If you are a dog owner that likes to ride a bicycle, a dog bike trailer can enable you to safely bring your dog with you on your bike ride. There are different dog bike trailers available, depending on the size of your dog and what features you need. Some of the dog bikes collapse for easy storage and travel, while others also work as a dog stroller.
We reviewed dozens of dog bike trailers to uncover the best of the best. We looked at each model to see what kind of weight restrictions it has so you know if you can use the trailer for your specific dog, as well as if the specific dog bike trailer is good for small or large dogs. We even looked at dog bike trailers that convert to dog strollers.
Meet the most well-rounded and useful dog bike trailer from Rage Powersports
We choose the Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer as our top pick for the best dog bike trailer available. With its convenient stroller conversion capability and large 20 inch rear wheels, it is a feature-driven option for most bike riders.
In This Article
- The 5 Top-Rated Dog Bike Trailers
- Our Top Pick: Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer
- Our Runner Up Pick: Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension
- Best Budget Pick: Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
- Best Bike Trailer for Large Dogs: Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bicycle Trailer
- Best Bike Trailer for Small Dogs: DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer
- Who Should Buy a Dog Bike Trailer
- Important Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Dog Bike Trailers We Reviewed
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Bike Trailers
|Our Top Pick||Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer||4.6|
|Our Runner Up Pick||Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension||4.4|
|Best Budget Pick||Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer||4.6|
|Best Bike Trailer for Large Dogs||PetSafe Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bicycle Trailer||4.2|
|Best Bike Trailer for Small Dogs||DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer
The Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer is the best dog bike trailer available today. Costing around $175, you can have all of the features you’d expect in a high-end dog bike trailer without overpaying. Its mesh vented windows keep your dog comfortable even on warm summer days.
This dog bike trailer converts to a dog stroller, so you’ll get the functionality of both for the same price. It’s a solid choice for dogs of all sizes, as it has a 130 pound weight limit when used as a trailer and an 85 pound weight limit when used as a stroller. Its universal style hitch works with most 24″ to 28″ bikes.
If you travel on paved roads or bumpy bike trails, this model is a good option. Its large 20″ rear wheels keep your pet far enough off the ground to be comfortable. A 12″ front wheel makes it a more stable trailer on short grass, pebbles, and sidewalks.
Rage Powersports PT-20304-B Blue 2-in-1 Pull-Behind Bicycle Pet Trailer Key Features:
- Mesh vented windows
- Two large 20 inch rear wheels and one 12 inch front wheel
- Universal hitch
- 130 pound weight limit
Our Runner Up Pick: Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension
Look at the Aosom Elite II, a convertible dog bike trailer well worth the price
If you want a reliable dog bike trailer from an industry-leading name, the Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension is a reliable choice available in three different colors: red, white, and blue. It also converts to a dog stroller and has large 20″ wheels. Its frame is made from a lightweight steel that is durable and rust resistant.
This dog bike trailer can safely hold up to 88 pounds. It has three entrance doors, making it easy to get your pet in and out of the trailer. The front wheel can be set as fixed or swivel, depending on how you plan to use the dog stroller.
Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Bike Bicycle Trailer Stroller Jogger w/ Suspension Key Features:
- Three entrances for easy access
- 2-in-1 dog stroller conversion
- Fixed or swivel front wheel
- Large 20″ rear wheels
Best Budget Pick: Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
At less than $85, you’d be hard pressed to find a more affordable dog bike trailer than the Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer. It is manufactured by Schwinn, an industry-leading manufacturer of bicycles and bike accessories. It’s available in fun colors, such as a bright blue or orange.
It is a highly portable steel frame that neatly folds and has quick release wheels that make it easy to transport or store it. It has a number of notable safety features to keep your pet safer, including an adjustable leash length and a non-slip trailer floor. It is rated for pets up to 50 pounds.
Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer Key Features:
- Supports pets up to 50 pounds
- Folds for easy transport and storage
- Non-slip trailer liner is removable and washable
- Adjustable leash length
Best Bike Trailer for Large Dogs: Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bicycle Trailer
Check out the HoundAbout Bicycle Trailer for dogs up to 110 pounds
If you own a large dog, you may feel that your options when it comes to dog bike trailers are limited. The Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bicycle Trailer is an excellent choice for owners of large dogs. It safely supports large pets up to 110 pounds. Its lower design makes it easier to get in and out. Plus, a sunroof that can open enables your pet to look out the top of the dog trailer on your ride.
There are multiple pockets on this large trailers to hold water bottles, treats, and poop bags so you can have easy access to everything that you need on your trip. It is constructed of a 600 d polyester with waterproof floorboards and doors. It even includes a removable, washable cushion for the ultimate in comfort.
Solvit HoundAbout Aluminum or Steel Bicycle Trailer Key Features:
- Removable, washable cushion
- Includes sunroof
- Wider wheel base for added stability
- For dogs up to 110 pounds
Best Bike Trailer for Small Dogs: DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer
Meet the DoggyRide Mini, the perfect solution for small dogs
Owners of small pets have their choice when it comes to dog bike trailers, as small pets are unlikely to be over the weight capacity of any trailer. The DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer is a dog bike trailer specifically made for small pets. It can support dogs up to 55 pounds and under a shoulder height of 15″.
It is extremely easy to fold down the stroller with a release of a pin so you can take this petite dog trailer with you in your car. Its front panel includes a protective rain screen to keep your pet dry and comfortable. If you choose to buy the optional stroller conversion kit, you can store your stroller wheel in the included stroller wheel holder.
DoggyRide Mini Dog Bike Trailer Key Features:
- Folds with the release of a pin
- Includes protective rain screen
- Features wheel holder for stroller wheel
- Optional stroller conversion kit
Who Should Buy a Dog Bike Trailer
A dog bike trailer is most useful for dog owners who also own and ride bicycles. If you rent a bike or only borrow one occasionally, it wouldn’t make sense to purchase a dog bike trailer because you may need a different model based on the wheel size. If you don’t own a bicycle but are looking into a 2-in-1 dog bike trailer and stroller for the stroller function, there are other dog strollers available that might better meet your needs.
Additionally, some bike riders exercise with their dogs running beside them. A dog bike trailer is an excellent option if your dog is older or otherwise not able to keep up with long bike rides. It’s also a way to keep your dog safely contained.
Meet the most well-rounded and useful dog bike trailer from Rage Powersports
Important Features to Consider
A dog bike trailer should have several important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog bike trailer:
- Installation. Some dog bike trailers claim to be universal bike trailers, but may not work with every type of bike. It’s important to verify that any dog bike trailer you want to buy can work with your specific bike model.
- Bug screen. A bug screen can protect your dog from mosquitoes and other bugs while enjoying the ride.
- Weight capacity. Not all dog bike trailers have a large weight capacity so you will need to make sure that any dog bike trailer you use is rated for your dog’s size.
- Suspension. A dog bike trailer with a suspension system will create a smoother ride than a model without one. If you plan to ride on bumpy paths, your dog will certainly appreciate a bike trailer with a good suspension system.
- Collapsing or folding frame. If you need to transport your dog bike trailer in a car to get to a bike trail or store it in a small space, it’s important to choose
- Pneumatic tires. Pneumatic tires are air-filled, as opposed to a solid plastic construction. The tires provide a cushioning effect while you ride your bike and trailer over bumpy roads.
- Canopy. A canopy can protect your dog from the sun or a light rain while traveling in the dog bike trailer.
- Rain cover. A rain cover is a specially designed plastic cover that goes over your dog bike trailer to keep your pet dry when riding in the trailer in the rain.
- Doors. A door provides an easy access point for you to get your dog in and out of the trailer without much hassle.
- Floor construction material. Some dog bike trailers do not have solid floors and instead have a fabric bottom. While this might be okay for some small dogs, a solid floor provides more support for both large and small dogs.
- Leash hooks. A leash hook is how you’ll attach your dog’s leash to the inside of the dog bike trailer. This can prevent your dog from immediately running out of the door when it is opened.
- Adjustable handlebar. For 2-in-1 models that convert to dog strollers, an adjustable handlebar makes it possible to raise or lower the handlebar to match your height so you can push the stroller comfortably.
- Stroller conversion. Some of the dog bike trailers on this list are 2-in-1 models that convert to a dog stroller. If you’re interested in buying a separate dog stroller or would benefit from using a dog stroller once you get to your destination, a 2-in-1 model is a great option that can save you money and space.
- Wheels. You can find dog bike trailers with a wide range of wheel types, including wheels of different heights.
- Shipping. Dog bike trailers tend to be large and relatively heavy. If you order your dog bike trailer online, you’ll need to carefully consider the cost of shipping in your decision of which model to buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a dog bike trailer and how does it work?
A dog bike trailer is a separate compartment on wheels for your dog that attaches to your bicycle. With a dog bike trailer, you tow your pet behind you as you ride your bike. Once you have set up your dog bike trailer, you put your dog inside the trailer usually through a door, attach their leash to the leash hook (if available), and start riding.
What size bike trailer do I need for my dog?
The size bike trailer you need will depend on your dog’s size and weight. Most of the dog bike trailers we evaluated were appropriately sized for medium sized dogs weighing less than 30 pounds. If your dog is smaller than this, you could use any size dog bike trailer. However, if your dog is a large breed, pay special attention to the dimensions of the dog trailer and the weight capacity.
What type of hitch will work for my bike?
A hitch is what will connect the dog bike trailer to your bicycle. A universal hitch is intended to be connected to any bike. However, just because a hitch is advertised as “universal” means it will necessarily work with every bike. Some bike styles, such as certain mountain bikes, will not work with a universal hitch. You will need to confirm that your bike will work with your specific bike trailer.
Some bicycle manufacturers have dog bike trailers with brand-specific hitches and trailers. If you are concerned that you won’t be able to find a dog bike trailer with a hitch that works for your bike, choosing a model manufactured by the same company as your bike can be a smart idea.
In addition, there are certain hitches made by the same manufacturer for different dog bike trailer models. For instance, Aosom offers a Type A and a Type B universal bike trailer hitch coupler, depending on the specific trailer you want to tow.
Why does my trailer tow off to the side of my bicycle?
There are two primary reasons that a dog bike trailer would tow off to the side of your bicycle while you are riding it. First, some trailer manufacturers intentionally design their trailers with the hitch placed on the center line of the trailer and not the center line of the bike. This makes it easier to pull the trailer. Otherwise, when the hitch is angled to hook to the bike, your trailer would drift out of alignment and not travel in a straight line.
If your specific trailer does not have this feature, it’s possible that something is wrong with your set up or that you are going too fast. When you ride your bike with a dog bike trailer attached, it makes it much longer. You may have to ride slower to compensate for this to make it more stable.
Other Dog Bike Trailers We Reviewed
Meet the most well-rounded and useful dog bike trailer from Rage Powersports
We looked at 20 other pet fences. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best pet fences list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Collapsible Dog Bike Trailers
The Burley Tail Wagon is one of our leading choices because it offers a great combination of comfort, utility, and ease-of-use features. The floor is water-resistant and removable for easy washing. The entire wagon is collapsable with quick release tires and modular components that are compatible with stroller kits.
- Fully collapsible
- Quick release tires
- Compatible with stroller kits
- Warranty covers fabric and plastic parts
The Croozer Premium Bike Dog Trailer gives you a good combination of functions that fit multiple situations. The trailer is designed to be extra durable and works as a kennel or carrier. It can also hold dogs up to 100lbs.
- Durable construction
- Converts to kennel carrier
- Secure D-ring tethers
The KARMAS PRODUCT Pet Bike Carrier/Trailer is designed to stand up on its back end, which makes storing it much easier. It has multiple ventilation panels for strong air circulation, as well as built-in front and back safety reflectors.
- Stands upright
- Multiple ventilation panels
- Built-in safety reflectors
- Extra cushioning
Bike Trailers for Small Dogs
The Aosom Elite Pet Bike Carrier/Trailer is better for riding in inclement weather. It has large mesh panels including a front and back door for air circulation. A plastic cover for the front door is also included to protect your pet from the weather.
- Plastic front cover included
- Mesh front and back door
- Holds up to 32lbs
- Leash hook included
For a slightly smaller load, you can try the Aosom Elite-Jr. Dog Pet Bike Trailer. It is a smaller version of the larger carrier and converts to a stroller when you connect a detachable wheel to the front. It is also fully collapsible.
- Fully collapsible
- Smaller and lighter
- Front and back door
- Heavey duty and water-resistant
The Booyah Small Dog Pet Trailer is designed for smaller dogs and for safety. It has built-in safety features like a bright, highly-visible neon green finish, as well as built-in reflectors. It also has a unique 3-layer sunroof that lets you choose how much light and air comes through.
- Specialized attachment posts
- Bright, easy to see color
- Built-in reflectors
- 3-layer sunroof
The DoggyRide Novel Dog Bike Trailer is a great option if you need a lighter trailer when riding. It is made out of a lightweight aluminum frame and a durable canvas top. It has a large built-in storage pouch for transporting pet supplies and keeps your pet comfortable with a padded headrest.
- Quick release wheels
- Padded headrest
- Large rear storage pack
- Aluminum alloy frame
For a more specialized lightweight trailer, try the DoggyRide Novel10 Anniversary Bike Trailer for Pets. It features the same lightweight aluminum design but comes in a special orange finish. It also has an additional rack installed on the top for extra carrying space.
- Carrying rack
- Special orange color
- Supports up to 110lbs
- Removeable wheels to convert to a crate or tent
The Enjoi Pet Bike Trailer has a three-wheel design, which makes it extra stable when riding. It can convert to a stroller and has built-in brakes. It also has large access hatches making it easy to get your pet in and out.
- Three-wheel design
- Compatible with stroller conversion kits
- Built-in brakes for stroller configuration
- Multiple large access hatches
For a smoother ride and easier transportation, try the Sepnine 2 in 1 Small Comfort Bike Trailer. It has a suspension system to give your pet a smoother ride. It also converts to a dog carrier that is light and durable.
- Converts to a dog cage
- Lightweight design
- No tools needed for assembly and conversion
- Added suspension for a smoother ride.
2-in-1 Dog Stroller/Bike Trailers
The Aosom Elite II Pet Dog Trailer has a locking front wheel, which lets you lock it for jogging, swivel for strolling, and raise it for riding. The built-in suspension system helps make the ride much smoother. The pet area is pocketed so that it cradles your pet and makes it more stable.
- Lockable front wheel
- Adjustable handlebar
- Built-in Suspension
- Packeted pet seat
The Booyah Large Pet Trailer is designed for large pets and is wider than most other pet trailers at 34-inches wide. It converts to a stroller and has large openings for easy access. It comes with built-in hand brakes for the rear wheels, and there is a storage attachment in the back for the front wheel when riding.
- Storage for front wheel
- Wide and tall design
- Built-in hand brakes
- Stroller conversion kit
For a good medium weight and sized trailer, try the Booyah Medium Dog Stroller & Pet Bike Trailer. It is designed for medium-sized pets and converts to a stroller. The tires are stronger than on most trailers for added support and cushioning. They are also pneumatic so you can refill them when necessary.
- Rugged pneumatic tires
- Alumnimum components
- 60lb towing limit
- Built-in suspension
If you are new to pet trailers, try the Doggyhut Medium Pet Bike Trailer. It is affordable and has all of the features that you need including a rigid and durable body. The universal bike hitch makes it easy to connect to nearly any bike.
- Powder-coated steel
- Converts to jogger
- Universal bike hitch
- Safety leash included
The Giantex Pet Dog Bike Trailer is a great option if you like to stroll or ride a bike. It quickly converts to a stroller with a built-in hand brake. It also features additional safety devices to keep it from collapsing when in use.
- Collapse-resistant design
- High ride height
- Fast stroller conversion
- Built-in stroller handbrake
For the most versatility in families, you can try the Kimbor 2 in 1 Pet and Baby Trailer. It is designed to accommodate pets and has harnesses for babies to ride in it as well. That way, you can get your dog and your kids out of the house on one bike trip. It is available in neon green and red color schemes that use a lot of white reflective surfaces for added visibility. When used as a stroller, it has a built-in handbrake for added safety. For added comfort, it has a built-in suspension system, 10-inch front swivel wheel, and 20-inch pneumatic tires.
- Fits dogs and kids with harnesses
- Multiple colors available
- Waterproof design
- Sunroof for ventilation
The Septine 2 in 1 Medium Pet Dog Trailer is a great option for daily riding use. It is collapsible and converts to a stroller with an extra long ergonomic handlebar for easy reach. It is also made of steel for an extra durable design. You can carry up to 66 pounds including the trailer, which makes it a great fit for medium-sized pets. It is available in Sepnine’s recognizable red, orange, yellow, and blue color options. The hitch accommodates up to 11mm holes.
- Four color options available
- Converts to stroller
- Steel frame
For added space and features, try the Septine 3 in 1 Luxury Large Pet Bike Trailer. It has an extra tall design with a plastic, weather-proof front flap. It also has a suspension system for added ride comfort, and the stroller handlebar is adjustable for better comfort. This trailer has a boxier design, which opens up more space on the inside for your pet. If you like to match your accessories, the trailer is available in three color options.
- Large dimensions
- Weatherproof front
- Large mesh panels for breathability
- Simple collapse and conversion mechanics
The Sepnine Pet Dog Bike Trailer has six color options to choose from. The front flap is made of clear plastic to protect your pet from road splatter. It also has a universal hitch so that it can attach to nearly any bike. You can choose between a white top, which is rarely seen on other brands, and a fully integrated color top to match the rest of the design. It is equipped with large wheels that make maneuvering the trailer much easier.
- Universal hitch
- Large wheels
- Large windows
- Wind and rain-resistant front panel
You can use the Veelar Doggyhut Medium Pet Bike Trailer as your daily pet transport. It converts to a stroller without the need for tools or other equipment. It also has a powder-coated steel frame for extra durability. It comes in an unusual deep blue finish that you generally don’t see in other places. The floorboard is also covered in an anti-slip material to keep your pet from sliding around inside the trailer.
- Universal hitch
- Powder-coated steel frame
- 55lbs capacity
- No tool assembly