Want to save money while keeping your pets well-groomed and comfortable? Then you owe yourself some dog grooming clippers. These electric trimmers will eliminate the need for weekly or monthly trips to the groomer’s while simultaneously keeping nervous pets calm, thanks to low-noise, low-vibration, low-heat and other nerve-soothing technologies. You can pick up a pair that will get the job done without the bells and whistles or you can purchase a set that comes with everything your groomer has and with the same quality; it’s entirely up to you.
We reviewed dozens of dog grooming clippers to identify the best of the best. We aimed to find the best grooming products to keep your furry friend’s coat trim and healthy, based on user feedback, features, durability, and other important buying considerations. Whether your pet loves to be groomed or is fearful of noisy clippers, we’re sure you’ll find the right clippers for your needs among the options below.
During our search for the best, we found that the Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit stood out as the clear winner. This eight-piece kit comes with not one, but five high-quality blade size settings to help you reach the desired fur length for your pooch without a fuss. Everything in the kit is easy to use and durable, meaning you’ll get years of use out of it.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Grooming Clippers
|Best Overall||Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit||4.4|
|Runner Up||Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper||4.4|
|Best Budget Buy||Wahl Touch-Up Rechargeable Pet Trimmer Set||4.1|
|Best Dog Grooming Clippers Kit||Andis Easy Clip Versa Pet Grooming Kit||4.0|
|Best Professional Dog Grooming Clippers||Andis UltraEdge Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper||4.5|
*Ratings are from Chewy at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit
The Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit is all you need to keep your dog’s coat looking well-groomed. It comes complete with five blade size settings (#9, #10, #15, #30, #40), two drop-in NiMH rechargeable battery packs, and a charging stand and charger. Basically, it includes everything you need to keep your dog’s hair looking show-ready. Even difficult-to-reach areas are easy to groom thanks to its intuitive design.
The trimmer itself is ergonomically designed and lightweight for your comfort. In terms of run time, this professional grooming kit offers 80-minute cordless run time. It’s also great for multi-pet households, as you can use it to trim cats and horses too.
Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit Key Features:
- Includes: Cordless clipper, 5 blade size settings (#9, #10, #15, #30, #40), carrying case, lubricating oil, 2 rechargeable battery packs, charging stand and charger, cleaning brush, blade oil, and instruction book
- Ergonomically designed, lightweight shape
- 80-minute cordless run time; 75 minute charge time
Our Runner-Up Pick: Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper
The Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper is a battery powered set of clippers that you can still use while they’re charging. The battery light indicator is a traffic light system of red, yellow and green to let you know when it’s fully charged.
This super-powered pet grooming clipper from Wahl banks on its famed 5-in-1 blade, offering the ultimate in power and function. The clipper quick-charges in just 60 minutes, and runs long enough to accommodate a full-body clipping on small and medium dogs; it’ll even handle a horse’s bridle path, ears, muzzle and fetlocks, if your pups share their home with four-legged friends of a different size.
Wahl Motion Lithium Ion Clipper Key Features:
- Includes: Cordless clipper, 5-in-1 blade set, 6 attachment guide combs (3mm, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 18mm, and 25mm), charge stand and charger, cleaning brush, soft storage case, blade oil, and instruction book
- Cool-running motor runs a 5500 rpm
- 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee and 1-year warranty
Best Budget Pick: Wahl Touch-Up Rechargeable Pet Trimmer Set
As far as affordably-priced dog grooming clippers go, you won’t find a better option than the Wahl Touch-Up Rechargeable Pet Trimmer Set. For around $40, you’ll not only get a Wahl Touch-Up trimmer, but also a #40 detachable blade, detachable detail blade, soft zipper pouch, six-position attachment comb, blade oil, cleaning brush, and an English/Spanish user manual.
This lightweight and cordless trimmer offers 5,000 SPM and 40 minutes of continuous operation. It’s very easy to use and ergonomically designed for your comfort thanks to its soft-touch grip handle. The battery is rechargeable, making it an all-round economical choice for dog owners.
Wahl Touch-Up Rechargeable Pet Trimmer Set Key Features:
- Includes: Wahl Touch-Up trimmer, #40 detachable blade, detachable detail blade, soft zipper pouch, six-position attachment comb, blade oil, cleaning brush, and user manual
- Ergonomic design for your comfort
Best Dog Grooming Clippers Kit Pick: Andis Easy Clip Versa Pet Grooming Kit
The Andis Easy Clip Versa Pet Grooming Kit is quiet enough that your pup won’t be scared or startled by just switching the clippers on. And when you’re going to be cutting the fur all over your dog, it’s definitely preferable that he’s not quivering in fear. You certainly don’t want your dog traumatized before you even start.
This high-precision, powerful dog grooming clipper is part of an 11-piece kit. It includes detachable blades, four safeguard combs, and more! The powerful rotating motor cuts through even thick coats. The user-friendly design is ergonomic and easy to use, even if you have multiple pets to groom.
It’s a safe bet that this clipper kit will accomplish your grooming without too many complaints.
Andis Easy Clip Versa Pet Grooming Kit Key Features:
- Includes: Instructional DVD, carrying case, blade brush, charging stand, lubricating blade oil, stainless-steel shears, and 4 comb attachments
- Cordless and lightweight
- Rechargeable device
Best Professional Dog Grooming Clippers Pick: Andis UltraEdge Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
The Andis UltraEdge Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper is a corded clipper set with a simple design that will require no training or learning curve for operation. The cord is a full fourteen feet, giving you plenty of slack to groom your pup all over.
Home groomers and pros both love these dog grooming clippers from Andis, which offer high and low speeds for a start-to-finish groom. Designed to run cool, these clippers help prevent clogs and snags – that means, no discomfort or caught fur, for the most comfortable and easiest trim you and your pet have ever experienced.
These clippers have almost 2,000 customer reviews on Amazon, earning it a 4.4 star rating. You’ll also get to choose between six different colors, so while you can be confident in the quality of the product, you’ll also have a bit of fun picking out your favorite color, as well.
Andis UltraEdge Super 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper Key Features:
- Two-speed rotary motor offers enough power and speed for professionals
- 14-foot, heavy-duty cord affords total range of movement throughout grooming
- Long-lasting, shatter-proof housing
Who Should Buy a Dog Grooming Clippers
You may want to invest in a set of dog grooming clippers for a few reasons. The first criteria you’ll probably want to meet though, is dog ownership. If you have a dog, you will likely find a use for clippers during his life. Even if you plan to have him groomed by a professional, there will still be times that he has something stuck in his fur that you’ll want to clip out and then trim him all over to clean up his new haircut. Even if he doesn’t get into anything, you’ll probably have plenty of times when you’d like a fast grooming appointment that a groomer won’t be able to accommodate. Having dog grooming clippers (especially for long hair dogs) will always come in handy for dog parents.
The other big reason to own a set of grooming clippers is if dog grooming is your profession. If that’s the case you’ll want to make sure that the set you invest in are high quality and professional grade. You’ll need more than just clippers, of course, so you’ll want to make sure you’re getting a kit, including guards, scissors, combs, and different blades.
Important Features to Consider
Dog grooming clippers should do several choice things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a pair of grooming clippers for your dog:
- Kits vs. sets. You may be confused when it comes to what dog grooming clippers come in a kit and which come in a set. A kit, in this case, will be a pair of clippers, some way to charge it, possibly a brush and a few length attachments. A set would be something more all-encompassing. That is, the set will have a pair of clippers, attachments, brush, charger and also other tools for grooming; nail trimmers, nail file, tweezers, grooming scissors, etc.
- Cord or cordless. You’ll need to weigh your priorities and most likely scenarios in your grooming plans and intentions to determine which would be best for you: corded or cordless. If you plan to tie your pup with his leash or close him within a bathroom, then a corded set will definitely suit your needs just fine. You’ll also be fine to use corded clippers with a well behaved dog you plan on grooming inside a tub. However, if your pup is one you’re going to need to chase, or you want to groom him outside, then a set of cordless clippers might suit you best.
- Professional grade. You may find professional grade clippers suit you best, even for your home use. In fact, many clippers intended for home use are hearty enough to be professional, these days. But if you’re looking for a pair that really fits the bill, you may want to consider a ceramic blade over a stainless steel one. There are other types but these two seem to really be the best of the bunch and ceramic just narrowly tops the stainless steel to prevent overheating and reduce vibration.
- Attachments and accessories. If you plan on doing a full-service groom you may be interested in a one-click purchase to get it all. If that’s the case, then you’ll want to make sure your clipper set comes with nail clippers, scissors, tweezers and a nail file. Whether you plan on full-grooming or just the occasional, you’ll very likely want the length attachments for your clippers to make sure your dog has the length you want. Not all clippers come with these, so make sure you’re getting what you need before you purchase.
- Spare parts. Clippers are machines that experience a lot of wear and tear. Between the vibration and the constant moving while powered on, you may need to replace parts of the clippers the more that you use them. And if you don’t, you’ll likely need to replace the whole set of clippers entirely. So buying a set of clippers that have spare parts available is worth pursuing. An extra blade or battery can go a long way towards convincing.
- Quiet. This is a big one when it comes to stress free grooming for your dog. The sound of a set of clippers can grate on your nerves, especially if it’s constantly on for 20+ minutes while you’re grooming your pup. But the inconvenience of an annoying sound is minuscule compared to how frightening the louder clippers can be to your poor dog. If your dog is sensitive to loud noises (for example, if she’s skittish around the vacuum), you may want to seek out quieter clippers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a difference between dog clippers and human clippers?
If you use your dog clippers on your hair, the thinner hair will be cut slightly less even. And while you want your dog to be stylish, if he isn’t bringing his 100% perfect cut to the park, no one will even notice. (Unless you have a show dog, of course.) If you cut your hair with dog clippers, people will notice. Unfortunately, the two products, so similar in design, are still not interchangeable.
How often should dog grooming clippers be cleaned?
You should also try to replace the hinge or blade latch (whatever mechanism that holds the blade to the clipper) every 4 months or so. There are also carbon brushes within the clippers you may want to replace (see the clipper’s instruction manual). While some of this frequency of cleaning and replacing is intended for clippers that are used on a regular basis, you should be able to notice wear and tear on these parts. Keeping an eye on your clippers is always the best form of maintenance.
How do you hold dog grooming clippers?
Can you shave a matted dog or a wet dog?