It’s not uncommon for pets to want to have a taste of the people food. While some food should never be given to dogs, such as chocolate or grapes, chicken jerky is a safe variant, provided that is prepared properly. A dog’s digestive system is quite different from ours and it doesn’t handle well sudden changes, so if you’re about to introduce your dog to a jerky, you need to pay attention to the quality of its ingredients. Any kind of processed food isn’t beneficial for your pet’s health, including food that contains plenty of added flavors or spices. Before you treat your dog with a chicken jerky, be sure to check that it’s made of natural ingredients and free of preservatives and salt.
We looked over dozens of chicken jerky products aiming to find the ones of the highest quality and suitable for any budget. We took into account the products’ ingredients, price, Amazon ratings, and many other features you may consider relevant when selecting the best chicken jerky for your pooch. We picked out top 5 of the best-rated chicken jerky products you can buy for your four-legged friend. If you want to give your dog something that will satisfy their wish to chew and still be a tasty snack, take a look at our best pig ears for dogs or best cow ears for dogs.
In terms of quality of the ingredients and customer satisfaction, Wag Chicken Jerky Dog Treats stands out as a clear winner. This chicken jerky is made of American chicken of the highest quality and it doesn’t contain added grains, artificial flavors, or artificial colors.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Chicken Jerky for Dogs
|Best Chicken Jerky for Dogs Overall||Wag Chicken Jerky Dog Treats||4.6|
|Runner Up||Full Moon All Natural Human Grade Chicken Jerky Dog Treats||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||Buckley Trainers All Natural Grain-Free Dog Training Treats||4.8|
|Best All-Natural Chicken Jerky for Dogs||Farmland Traditions Jerky Treats||4.3|
|Best Chicken Jerky Supplements for Dogs||Nudges Health and Wellness Chicken Jerky Dog Treats||4.6|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change.
Best Chicken Jerky for Dogs Overall: Wag Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
Wag Chicken Jerky Dog Treats are made from whole muscle chicken breast grown right here in the USA. In fact, it’s the #1 ingredient in these tasty treats! They’re free from added artificial flavoring, corn, grains, soy, and wheat, making them a healthy and nutritious snack for your pooch.
Your dog will enjoy their oven-baked taste, while you’ll be sure to appreciate the fact that the ingredients list only features a total of two ingredients. Yes, just two: chicken and vegetable glycerin. The company guarantees that each bag will contain a minimum of 55% crude protein and 2% crude fat, as well as a maximum of 1.5% crude fiber and 18% moisture.
It’s a fantastic time to buy too, as you can get 40% off your first purchase! Plus, with a 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee, what do you have to lose?
Wag Chicken Jerky Dog Treats Key Features:
- Made of all-American chicken
- Free of grains, corn, soy, wheat, as well as artificial flavors and colors
- All ingredients sourced in the USA
- Limited ingredient recipe
- Comes in resealable bag to preserve freshness
- 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee
- 1 oz.
Our Runner-Up Pick: Full Moon All Natural Human Grade Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
Full Moon All Natural Human Grade Chicken Jerky Dog Treats is made of USDA-approved chicken from family farms in the USA. The chicken meat is slowly cooked in the oven to retain its nutritious elements and bring out a rich and hearty flavor. These treats are made using a 4-ingredient formula consisting of chicken, dried cane molasses, vinegar, and rosemary extract.
Full Moon jerky is free of artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors. It also doesn’t contain grain and glycerin. According to the reviews, the jerky is crunchy, but it can be easily broken into pieces. The price starts from $39.
Full Moon All Natural Human Grade Chicken Jerky Dog Treats Key Features:
- USDA-approved chicken from family farms in the USA
- Slowly cooked meat
- 4-ingredient formula: chicken, dried cane molasses, vinegar, and rosemary extract
- Free of artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors
- Free of corn, wheat, soy and glycerin
- 24 oz.
Best Budget Pick: Buckley Trainers All Natural Grain-Free Dog Training Treats
Buckley Trainers All Natural Grain-Free Dog Training Treats works great as a motivational reward that comes in small size but rich taste. It’s made in the USA and it doesn’t contain grain or gluten so dogs can digest it easily. It’s great for keeping your dog in shape as it contains less than 4 calories per treat.
Buckley trainers are made without artificial preservatives or flavors. According to the reviews, their small size and low-calorie level make it an efficient training tool for puppies that doesn’t upset sensitive stomachs. This treat comes at a fairly affordable price of $5.
Buckley Trainers All Natural Grain-Free Dog Training Treats Key Features:
- Made in the USA
- Less than 4 calories per treat
- Free of grain and gluten
- Free of artificial preservatives or flavors
- 6 oz.
Best All-Natural Chicken Jerky for Dogs: Farmland Traditions Jerky Treats
Farmland Traditions Jerky Treats contain only 2 ingredients: a lean chicken breast and vegetable glycerin. It’s made of US-grown chicken and dehydrated up to 16 hours to preserve its taste and nutritional value. Its formula is free of salt and artificial flavors.
Farmland Traditions Jerky Treats are made in Southern California and feature a full muscle protein without grain, soy or corn. According to the reviews, they are of the right size, have chewy texture and don’t crumble. You can get these treats at the price of $27.
Farmland Traditions Jerky Treats Key Features:
- Made of US-grown chicken and vegetable glycerin
- Dehydrated up to 16 hours
- Free of salt and artificial flavors
- Full muscle protein without grain, soy or corn
- Chewy texture
- 3 pounds
Best Chicken Jerky Supplements for Dogs: Nudges Health and Wellness Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
Nudges Health and Wellness Chicken Jerky Dog Treats are made of natural ingredients that are sourced in the USA. This jerky product is packed with protein and slowly dried in the oven to preserve the good taste and high nutritional value. These treats contain glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, which are beneficial for dog’s bones and joints.
The treats are grain-free and contain no artificial flavors, preservatives or animal by-products. They’re easy to tear into bite-sized pieces. The price for this product starts from $27.
Nudges Health and Wellness Chicken Jerky Dog Treats Key Features:
- Made of natural ingredients sourced in the USA
- Slowly dried in the oven
- Contain glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate to improve bone and joint health
- Free of grain, artificial flavors, preservatives or animal by-products
- Tears easily
- 36 oz.
Who Should Buy Chicken Jerky for Dogs
Chicken jerky products work great as a training tool or simply as a motivational reward for your dog. Chicken jerky can also be incorporated into a dog’s diet for health reasons, as there are variations of this product that are beneficial for dog’s bones, joints, skin or coat. However, it’s important to remember that chicken jerky is meant to be used only as a dietary supplement, not as a replacement for food.
When choosing a jerky product for your dog, it’s important to check its ingredients and where it was sourced. During the past years, there has been a mass concern over the quality of jerky treats imported from China. In 2016, The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a report identifying approximately 5200 complaints and more than 1140 related canine deaths from 2007 to the end of 2015. Low quality of ingredients can endanger your dog’s health and even cause death, which is why it’s important to purchase jerky products from reliable manufacturers that use high-quality meat.
Important Features to Consider
A chicken jerky product should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a chicken jerky for your pooch:
- Natural ingredients. Before introducing your dog to a chicken jerky, it’s important to check the ingredients. Any kind of processed food can be hard to digest for your dog and can upset their stomach, so it should never be a part of their diet. Also, a chicken jerky should be free of any artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Grain food can also be difficult for a dog to digest, such as corn, soy or wheat. Another ingredient to watch out for in a chicken jerky is salt. Consuming too much salt affects dog’s digestive system in a negative way and can cause many health issues. Sodium poisoning can lead to diarrhea, vomiting, increased heart rate, muscle spasms, and even death. For that reason, it’s extremely important to refrain from salty products when choosing a chicken jerky. Most of all, you should choose a jerky made from actual chicken meat. It should contain pure, full muscle protein and be naturally dehydrated. Be sure to always purchase chicken jerky products from a certified seller.
- Different texture to meet different needs. A chicken jerky is usually tough because it’s supposed to last a certain period of time and endure your dog’s chewing. However, there are jerky options that have a soft texture that’s quite easy to chew and that doesn’t last for too long. This type of jerky is beneficial if you have a dog with dental problems or a dog that’s missing some teeth, so that they can enjoy their treats without difficulties with chewing.
- Easy to tear. Chicken jerky products come in different sizes and while some are small and don’t need to be torn in bite-sized pieces, many others come in the shape of sticks, so they need to be broken into smaller chunks for your dog to be able to chew them. For that reason, it’s important to get jerky treats that are easy to tear into smaller pieces so that your pooch can enjoy them.
- Health benefits. There are special types of chicken jerky products intended for dogs with various health issues. Chicken jerky products can be used as a dietary supplement to help maintain good health of joints, skin or coat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are chicken jerky treats safe for dogs?
Chicken jerky treats are safe for dogs provided that they are made properly. You should pay attention to whether they are made from actual chicken meat and where that meat comes from. A properly made chicken jerky should contain a full muscle protein and be naturally dehydrated so that it retains its nutritional value. It should also be free of preservatives, artificial flavors, spices, and salt, as all these ingredients may upset your dog’s stomach.
Is it okay to feed my dog chicken every day?
Chicken provides dogs with many benefits. It’s packed with protein that boosts energy, it builds lean muscle mass, and it contains plenty of Omega 6 fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat. However, a dog’s diet that’s based only on chicken is extremely unbalanced and it can lead to health issues. Experts suggest feeding your dog a small portion of boiled, skinless chicken along with your dog’s regular food once or twice a week. Alternatively, you can use a bit of cooked chicken as a reward during training. If you’ve run out on ideas for training treats, take a look at our list of healthy training treats for dogs.
How do you store dehydrated chicken treats for dogs?
You shouldn’t leave dehydrated chicken treats exposed to air as it will only speed up the process of food degrading and it may increase the risk of bacteria growth. Sealing the treats in a container will prevent exposure to air and humidity and preserve its nutritious substances and good taste. You can put the treats directly into a metal container, but if you choose a plastic one, it’s a good idea to leave them in the original bag and place the bag in the container to create an ideal environment.
Is chicken jerky hard for dogs to chew?
Many chicken jerky products have a soft texture that’s easy for dogs to chew. They can be torn into smaller pieces to be used as training treats. Also, they can be particularly beneficial for dogs that are missing teeth or have other dental problems as they make the chewing process much easier. If your dog is an enthusiastic chewer, you can also consider our list of best rawhide treats for dogs.