Budget Buy||Lepark Dog Sling with Handle for Canine Aid||4.2|
|Best Dog Rear Lift Harness||Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness||4|
|Best Dog Sling Harness||AMZpets Dog Lift Harness Support Sling||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetSafe Solvit CareLift Full-Body Lifting Harness
PetSafe Solvit CareLift Full-Body Lifting Harness provides old or recovering dogs with the care and comfort they need to function normally. It assists your dog with their daily activities, such as climbing stairs, hoping onto the furniture, taking bathroom breaks, entering a car or simply going outside for a walk. This harness is a versatile product that can be used for front-only, rear-only, and full-body support, depending on your dog’s needs. Front and rear sections can be used independently or combined. It’s important to note that when front and rear sections are used together, the harness will stay on by itself, but if they are used independently, they will only stay on with the owner’s assistance.
PetSafe Solvit harness is designed to lift hips and abdomen together so that the pressure isn’t concentrated only on one area. It comes with a specially-shaped protector panel under the abdomen for male dogs that can be completely removed for females. The harness is available in small, medium, and large size. Medium and large size feature a rubberized handle to help lift your dog. Alternatively, you can use a lifting leash or an adjustable shoulder strap to lift your dog more easily. This harness is also fairly easy to clean as the belly band and leg loops are removable and machine washable in mild detergent. The male protector piece can be washed in soapy water. PetSafe Solvit harnesses is available at the price of $70.
PetSafe Solvit CareLift Full-Body Lifting Harness Key Features:
- Designed for old and recovering dogs
- Helps with climbing the stairs, taking bathroom breaks or going outside for a walk
- Front and rear sections that can be used independently or combined together
- If only rear section is used, must be done with the assistance of the pet owner
- Designed to lift hips and abdomen together to reduce the pressure off of one area
- Includes specially shaped protector panel for males that can be removed for females
- Available in small, medium, and large size
- Machine washable in mild detergent; male protector piece washable in soapy water
Our Runner Up Pick: GingerLead Dog Support and Rehabilitation Harness
GingerLead Dog Support and Rehabilitation Harness is designed to help senior dogs suffering from various conditions or injured dogs lead a normal and pain-free life. The harness assists with going up and down the stairs, in and out of vehicles and enhances your dog’s mobility. The support sling features ample padding to provide comfort. It’s lined with the soft corduroy along the surface that is in contact with your dog’s skin. The exterior is made of durable nylon. The harness comes with a leash that can be attached to a collar for more control and safety.
According to the reviews, GingerLead harness is extremely helpful if your dog is suffering from a hip dysplasia or has undergone a knee surgery. It’s also recommended for dogs suffering from arthritis or degenerative myelopathy. This particular size is suitable for medium to large male and female dogs, but the harness is available in multiple sizes. It’s easy to clean, you can simply put it in a washing machine. The harness is available at the price of $66.
GingerLead Dog Support and Rehabilitation Harness Key Features:
- Support sling padded for comfort
- Exterior made of nylon
- Comes with a leash
- Designed for senior or recovering dogs
- Available in multiple sizes
- Adjustable height
- Includes stay-on straps
- Chest harness not included
- Machine washable
Best Budget Pick: Lepark Dog Sling with Handle for Canine Aid
Lepark Dog Sling with Handle for Canine Aid is an efficient and affordable way to provide your dog with the care and comfort they’ve been affected with the loss of stability or mobility. This harness comes at the price of $17 and it helps dogs that suffer from joint injuries, arthritis or weak rear legs move around more easily. With the help of this sling, you can lift your dog’s rear legs and protect their back in the process.
According to the reviews, the harness is easy to use and dogs feel comfortable wearing it, while it’s also helpful for the owner as it prevents back pain caused by bending over while lifting your dogs legs. The sling’s handle comes with a removable padding to protect your hand while lifting. The sling is made of durable materials and can support medium to large size dogs, belonging to Border Collie, Husky, Labrador and similar breeds. The sling rolls up for easy storage and it’s machine washable.
Lepark Dog Sling with Handle for Canine Aid Key Features:
- Helps dogs with arthritis, joint injuries or weak rear legs
- Enables easy lifting of dogs rear legs while protecting their back
- Handle features a removable padding to protect your hand while lifting
- Made of durable materials
- Supports medium to large-sized dogs – Labrador, Husky, Border Collie, and similar breeds
- Rolls up for easy storage
- Machine washable
Best Dog Rear Lift Harness: Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness
Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness offers great assistance when trying to lift your elderly or recovering dog. It’s recommended for dogs who weigh more than 75 pounds. The sling is padded for superior comfort and made of nylon with fleece lining. The straps feature velcro to enable a stronger handle. The harness is designed to help elderly or injured dogs with everyday activities, such as walking around, climbing stairs or going into or out of a vehicle.
The manufacturer notes that even if your dog weighs less than 75 pounds, he or she may have a thicker mid section, so extra large size may be appropriate if your dog has a heavier mid section. The harness is extremely practical and it rolls up for easy storage while it also unwraps in seconds. It’s available at the price of $20.
Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness Key Features:
- Designed to help with lifting elderly or recovering dogs
- Suitable for dogs over 75 pounds or those with heavier mid sections
- Padded for comfort
- Made of nylon with fleece lining
- Straps feature strong Velcro
- Rolls up for easy storage
Best Dog Sling Harness: AMZpets Dog Lift Harness Support Sling
AMZpets Dog Lift Harness Support Sling helps improve mobility in dogs that suffer from arthritis and orthopedic problems. It is designed with adjustable handles so that it can be comfortable for use regardless of your height. That eliminates the need for bending over when lifting your dog, so you can provide your pet with all the help they need while also protecting your back. The harness is suitable for medium-sized dogs weighing 24-45 pounds.
The sling is also practical as it rolls up to be compact. It’s quite easy to clean and you can simply put it in a washing machine and let it air dry. Also, the sling comes with a step-by-step instruction manual with tips on how to introduce the sling to your dog and how to take care of it later. The sling is available at the price of $24.
AMZpets Dog Lift Harness Support Sling Key Features:
- Helps improve mobility in dogs that suffer from arthritis and orthopedic problems
- Features handles that can be adjusted to any height that is convenient for you
- Designed for medium-sized dogs weighing 24-45 pounds
- Rolls up for easy storage
- Includes a step-by-step instruction manual
- Machine washable
Who Should Buy a Dog Lift Harness
Taking care of elderly dogs can be challenging, but with the right equipment pet owners can make their dogs’ senior years more comfortable and secure. Dog lift harnesses can be extremely helpful if your dog has trouble getting around either due to old age or some physical injury they suffered. Also, there are several conditions that require dogs to wear a lift harness, such as hip dysplasia and arthritis.
Hip dysplasia occurs when the hip joint doesn’t develop properly, which results in pain and limited mobility. Arthritis takes a toll on a dog’s stability and mobility and can be caused by various factors, such as autoimmune disease. Whatever the case, if your dog suffers from decrease in mobility, a lift harness can help them to a great extent with their everyday activities and enable them to function normally in their senior years. If you’re in need of a quality dog collar to increase the safety of your pet, take a look at our list of the best dog collars.
Important Features to Consider
A dog lift harness should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog lift harness for your four-legged companion:
- Size. First and foremost, you need to determine the right size of the harness, so that you dog feels comfortable while wearing it. It shouldn’t be too tight and it shouldn’t buckle or rub anywhere on your dog’s body. It should also be easy to put on. Harnesses usually come in sizes that range from extra-small and extra large, and the size you need will depend on how big your dog’s chest and rib cage are. Normally, anything up to 20 inches is appropriate for small size, up to 28 inches requires medium size, up to 40 inches is suitable for large size, and over 40 inches calls for extra-large size. If your dog is between sizes, it’s a good idea to opt for the bigger one.
- Materials. A dog lift harness should be made of strong and durable materials such as nylon to be able to support your dog’s weight and last for years. It should also be made of soft materials and padded on the inside so that it doesn’t irritate your dog’s fur or skin. It’s also a good idea to look for harnesses which have padded handles so that you can protect your hand while lifting your dog.
- Types of harnesses. Before you buy a certain lift harness, it’s essential to determine which type of harness you actually need. Depending on your dog’s needs you can choose harnesses that support the front of your dog’s body, the ones that support their abdomen, the ones that support their rear legs or the ones that support the entire body.
- Adjustable height. With some harnesses you have to bend over to be able to assist your dog, which can take a toll on your back after a longer period of time. For that reason, it’s a good idea to look for slings that have adjustable straps so that you can adjust them to fit your height and protect your back.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog lift harness and how does it work?
A dog lift harness is a sling with a handle that wraps around your dog’s body. It’s designed to reduce the weight off your dog’s spine, legs or hips by pulling up the handle gently. A lift harness is used to assist your dog with everyday activities, such as going up and down the stairs, in and out of the vehicle or going for a walk and it increases your dog’s stability and mobility. It’s designed to help dogs who are in their senior years or the ones suffering from some physical injury, condition or recovering from a surgery.
How do you put a sling on a dog?
Every dog sling should come with a detailed instruction on how to safely put your dog in it and how to wear it properly as there are different types of slings. Most often, you will have to adjust the length of straps to be the same on both sides and slide the handle on top. If there’s a leash, you can shorten or lengthen it by using the buckle that attaches to the handle. To put a sling on your dog you’ll need to place the sling under your dog’s belly holding the straps on each side. The handle is usually set to be on the left side of your dog and you should align the free strap on the right side under the handle. After that you should wrap the handle under and around the free strap and close the ends of the handle together. Optionally, if there’s a leash, you should attach the hook of the leash to your dog’s collar.
It’s important to make sure that your dog can breathe and that the sling isn’t too tight. Also, if your dog still hasn’t got used to a sling and doesn’t feel comfortable wearing it, they may move too much or try to jump out. Before you start to move your dog around, let them wiggle a little to find a position that they find the most comfortable.
Can you lift a dog onto a couch with a dog lift harness?
Dog lift harnesses are designed to help your dog move around more easily and, among other things, to help them hop on and off the furniture. Therefore, you can lift a dog onto a couch using a lift harness, provided that you use the harness properly and gently pull up the handle.
Can a dog wear a lift harness all day?
Although dog lift harnesses can be worn for longer periods of time, experts recommend taking the harness off from time to time, especially during sleep. If your dog wears the harness for a long time, you should check for potential hot spots or signs of discomfort, such as chewing on the harness.