Constipation in dogs is a condition characterized by difficulty passing stools normally. A number of factors can lead to the condition. Some of the most common of these include ingestion of foreign bodies, dehydration, and lack of dietary fiber. Thankfully, there are a wide variety of commercially available dog laxatives that are designed to loosen your dog’s stools and ease symptoms of constipation. Many of these products also contain ingredients that promote overall digestive health.
We researched dozens of dog laxatives to identify the best of the best, based on factors including formula, ingredients, affordability, and Amazon reviews. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated dog laxatives.
Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up! is specially formulated to gently ease symptoms of constipation in dogs. This product stood out to us during the course of our research thanks to its high-quality natural ingredients and convenient pureed formula.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Laxatives
|Best Dog Laxative Overall||Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up!||4.3|
|Best Dog Laxative Chews||Vet's Best Gas Busters Dog Supplements||3.8|
|Best Budget Dog Laxative||Cloud Star Dynamo Dog Tummy Treats||4.4|
|Best Dog Laxative Gel||Pfizer Lax'aire||4.6|
|Best Dog Laxative Powder||Raw Paws Pet Organic Pure Pumpkin Powder||4.2|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Dog Laxative Overall: Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up!
Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up! is our top pick among the dog laxatives we looked at. The supplement contains just 2 simple ingredients: water and GMO-free pumpkins that are naturally rich in soluble and insoluble fibers. This healthy, natural formula helps support gut motility and improves stool quality in pets.
The gentle dog laxative is pureed and packaged in convenient, non-BPA pouches for ease of use. The product is also made in a human-food facility with superior safety standards and quality control. Many reviewers of this dog laxative say that it helps support their pets’ digestive health. Some also comment that it was recommended by their veterinarian.
Weruva Pumpkin Patch Up! Key Features:
- All-natural formula
- Helps support your dog’s digestive system
- Free from grain, gluten, GMO, and BPA
- Convenient, easy-to-open pouches
Best Dog Laxative Chews: Vet’s Best Gas Busters Dog Supplements
Vet’s Best Gas Busters Dog Supplements are specially formulated to relieve gas, bloating, and an upset digestive system. The veterinarian formulated dog laxatives contain a blend of natural ingredients, including parsley, slippery elm bark, and ginger root. Together, these ingredients help support your pet’s digestive health.
These chewable dog laxatives also contain an enzyme and probiotic blend that promotes a healthy, balanced digestive flora. Each bottle contains 90 tablets, up to 1 month’s supply for smaller dogs. Most reviewers of these dog laxatives chews say they are effective and easy to administer.
Vet’s Best Gas Busters Dog Supplements Key Features:
- Veterinarian formulated
- Contains a blend of natural ingredients
- Promotes digestive health
- Includes enzymes and probiotics
Best Budget Dog Laxative: Cloud Star Dynamo Dog Tummy Treats
Cloud Star Dynamo Dog Tummy Treats are formulated with pumpkin and ginger to support your dog’s digestive system. The affordably-priced dog laxatives contain no grain or added gluten. They are also free from corn, soy, and artificial colors or flavors.
These dog laxative chews contain probiotics, making them ideal for older pups with digestive issues. They are also soft, palatable, and easy to chew. Many reviewers say this product is great for settling their dogs’ stomach.
Cloud Star Dynamo Dog Tummy Treats Key Features:
- Grain free formula
- Contains healthy natural ingredients
- Includes probiotics
- Ideal for older dogs
Best Dog Laxative Gel: Pfizer Lax’aire
Pfizer Lax’aire is a gentle laxative and lubricant for dogs and cats. It is designed to relieve various digestive issues, including constipation. The key ingredients in this dog laxative gel are liquid petrolatum, which acts as a lubricant, and cod liver oil, a natural laxative.
The laxative gel is easy to administer and highly palatable to dogs. Simply place a small amount on your dog’s nose to stimulate initial taste interest.
Pfizer Lax’aire Key Features:
- Contains essential vitamins, fatty acids, and iron
- Effectively relieves various digestive issues
- Easy to administer
- Highly palatable
Best Dog Laxative Powder: Raw Paws Pet Organic Pure Pumpkin Powder
Raw Paws Pet Organic Pure Pumpkin Powder promotes regularity and aids digestion. The dog laxative powder is made from 100% organic pumpkin that’s a rich source of soluble fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients.
This dog laxative powder is packaged in a resealable ziplock bag to keep it fresh. It’s also convenient and easy to use, simply add directly to your dog’s food or mix with water.
Raw Paws Pet Organic Pure Pumpkin Powder Key Features:
- 100% USDA certified organic pumpkin powder
- Promotes regularity and aids digestion
- Rich in vitamins and nutrients
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Who Should Buy Dog Laxatives
Dog laxatives are an essential item that every pup parent should consider keeping in their medicine cabinet. They are easy to administer, and are formulated to ease symptoms of mild constipation or other minor digestive issues. If your dog suffers from ongoing digestive issues, it’s also a good idea to keep dog diapers in your home (we review the best dog diapers in a separate post).
There are several types of dog laxatives on the market. Some of the most common of these include chews, liquids, gels, and powders. These products contain a variety of ingredients that are known for their digestive properties.
Important Features to Consider
Dog laxatives should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when choosing a dog laxative product to treat constipation and other digestive issues:
- Type of laxative. Different types of dog laxatives have their own unique benefits. Dog laxative chews are a popular choice as they are usually flavored like a regular treat. Powders or purees are also convenient as they can be mixed into your dog’s regular food. If your dog is a picky eater, consider dog laxative gels or liquids that can be administered directly into your dog’s mouth.
- Ingredients. Look for a dog laxative that’s made with safe, natural ingredients that won’t pose a threat to your dog’s health. Ingredients such as pumpkin and apple fiber are safe, natural choices that promote digestive health.
- Prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes. Some dog laxatives contain additional ingredients that support overall digestive health. Examples include prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes. These products are a good choice for older dogs or those with ongoing digestive issues.
- Veterinarian formulated or recommended. It’s a good idea to choose a dog laxative supplement that’s veterinarian formulated or recommended. This will give you an indication of the quality, safety, and efficacy of the product.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much laxative do you give a dog?
Dosages of dog laxative will vary, depending on the product and other factors such as the size and age of your dog. Always read the manufacturer’s dosage information before administering laxatives to your dog.
How long can a dog go without pooping?
It’s important to visit your veterinarian if your dog has not had a bowel movement in over 48 hours.
Is milk a good laxative for dogs?
Milk can be used as a mild laxative to treat minor cases of constipation. Milk can also be mixed with commercially available dog laxatives to help ease constipation.
How can I stimulate my dog to poop?
Appropriate dosages of dog laxatives can stimulate your dog to poop. Natural remedies such as pumpkin, milk, and fibrous vegetables can also help induce a bowel movement.
Other Dog Laxatives We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other dog laxatives. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog laxatives list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Dog Laxative Chews
These dog laxative chews combine probiotics and prebiotics to help aid digestion in dogs and cats. The all-natural chews also contain vitamin C and other essential nutrients.
- Soft, chewable treats
- Aids digestion in dogs and cats
- Reduces occasional diarrhea or constipation
These high fiber grass bits revitalize your dog’s digestive system and relieve issues such as diarrhea, constipation, and bloating.
- Contains fiber, prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes
- Relieves digestive issues
- Improves stool quality and firmness
- Premium natural ingredients
These dog laxative chews feature an advanced formula that supports healthy digestion. Reviewers say the chews are great for picky eaters.
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Helps relieve digestive issues
- Tasty chewable treats
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes
These chewy dog laxative bars are an excellent source of fiber. They help maintain anal gland, digestive, and bowel health.
- Promotes overall digestive health
- High in dietary fiber
- Veterinarian developed formula
- Suitable for dogs of all ages, sizes, and breeds
These veterinarian formulated soft laxative chews for dogs contain a proprietary enzyme blend plus added fiber to help soften stools.
- Veterinarian formulated
- Designed to taste like a treat
- Helps maintain regular bowel movements
- Proprietary enzyme blend plus added fiber
A pumpkin-based fiber supplement that supports proper stool consistency. Reviewers are pleased with the quality and performance of this product.
- Improves fecal quality
- Proprietary pumpkin blend
- Flavored with real duck
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Dog Laxative Gel
This gentle laxative and lubricant gel is specially designed to alleviate constipation in cats and dogs.
- Convenient gel formula
- Suitable for use in cats and dogs
- 3 ounce tube
This palatable laxative gel is formulated for treating hairballs in cats and constipation in dogs and cats. Reviewers say it works well and is easy to administer.
- Palatable gel formula
- Treats hairballs and constipation
- Suitable for cats and dogs
This convenient oral gel is a laxative and hairball remedy. It works with your dog’s digestive system and has a palatable maple flavor.
- Convenient oral gel
- Supports normal digestion
- Palatable and easy to use
- Maple flavor
Dog Laxative Powder
This dog laxative powder is formulated to keep dogs regular, naturally. It aids a number of digestive issues, including constipation, diarrhea, and anal gland problems.
- Veterinary formulated
- All-natural premium ingredients
- Aids digestive issues in dogs
- Made in the USA
This pumpkin and apple fiber digestive supplement supports stool consistency in cats and dogs. Reviewers say the dog laxative supplement helps maintain healthy bowel movements.
- Pumpkin and apple blend supports healthy digestion
- Convenient powdered formula
- Shelf stable for 24 months
- Resealable BPA-free packaging
This 100% natural digestive fiber pumpkin powder promotes regularity, supports normal bowel function, and maintains digestive health.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Peanut butter and pumpkin formula
- Provides digestive support for dogs
- No corn, wheat, or soy
This gentle dog laxative powder is made from ground slippery elm bark, a natural ingredient know for its powerful digestive properties.
- Organic, all-natural formula
- Veterinarian recommended
- Supports digestive health in dogs
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes
This veterinary formulated digestion aid is designed to help treat the symptoms of common digestive issues in cats and dogs.
- Contains powerful natural ingredients
- Excellent source of fiber
- Prebiotic and digestive enzyme support
- Suitable for cats and dogs
This pumpkin dog fiber supplement is designed by a leading veterinary nutritionist. It contains organic pumpkin powder, pumpkin seed, and apple pectin to provide all-natural digestive support and relief.
- All-natural organic ingredients
- Provides digestive support and relief for dogs
- Easy mixer and topper
- Satisfaction guarantee
This dog laxative powder contains pumpkin, beet pulp, flaxseed, and psyllium husk. It is formulated to help support normal bowel function in dogs.
- Proprietary blend of active ingredients
- Enhanced with pumpkin for fiber
- For use in dogs over 12 weeks of age
- Manufactured in the USA
Dog Laxative Liquid
This dog laxative liquid is made using naturally grown raw materials. It provides temporary relief from minor digestive problems, including constipation and diarrhea.
- Fast acting liquid
- Free from chemicals
- Treats minor digestive problems
- Suitable for dogs, cats, and other small animals
This veterinarian formulated herbal supplement is suitable for dogs and cats. It acts as a laxative and hairball remedy for overnight relief of constipation.
- Pure herbal extract
- Completely natural
- Appropriate for all ages and breeds
Dog Laxative Puree
This dog laxative puree contains a delicious blend of 100% pure and organic pumpkin. It can be mixed into your dog’s food to support their digestive health.
- Contains organic pumpkin
- Promotes digestive health
- Frustration-free packaging
- Multi-pack of 12 cans
This disposable enema for dogs and cats rapidly relieves constipation. Reviewers say the product is effective and fast acting.
- Rapid relief of constipation
- Pack of 3 single use syringes
- Suitable for dogs and cats