If you have a dog, there’s a reasonable assumption that you’ll have a bit of food stored for him, as well. Unless you make his own food, you’ll need a separate place to store that food, as well. You probably won’t want to go out and buy him fresh food for each meal, so a dog food storage container is a must-have for you. There are several types and several purposes, though and choosing which one will suit your home and your dog the best may be a bit difficult to navigate. That being the case, allow us to take some pressure off and present all the information you need to make a smart purchase below.
We reviewed dozens of dog food storage containers to identify the best of the best. We looked at containers that you can stack and those that are air tight. We found those that double as dog bowl stands and those that match your decor. No matter what you decide will suit your home best, we have it on our list. Looking for the right food for your pup? Check out our reviews of the best diet dog food, the best organic dog food, the best dry dog food, and the best dog food for allergies.
Interested in dog food bowls or automatic feeders? Take a look at our pet bowls, feeders and waterers articles.
When researching the different types of dog food containers, we stumbled upon the Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container and knew right away it would be our Top Pick. It’s perfect for a wide variety of needs; it will keep your dog’s food fresh and you can stack a few to keep as much food in as many varieties as you need.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Food Storage Containers
|Best Overall||Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container||4.5|
|Runner Up||Richell Pet Stuff Tower for Food Storage||4.3|
|Best Budget Buy||Van Ness Pet Food Storage Container||4.8|
|Best Decorative Dog Food Storage Container||Paw Prints Marble Pet Food Storage Container||4.6|
|Best Airtight Dog Food Container||IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container
The Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container is the very best for dog food storage because it’s designed especially for that purpose with several features that just make sense. For starters, you can store this container on its side or upright and lose none of the functionality. On its side, the angled opening will allow you to scoop your pup’s food freely without worrying about overflow or spilling and it sticks out just enough that no matter if it’s stacked on top or on bottom, you’ll have easy access to the lid.
If you have multiple dogs with different diets or feed your dog a variety of foods, you’ll be able to easily keep each food option separate by sorting them into a few of these containers. In this case, stacking them will save you plenty of space and with its twisting air-tight lid, you can be sure the food will stay fresh for longer. This storage container has over 6700 customer reviews and an overall rating of 4.6 stars; which is a very impressive number of pleased customers.
Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container Key Features:
- 40 or 60 pound food capacity
- Certified pest proof and airtight
- Food-safe BPA free construction
Our Runner Up Pick: Richell Pet Stuff Tower for Food Storage
The Richell Pet Stuff Tower for Food Storage is the definition of functional design. Take a look for yourself to see just how convenient it would be to use. You can sort your dog’s food into one or both of the two storage containers this tower houses, or keep their food in one and their accessories (or anything else) in the other.
There are many reasons this food storage option caught our eye. We love that it features snap-lock lids to ensure your dog’s food remains fresh and crunchy. These lids also help to keep food odors and unwanted visitors at bay. Each food container is able to hold a sizable amount of dry dog food; 8 pounds each to be exact. Another handy feature is the foot pedal, which makes accessing the bottom container a breeze. As if this all weren’t enough to convince you that this option is a winner, you may be persuaded once you hear that each purchase even includes a 1.5 cup food scoop.
With over 400 customer reviews and an overall rating of 4.3 stars, there’s a reasonable expectation of satisfaction. In fact, over 62% gave it a perfect 5 stars!
Richell Pet Stuff Tower for Food Storage Key Features:
- Foot pedal for easy access to bottom container
- Holds a total of 16 pounds of dry pet food
- Includes a food scoop
Best Budget Pick: Van Ness Pet Food Storage Container
The Van Ness Pet Food Storage Container is a brilliant multipurpose dog food storage option that you’re sure to be satisfied with. It boasts a 25-pound capacity and comes equipped with 4 removable wheels that make moving it from point A to B a breeze. We believe it’s the perfect choice for anyone looking for a simple but well-made storage container that does the job without a fuss…and without a hefty price tag!
As a dog parent who only wants the best for your dog, you may be interested to learn that the plastic and colorant used in this offering has the tick of approval from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Basically, this means that it’s safe for your pooch to use (which is sadly not a given for many pet food storage boxes).
The Van Ness Pet Food Storage Container has an overall rating of 4.8 stars on Amazon from over 1400 people, making it a popular choice across the board. But even ignoring the ratings and reviews, the features you’ll get are well worth the spectacular price tag: under $20!
Van Ness Pet Food Storage Container Key Features:
- Made from FDA-approved plastic
- 4 wheels for easy transportation
- Airtight storage bin
Best Decorative Dog Food Storage Container: Paw Prints Marble Pet Food Storage Container
The first thing you’ll likely notice about the Paw Prints Marble Pet Food Storage Container is how stylish it is. It features a marble design with “Bone Appetit” written across the middle and a picture of a bone above it. Needless to say, the gorgeous font used for the writing, the classy marble design, as well as the cute pun on the French word ‘Bon appétit,’ all come together to make this dog food storage container truly stand out from the pack.
Rest assured that the Paw Prints Marble Pet Food Storage Container is just as useful as it is stylish! It’s made with durable BPA-free plastic, and features a gasket-seal to ensure your dog’s food stays fresh for longer. It has a capacity of 26-pounds, so you won’t need to worry about your dog food not fitting comfortably in it. Conveniently, it also includes a 1-cup scoop that locks into lid.
With over 100 customer reviews earning it an impressive overall rating of 4.6 stars, you can take comfort in the likelihood of your satisfaction.
Paw Prints Marble Pet Food Storage Container Key Features:
- Flip-out spout
- Marble design
- Easy grip handle
Best Airtight Dog Food Container: IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo
The IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo is perfect for a dog’s “command center” for food and more. You’ll have the two airtight containers and a scoop to make getting the food from those containers to the bowl a piece of cake. There is a bigger container that will perfectly store your dog’s food and the smaller container will store his other necessities; treats or dental chews, for example. You could even store his sweaters, or leash and harness, or refills for his waste bags, or his medical paperwork; the possibilities are endless and there is always more to keep track of with your dog. It would even work if you have a large and small dog who eat different foods at different speeds.
These containers are each airtight and BPA-free, so you won’t need to worry about your dog’s food becoming stale or tainted by the harsh chemicals of the container. The bottom, larger container comes with 4 rolling casters that will allow you to transport it easily, and prevent you from hauling big bags of dog food over your shoulder. The scoop included has measurements listed along the inside so if your dog is on a measured diet, this will make that all the easier, as well.
This dog food storage container is so well reviewed, the numbers speak for themselves. There are over 10,000 customer reviews for it and they’ve awarded it an overall rating of 4.6 stars on Amazon. And the price, depending on your choice of color, is right around $25.
IRIS 3-Piece Airtight Pet Food Container Combo Key Features:
- Multiple color options
- Includes 12 qt and 33 qt storage containers
- BPA-free plastic rolling storage bins
Who Should Buy a Dog Food Storage Container
As long as you don’t have food that requires refrigeration, (if you’re making your dog’s food at home, for example), you’ll need to find a way to store that dog food. Depending on your dog’s size, how often you purchase dog food, and how quickly your dog goes through that food, you may need a larger or smaller container. For example, you may need to buy large bags in bulk if you have a large breed dog, or multiple dogs. If that’s the case, then a large dog food storage container is a necessity. If you have any kind of insect or rodent problem, it also becomes necessary to purchase a dog food storage container to protect it and prevent the problem getting any worse.
Buying in bulk will save you some cash in the long run, but only as long as you can properly store it. Without a dog food storage container, you may end up loosing money by your dog’s food spoiling before use. If you plan on travelling and taking your dog with you, or even if you take care of other dogs, there’s a solid argument to be made that keeping a smaller container in your car for those trips will be of huge benefit to you and your dog.
Important Features to Consider
A container for your dog’s food should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog food container:
- Stacking. If you have more than one dog, and you’re very lucky, then there’s a good chance those dogs eat the same food. But it also means that you’ll go through that dog food twice as quickly. For that reason, you may still want to invest in a few containers so that you don’t have to keep running to the store. Alternatively, if you’re not very lucky with your dog’s foods, you may need two (or even more) containers to store their different foods; and stacking can save a lot of space. Building up definitely beats building across for space management.
- Decor. We won’t lie, most dog food storage containers are plastic and not the best match for most decor. You can choose a dog food storage container that fits with your decor if you look carefully, though. Some decors may be more difficult to match than others, but if you have a wood stain that you can try to match, then all the easier it will be to find one. You may also be able to match colors or styles, like a modern or country container that can suit a broader theme. And a stainless steel option matches nearly all decors.
- Airtight. If your dog goes through his food quickly or you pick up food each time you go to the store, you’ll very likely be able to get away without an airtight seal. If you plan on stocking up for the month ahead, though, an airtight seal will prevent the food from getting stale or any bugs getting into the food. It may not seem important with dog food that is already dry, but dog food can go stale, just as your cereal does. So you’ll want to make sure the container won’t let any moisture or air into the food to prevent it from losing the proper consistency. If it does, your dog may lose interest in it, or he could damage his teeth trying to chew extra hard food.
- Store and feed. If you tend to chose options that maximize your efficiency, you may want to consider a store-and-feed container. You can save space by storing your dog’s food in a container directly beneath his dog food bowls. That way, when it’s time to feed him you won’t need to go anywhere but his bowls. Just keep in mind that the bowl stand may not hold all of a bag of food. But if you opt for smaller bags, this may be a great option. Even if you go with larger bags, you may still want to use this, just in conjunction to a more traditional storage container for your pup’s food to make feeding time a bit less daunting.
- Subscribe and save. If you’re like us, then you’ll want a safety net for your dog’s food stores. We can’t count how many times we’ve made rice and chicken for our dogs when we forgot to pick up a bag of dog food. And more and more, you’ll be able to pick up your dog’s other necessities while you’re shopping for other things, making trips to the pet store more uncommon. Subscribe and Save on Amazon is a perk that a lot of dog foods offer and will keep you from that “Oh no” moment. Plus they will often be a bit less expensive this way, so make sure to check before you buy your dog’s food to see if it has that option.
- Size. You’ll want to keep in mind the container will be of little use if it won’t hold the entirety of your dog’s food bag. If you have to serve out of the container and still keep the bag, half-full, in another place, then you’re not really saving any space (or freshness). But also you’ll want to keep in mind that a container that’s too big, filled with a bulk buy (and especially if it’s not air tight), may be getting pretty stale food toward the end of the container. In fact, you’ll need to make an extra effort with bigger containers to cycle through the food on the bottom to ensure you’re not piling new food on top of old and the old becomes no longer safe to eat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to store dog food in a plastic container?
Nearly any plastic container you store your dog’s food in can transfer trace amounts of plastic into the food contained within, given certain circumstances. However, as long as you adhere to proper shelf life and temperature stipulations, there’s every reason to trust your dog’s food will be safe in a plastic container.
If you want to make sure, though, you can opt for a type of plastic listed on the Utah State University’s Extension site. Please note that this is for human food, so naturally our standards are a bit higher than they would be for a dog, but that would certainly be one way to ensure your dog’s food safety. Conversely, you can keep the food in the bag and just place the bag within the storage container. That may seem less neat, but the dog food bag is designed to protect the food from a whole host of outside factors, and taking advantage of that well after purchase can sometimes be the smart move.
How many pounds of dog food does a 55 quart container hold?
Because not all dog food weighs the same per quart, there isn’t a clear cut pound-per-quart ratio for all dog foods. Each kibble weighs differently based on the content. (As a rule, the heavier each kibble weighs, the higher quality.) However, you can make rough estimation on the weight of dog food that can fit into a 55-quart dog food and in doing that, you can assume somewhere around 45 to 50 pounds of dry dog food will fit within that size container.
What temperature should dry dog food be stored?
Three main factors contribute to dog food spoilage: Air, Moisture, and Temperature. You may be tempted to keep your dog’s food in the garage and that may be perfectly fine; But only if your garage meets certain criteria. The food, must remain dry, sealed with limited air exposure, and in a relatively cool environment. There isn’t necessarily a low temperature that you should avoid, (In fact freezing may extend it’s shelf life) but the food should never reach above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. If you live in a temperate climate, with a properly sealed or insulated garage, then it’s a fine place for dog food storage. If that’s not the case, then you’ll want to look elsewhere for storage.
What is the shelf life of dry dog food?
For dry dog food, you can expect to keep it about one year. That is, as long as you keep it in the recommended environment. That means don’t store it in the sun, or you may find it degrading faster and developing bacteria. Don’t mix the new dog food with the old dog food, or you won’t be able to adhere to expiration dates. An airtight container will definitely keep the food fresher for that year length at least, but you will still want to adhere to the expiration dates because a dog will eat food even after it has turned and without someone to explain to you that the food tastes off, you may never know. Better safe than sorry; especially with beloved animals who simply can’t explain their experiences to you.
Other Dog Food Storage Containers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other storage containers for dog food. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best dog food storage containers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing and for your convenience, we’ve broken them into the following categories:
- Airtight Dog Food Storage Containers
- Decorative Dog Food Storage Containers
- Store and Feed Dog Food Storage Containers
- Pouring and Travel Dog Food Storage Containers
Airtight Dog Food Storage Containers
This container rolls for ease of transport and features a handle to make it even easier.
- Includes bonus 1-cup scoop
- BPA Free, FDA-approved food contact safe resin
- Locking seal clasps
This dog food storage option comes on four wheels that will keep food fresh in its airtight seal.
- 25 lb capacity
- Buying options includes 1, 2, 3, and 4 pack
- 14.75″L x 14″W x 16.5″H
This BPA-free plastic dog food storage container is airtight and will keep your pup’s food fresh.
- 5 color choices
- 5 size options
- 19.3″L x 14.8″W x 23.7″H
This airtight storage container will hold up to 15 pounds of food for your dog.
- Includes 1-cup scoop
- 12.5″L x 9.75″W x 13.38″H
- Gasket sealed lid
This airtight storage comes on wheels and is sealed tightly with a pour spout.
- 2 color choices
- 2 size options
- Packs of 1, 2, or 3 available
This is a stack-able dog food storage option that gives (and needs) a little more space between each lid.
- 2 size options
- Available in packs of 1, 2, or 3
- 3 color options
Decorative Dog Food Storage Containers
This is a perfect option to store your little dog’s food on your counter or shelf or just to keep a few days readily available for your larger dog.
- Keeps 17 lb of dog food
- Push top rubber gasket
- 10.5″ L x 10.5″ W x 14″ H
This may not be an airtight option, but it will keep your dog’s food fresh enough for a few days in a beautiful design that will fit into your home’s decor.
- Includes 2 stainless steel bowls
- 15.75″W x 7.25″H x 9.5″D
- Perfect for small to medium dogs
You can keep these bins stored on their backs to keep more inside or stack them for matching food options in your home.
- 3 size options
- Locking door
This dog command center will go with your decor and keep all you need right within reach of your pup’s (included) dog bowls.
- 2 color choices
- 14″W X 24″D X 31 3/4″H
- Solid wood construction
With this dog food storage container, you can display your dog’s food with a pun-ny quote on front: Bone Appetit!
- Includes 1-cup scoop
- Moves on 4 wheels for easy transport
- Holds up to 26 lb dog food
You can slide these dog bowls in and out to make feeding time is the only time you need to worry about the extra space those bowls take.
- 6 stain and color options
- 3 hooks for leashes, collars, and more
- 21.5″W x 13″D x 34″H
This dog food storage is a classic design for your pup’s food that has a cover that snugly secures it within.
- Decorative bone or paw print along side
- 3 size options
- Wipe clean
Store and Feed Dog Food Storage
This dog food storage secures closed with airtight locking handles.
- 3 size options
- 3 color choices
- Nonslip rubber feet
If you just want a few extra meals stored with your dog’s food bowl to make food distribution all the easier, this is the way to go.
- Stores 8lb maximum dog food
- Includes stainless steel dog bowl
- Airtight latch
Pouring and Travel Dog Food Storage Containers
Store and pour your dog’s food with this storage container.
- 8 quart capacity
- Easy-pour lid
- BPA-free, FDA-approved food safe resin
This is perfect for storing your little dog’s food in your pantry or taking with you on the road.
- 4 color choices
- Seal buckles
- Made of recyclable plastic
This storage container for dog food is ultra portable with its travel handle.
- Includes measuring cup
- Hermetic seal buckles
- Easy-grip grooves
This dog food storage container is perfect for your travelling pooch and has space for his food and all his other necessities.
- Includes 2 collapsible bowls
- Can hold up to 30 cups of dog food
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
You can travel with roughly 8 cups of dog food in this airtight dog food storage container.
- 2 color choices
- Airtight seal
- Food and water bowls included