Dog balls are classic, time-tested toys for dogs that can provide hours of fun and excitement. Most dogs love to chase and fetch balls, and many dog balls double up as chew toys to keep your pup happy and engaged. There are lots of dog balls available to choose from, including durable dog balls, squeaker balls, and balls that dispense treats. So, with a little research, you’re sure to find the perfect dog ball for your four-legged friend.
We reviewed dozens of dog balls to identify the best of the best, based on factors including quality, price, features, and Amazon reviews. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-rated dog balls available to buy today.
We’ve identified the Chuckit! Ultra Ball as the best choice for most dogs. It makes our top pick thanks to its durable design, high-quality construction, and budget-friendly price tag. Key features include high-visibility colors, an extra-thick natural rubber core, and a high-impact bounce.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Dog Balls
|Best Overall||Chuckit! Ultra Ball||4.8|
|Runner Up||Our Pets IQ Treat Ball||4.0|
|Best Budget Buy||Chuckit! Max Glow Ball||4.7|
|Best Squeaky Dog Ball||PETIZER Squeaky Dog Ball Toy for Aggressive Chewers||4.6|
|Best Durable Dog Ball||Kong Rubber Ball Extreme||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Chuckit! Ultra Ball
If you’re looking for a virtually indestructible dog ball that will stand the test of time, look no further than the Chuckit! Ultra Ball. It stood out to us above the rest thanks to it’s affordability, durability, and raft of great features.
The Chuckit! Ultra ball is constructed from tough natural rubber with an extra-thick rubber core. It’s easy to clean, light enough to float on water, and has a high-impact bounce that will keep your dog entertained for hours. The ball also features high-visibility colors and is available in a range of sizes. Reviews for the ball are overwhelmingly positive with reviewers praising its design and durability.
Chuckit! Ultra Ball Key Features:
- Made from durable natural rubber
- Virtually indestructible
- Bounces high and floats in water
- High-visibility colors
- Several sizes available
Our Runner Up Pick: Our Pets IQ Treat Ball
The Our Pets IQ Treat Ball is an excellent choice for pet parents looking for a toy that will challenge their dog and keep them active. It is designed to be filled with treats or kibble which are slowly dispensed when the ball is played with.
The ball promotes active feeding, healthy digestion, and mental agility. It is also useful for encouraging dogs to exercise more and interact with their environment. The Our Pets IQ Treat Ball is non-toxic and made from strong, durable plastic. It features a convenient design which twists apart for easy cleaning and adjustable feeding difficulty levels.
Our Pets IQ Treat Ball Key Features:
- Treat-dispensing ball challenges your dog and keeps them active
- Strong, durable construction
- Twists apart for easy cleaning
- Adjustable feeding difficulty levels
- Available in 2 sizes
Best Budget Pick: Chuckit! Max Glow Ball
The Chuckit! Max Glow Ball is our budget pick of the dog balls we looked at. It features a textured surface for a secure grip, and proprietary glow pigment that can be charged in minutes.
The glow in the dark ball is perfect for engaging playtime after dark. It’s also easy to clean, and made with a high-quality, photo-luminescent material that’s both safe and fun for dogs. The ball is available in several sizes and is compatible with Chuckit! Ball Launchers.
Chuckit! Max Glow Ball Key Features:
- Made with safe, high-quality materials
- Photo-luminescent material glows in the dark
- Textured surface for a secure grip
- Affordable price point
Best Squeaky Dog Ball: PETIZER Squeaky Dog Ball Toy for Aggressive Chewers
The PETIZER Squeaky Dog Ball Toy for Aggressive Chewers is made of durable rubber that’s designed to withstand even the most aggressive of chewers. Just take a look at the Amazon customer reviews for proof—there are no shortage of customers who highlight how durable it is! The lightweight rubber material also floats in water and comes in a strong red color which makes spotting it easy.
The ball comes complete with a built-in squeaker that grabs dogs’ interest when playing fetch. It also comes with a spiked design which not only makes playing with it more fun, but also helps to clean your dog’s teeth. Another unique feature of the PETIZER Squeaky Dog Ball Toy for Aggressive Chewers is that you can fill it with your pooch’s fave treats, like pumpkin puree or peanut butter.
PETIZER Squeaky Dog Ball Toy for Aggressive Chewers Key Features:
- Made from durable, long-lasting rubber material
- Floats in water
- Cleans your dog’s teeth
- Built-in squeaker
- Can fill it with your dog’s fave treats
Best Durable Dog Ball: Kong Rubber Ball Extreme
The Kong Rubber Ball Extreme is a rugged, virtually indestructible dog ball that’s specially designed for powerful chewers. It’s made from safe, natural rubber and has a high-impact bounce.
The dog ball is available in 3 sizes, and is the perfect toy for dogs that love to fetch and chew. The majority of reviewers recommend this ball and say it’s tough enough to withstand aggressive chewing from powerful breeds of dog.
Kong Rubber Ball Extreme Key Features:
- Virtually indestructible
- Made from safe, natural rubber
- High-impact bounce
- Available in 3 sizes
Who Should Buy a Dog Ball
A dog ball is an essential item for any energetic dog. They are some of the most fun and versatile dog toys available, and have proved popular for generations of pets and pet parents.
A dog ball can provide hours of excitement for you and your pup, and there are countless products to choose from to suit every budget. Some of the most popular dog balls include durable balls that are great for fetching and chewing, treat dispensing balls that keep your dog mentally active, and squeaker balls that put the fun back into playtime.
If your dog is a particularly aggressive chewer, you may want to check out our review of the Best Indestructible Dog Toys, which looks at a wide variety of toys for the most powerful of chewers.
Important Features to Consider
Dog balls should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a dog ball your pup will love:
- Durability. A good dog ball should be durable enough to withstand daily wear and tear. When choosing a dog ball, consider the size and strength of your dog. While a standard dog ball may be fine for a smaller dog, large dogs are often aggressive chewers with powerful bites. These dogs will need a virtually indestructible dog ball made from tough materials such as reinforced natural rubber.
- Size. Choosing the right size ball is very important for your dog’s safety. A ball of the correct size will also be more enjoyable to play with. When selecting a ball, make sure it is large enough to fit in your dog’s mouth comfortably without posing a choking hazard.
- Type. There are many types of dog ball available to buy today. When choosing the best ball for your dog, consider which features are important to you. If you want to mentally engage your dog at home, a treat dispensing ball is a good option. Balls with a high bounce and those with features such as squeakers or whistlers are great for outdoor games. If your dog loves to chew, choose a tough ball made from durable material. Other features include scented and flavored balls or those with unique textures.
- Color. Dog balls come in a wide range of color combinations to suit every taste. If you plan to use a dog ball outside, consider choosing a ball with high-visibility colors which will make it easy to spot.
- Safety. Look for a dog ball made from safe, non-toxic materials that won’t pose a threat to your pet’s health. FDA approval is a good indicator of the quality of a dog ball.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are normal tennis balls safe for dogs?
It depends on how powerful your dog’s bite is. Normal tennis balls are fine for many small dogs, but they can easily be shredded by more powerful chewers. We recommend supervising your dog at all times with normal tennis balls to ensure they do not pose a choking hazard.
Are rubber balls safe for dogs?
The durability of rubber dog balls can vary widely. While some rubber dog balls are tough enough to withstand aggressive chewing, others can break down in your dog’s mouth and cause an obstruction. As with tennis balls, it’s important to supervise your dog when playing with rubber dog balls to ensure their safety.
Is ball throwing bad for dogs?
No. In moderation, ball throwing is a great way to engage your dog both mentally and physically. Just make sure not to overdo ball games as this can lead to muscle strain and fatigue.
How do I teach my dog to play fetch?
While some dogs will pick up the rules of fetch fairly easily, others will need a little encouragement and demonstration. Effective ways to motivate your dog to fetch include praise, treats, and affection. Always make sure to take things slowly and give your dog plenty of time to figure out the rules of the game.