Dog hats are useful accessories which help protect your pet against extreme weather conditions such as harsh sunlight and freezing temperatures. They are available in a wide range of colors and styles, and are designed to fit securely on dogs of all shapes and sizes.
We reviewed dozens of dog hats to identify the best of the best, based on factors including Amazon reviews, affordability, quality of materials, and functionality. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated dog hats on the market today.
After careful research, we’ve identified the PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs as our top pick in the dog hat category. It stood out to us thanks to its stylish design, comfortable fit, and the excellent protection it offers against harmful UV rays.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Hats
|Best Overall||PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs||4.3|
|Runner Up||Rubie’s Brown Cowboy Hat for Pets||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||Happy Hours Dog Hat||3.7|
|Best Dog Winter Hat||Zoo Snoods Reindeer Dog Snood||4.8|
|Best Dog Sun Hat||leconpet Princess Pet Hat||4.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs
Our top pick, the PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs is an excellent choice for pet parents looking for a stylish, well-made hat that will protect their dog from the sun’s harmful rays. This dog hat is comes in two gorgeous patterns: a surfer dog (pictured) and bear.
Unlike some dog hats which are more focused on aesthetics than a practical purpose, this one combines both. The curved bill helps to protect your pooch from the sun, making it a must-have sun protection accessory.
It features comfortable ear holes and a hook and loop closure for a secure and comfortable fit. The only problem we noted is that it’s designed to fit very small dogs of up to 8 pounds.
PupLid Trucker Hat for Dogs Key Features:
- Made from durable material
- Available in 2 patterns
- Hook and loop closure
- Comfortable and secure fit
- Offers protection from UV rays
Our Runner Up Pick: Rubie’s Brown Cowboy Hat for Pets
Rubie’s Brown Cowboy Hat for Pets is a unique dog hat that is sure to look absolutely adorable on your pooch. This tan colored classic cowboy hat features a black band and silver star for a more authentic look. It comes with an adjustable chin strap to help ensure it fits right and won’t fall off.
The hat is available in 2 sizes (small/medium and medium/large) to fit most breeds of dog. While it’s a costume dog hat, it’s nevertheless designed to be comfortable for your dog to wear. Overall, it’s a fun and fashionable choice.
Rubie’s Brown Cowboy Hat for Pets Key Features:
- Cowboy hat design
- Adjustable chin strap
- Fun and fashionable
- Available in 2 sizes
Best Budget Pick: Happy Hours Dog Hat
Looking for a wallet-friendly dog hat that offers great protection from the sun? Look no further than the Happy Hours Dog Hat. The durable hat is made from breathable, high-quality canvas material and features a large visor that shades your pet from sunlight.
The hat also features ear holes and an adjustable chin strap to ensure a comfortable and secure fit. It is available in a range of colors and sizes, so you’re sure to find the perfect match for your four-legged friend.
Happy Hours Dog Hat Key Features:
- High-quality canvas material
- Large sun visor
- Ear holes and adjustable chin strap
- Available in several colors and sizes
Best Dog Winter Hat: Zoo Snoods Reindeer Dog Snood
Zoo Snoods Reindeer Dog Snood is an adorable, handmade costume that’s designed to keep your pet’s neck and ears warm and protected from dirt, moisture, and cold weather. The knitted snood is made from super-soft yarn for superior warmth and comfort.
The snood is the perfect dog hat for cold weather, and is available in 3 sizes to fit most breeds of dog. It also comes with a 100% money-back guarantee to ensure customer satisfaction. Many reviewers say the Zoo Snoods Reindeer Dog Snood is great quality, looks cute, and fits perfectly.
Zoo Snoods Reindeer Dog Snood Key Features:
- Handmade costume keeps your dog’s neck and ears warm and protected
- Made from super-soft yarn for warmth and comfort
- Available in 3 sizes
- 100% money-back guarantee
Best Dog Sun Hat: leconpet Princess Pet Hat
The leconpet Princess Pet Hat is a dog sun hat that ticks all the boxes in terms of looks and function. It comes in four different colors/patterns, so you’re sure to find something that suits your pooch. You can choose from a classic blue or pink design, or go for something more unique with a floral or rainbow design.
As it’s available in 3 different sizes, pooches of all sizes can enjoy wearing it. Most reviewers say the hat is functional, attractive, and well-made. All in all, this dog hat is an excellent choice for pet parents with small dogs that need protecting from the sun.
leconpet Princess Pet Hat Key Features:
- Comfortable design that offers protection from the sun
- Ear holes
- 4 patterns to choose from
- Choice of 3 sizes
Who Should Buy a Dog Hat
Any pet parent who wants to protect their dog from the elements should consider buying a dog hat. Whether to protect your pet against wintry weather or the sun’s harmful rays, there are plenty of dog hats available to suit your needs.
Dog hats come in a wide variety of styles and color combinations to fit your pet’s unique personality. So, as well as protecting your pup, they also double up as unique fashion accessories that will ensure your furry friend stands out from the pack.
While you’re at it, you may also want ensure their body is protected from the sun’s harmful rays as well. The easiest way to do this is to put on protective clothing, like a cute dog yoga outfit, that will help shield your dog from UV rays.
Important Features to Consider
Dog hats should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog hat for your four-legged family member:
- Size. It’s important to select a dog hat that fits comfortably and securely. Before buying a hat, take a tape measure and place it just in front of your dog’s ears. Carefully measure from the top of your dog’s head to the base of their snout. Depending on the type of hat, you may also need to measure the circumference of your dog’s neck at the base of their head. Compare these measurements with the manufacturer’s information to make sure you choose a hat that will fit your dog correctly.
- Adjustability. Most dog hats require adjusting to get the best fit. We recommend choosing a dog hat with ear holes and an adjustable chin strap to ensure the hat stays firmly in place. Some hats such as snoods fit snugly over your dog’s head and do not need to be adjusted.
- Winter hat vs. sun hat. Decide on the type of dog hat you need before making a buying decision. Winter hats are designed to protect your dog’s head and neck from cold weather, while sun hats provide protection from UV rays. Many pet parents choose to buy both a dog winter hat and a dog sun hat to protect their pet in different weather conditions.
- Functionality. A good dog hat should provide adequate protection against harsh weather conditions. When choosing a winter hat, check that it is thick enough to provide warmth in cold weather. Sun hats should be breathable and have a wide enough brim to protect your pet’s eyes from sunlight.
- Style and color. Whether you choose a winter hat or a sun hat, there are plenty of styles and colors to choose from. Styles of hat include snoods, baseball caps, bucket hats, and bonnets. Dog hats are also available in a huge range of attractive colors and prints. Ultimately, the decision on which style and color to choose will come down to personal taste and preference. But it also pays to consider the functionality of the hat before making a final choice.
- Material. Choose a dog hat that’s made of durable material that will withstand daily wear and tear. Cotton, canvas, and woolen hats are a good bet as they are comfortable, long-lasting, and breathable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do dogs like hats?
All dogs are different, and some will adapt to wearing a hat more quickly than others. If your dog has trouble getting used to wearing a hat, make sure it fits comfortably and allow them to wear it for short periods to begin with. Some pet parents prefer bandanas to protect their dog from harsh sunlight (we’ve reviewed the best dog bandanas in a separate post).
When should my dog wear a hat?
Dogs should wear a hat during sunny or cold weather. Sun hats will protect your dog’s sensitive eyes and face from bright light and harmful UV rays. Winter hats will keep your dog’s neck and head warm when temperatures drop outside.
How can I make a hat stay on my dog’s head?
First, make sure to choose the correct size hat for your dog. Some hats such as winter snoods fit snugly over your dog’s head and should easily stay in place. When buying a sun hat, we recommend choosing a hat that has earholes and an adjustable chin strap to keep it securely in place.
How do I measure my dog’s head for a hat?
Place a tape measure just in front of your dog’s ears. Carefully measure from the top of your dog’s head to the base of their snout. Depending on the style of hat, you may also need to measure the circumference of your dog’s neck at the base of their head.