If somebody told you that a single product could help pets with all kinds of problems from skin irritation to pain to anxiety, you’d probably think they were talking nonsense, but CBD for pets delivers on these promises. Derived from the cannabis plant but completely non-psychoactive, CBD reacts with the endocannabinoid system that exists in almost all animals (only insects appear to lack it) to produce a range of positive effects, such as calming, pain relief, and exterior healing when used topically.
We reviewed dozens of different types of CBD for pets to identify the best of the best, comparing various factors, such as strength, formulation, overall quality, and average customer reviews.
After careful consideration, we chose The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils as our top pick. CBD oil tends to be the most versatile choice and is easy to adjust the dosage for pets of different sizes. This is a high quality CBD oil you can trust that’s rich in the active ingredients of CBD, such as cannabinoids and terpenes.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated CBD for Pets
|Best Overall||The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils||4.8|
|Best CBD Oil for Pets||CBDFx CBD Oil For Small Dogs and Cats||4.9|
|Best Budget CBD for Pets||Charlotte's Web Calming Chews for Dogs||4.1|
|Best Topical CBD for Pets||Charlotte's Web Canine Hemp Infused Balm||5.0|
|Best CBD Capsules for Pets||HolistaPet CBD Capsules for Dogs & Cats||4.8|
*Ratings are current at the time of publication and can change
Best CBD for Pets Overall: The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils
If you want a high-quality, multipurpose CBD product, The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils are the way to go. The Anxious Pet is known for their premium health-focused pet products, and their range of hemp oils for pets is no exception. They’re produced using full-spectrum hemp extract containing less than 0.3% THC. CBD oils can have many benefits for your cat or dog including, but not limited to: boosting their immune health, strengthening their bone and joint health, and calming their anxiety.
We love that The Anxious Pet clearly takes the utmost care to create the most optimal pet CBD products possible. This is exemplified by the fact that each CBD oil is not only veterinarian formulated and lab tested, but is also organic. The company even has a Scientific Advisory Board made up of leading veterinarians, scientists, and nutrition experts to ensure the quality, safety, and efficacy of their CBD oils (as well as their other products).
In the range, you’ll find a total of three options to choose from: 400 mg Organic Hemp Oil (For Cats), 400 mg Organic Hemp Oil (For Dogs), and 800 mg Organic Hemp Oil (For Dogs). US customers can enjoy fast and free shipping, with no-contact delivery as standard. Each bottle is 30 mL in total and costs $48, which is great value in comparison to other comparable CBD oils for pets—particularly when you consider the high-quality of these products! So if you’re curious to give CBD products for your pet a go, we believe that The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils are the best place to start.
The Anxious Pet Organic Hemp Oils Key Features:
- Veterinarian formulated
- Two strengths available: 400 mg or 800 mg
- 3rd party tested
Best CBD Oil for Pets: CBDFx CBD Oil For Small Dogs and Cats
A high-quality and safe CBD oil for your cat or dog that’s completely free of cheap fillers or additives.Check Price
CBDFx CBD Oil For Small Dogs and Cats ticks all the boxes you could be looking for in a CBD oil for pets. For starters, it’s from a reputable company like CBDFx, which has quickly become a go-to company for CBD products for pets and humans alike. And once you discover more about this CBD oil, which contains 150mg of CBD per 30ml bottle, it’s easy to see why.
For starters, it exclusively features high-quality ingredients. In fact, the formulation is so pure you’ll only find a total of three ingredients in each bottle: CO2 extracted hemp, 100% organically grown full-spectrum CBD, and coconut oil. So that means you won’t need to worry about your pup or kitty ingesting cheap fillers, additives, or any other nasty ingredients every time you give them a dose.
Similar to our very top choice, CBDFx CBD Oil For Small Dogs and Cats is also lab tested for purity. The company is so transparent about the results of these tests that you can read the reports on directly their site. The fact that they do so speaks volumes about this CBD oil’s purity and safeness. So if you’re after a CBD oil for your cat or dogs that weighs under 20 lbs, don’t look past this one.
CBDFx CBD Oil For Small Dogs and Cats Key Features:
- Contains 150 mg CBD
- Organically grown
- 3rd party tested
Best Budget CBD for Pets: Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs
These inexpensive treats are a great intro into the world of CBD for pets.Check Price
Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs are a great primer into CBD for pets without needing to spend too much. They’re primarily designed for calming and anxiety relief but it follows they may offer some pain relief, too. Despite their affordable price these treats are surprisingly potent. Each treat contains 5 mg of broad spectrum hemp extract, of which at least 2.5 mg is naturally occurring phytocannabinoids, including CBD. They also contain a range of other naturally calming ingredients: Valerian root, passion flower extract, and chamomile.
Thanks to their chicken flavor, these treats are highly palatable and dogs are unlikely to pass them up. They can really help anxious dogs, with plenty of users singing their praises and talking about how calmer their dogs are after eating these treats. A pack of 30 treats costs $20, which is very reasonably considering their quality ingredients.
Charlotte’s Web Calming Chews for Dogs Key Features:
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes, just adjust the dosage accordingly
- Made using hemp grown in the USA
- Improves calm both out and about and at home
Best Topical CBD for Pets: Charlotte’s Web Canine Hemp Infused Balm
A soothing balm to heal dry skin.Check Price
Topical CBD treatments are those used externally on your pet, such as the Charlotte’s Web Canine Hemp Infused Balm, which is our favorite topical CBD for pets. The combination of broad spectrum CBD oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil and shea butter create a protective and moisturizing barrier that remains on the surface of the skin. Its primary use is for dry and cracked skin, but it can also provide much needed relief for irritated skin. In addition to moisturizing and helping with faster healing, the CBD is also likely to offer some topical pain relief.
This balm is safe for dogs with sensitive skin. A 1.5 oz pot costs $24.99 but a little goes a long way.
Charlotte’s Web Canine Hemp Infused Balm Key Features:
- Contains 450 mg of broad spectrum CBD in the whole container
- Formula is moisturizing and healing
- Additional ingredients include coconut oil, jojoba oil and shea butter
Best CBD Capsules for Pets: HolistaPet CBD Capsules for Dogs & Cats
Hemp extract contained inside capsules for easier dosing.Check Price
If you’d like to give your pet CBD oil but are worried about getting the dosage right, CBD capsules do the hard work for you, avoiding any dosing errors. HolistaPet CBD Capsules for Dogs & Cats contain 5 mg of CBD per capsule and these full spectrum CBD capsules are highly effective for dogs and cats. For proper recommended dosage read HolistaPet’s CBD dosage chart.
These capsules also contain hemp seed powder as a carrier, which is rich in omega fatty acids, protein, and antioxidants, so it’s good for your dog all round. The formula is perfect for dogs who are suffering from arthritic joint pain, or severe anxiety. The CBD in the capsules is completely THC-free, so you don’t need to worry about any unwanted effects. A pack of 30 capsules costs $25.95.
HolistaPet CBD Capsules for Dogs & Cats Key Features:
- Made with all natural ingredients
- Vegan capsules don’t contain animal gelatin
- No additives or preservatives and free of GMO and Gluten
Who Should Buy CBD for Pets
People buy CBD for pets for a variety of reasons. One of the most common is for pain relief, often from arthritis, but you can use CBD for general pain relief, too (though if you don’t know why your pet is hurting, a trip to the vet is warranted first). You might also want to try CBD for your pet due to anxiety. This might be general anxiety, separation anxiety, or phobias, such as loud noises. CBD has natural calming properties, so many pet parents find it’s helpful for their pet’s anxiety.
Important Features to Consider
CBD for pets should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a CBD for your pet:
- Type of CBD product. First of all, decide what type of CBD product you want to give your pet. The most common types are CBD oil, CBD treats, CBD capsules, and topical CBD products. CBD oil is the most versatile and makes it easy to adjust the dose so it’s right for your pet. CBD capsules are great of you want the benefits of CBD oil but without the possible error of getting the dosage wrong, though this means you can’t adjust the dose as easily. CBD treats are great for occasional use or if your dog only needs low dose CBD but can work out quite costly otherwise. Topical CBD treatments work well for hot spots, irritated skin, and other external ailments.
- Strength. We’ll talk more about dosage later, but it’s important to choose the right strength of CBD products for the size of your pet. For items such as treats, you’ll usually be told the amount of CBD contained in one treat and in the package overall. With CBD oil, the amount of CBD in the whole bottle is listed, and the amount per ml may or may not be included. You can, however, work out the amount of CBD per ml but dividing the total amount of CBD in the bottle by the number of ml.
- Reason for use. Some CBD for pets is designed for specific uses. For instance, some CBD treats are marketed as calming treats, for anxiety, and others are advertised as helping with joint pain. These types of products often contain other ingredients to boost calming or pain relief, but any CBD has more or less the same effect.
- Ease of administering. Choose a CBD product that will be easy to give to your pet. If using CBD oil, you may need to squirt it straight into your dog’s mouth, which can be a challenge with some dogs. You have the option to mix it with food, but if your dog doesn’t eat up their whole meal, some will be wasted and you won’t know how much they consumed. CBD treats are generally easy to administer, though you may have problems if your dog is a picky eater.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much CBD should I give my pet?
You’ll need to work out the correct CBD dosage based on your pet’s body weight. Most CBD products will list their recommended dosage on the package, but recommendations can vary. A low yet still effective dose to start with is 0.2 mg of CBD per lb of body weight. So, a 50 lb dog would need 10 mg of CBD per day, for example. However, if you don’t notice any improvement after a few weeks, you can increase this gradually up to a maximum of 0.5 mg per lb of body weight.
For more on how much to give to your dog and when, check out our article, CBD Dosage For Dogs: How Much CBD Should I Give My Dog?
Is CBD safe for pets?
Yes, CBD is very safe for pets. There are no serious side-effects if you stick to the correct dosage, and even an overdose is unlikely to result in more than excessive drowsiness, an unsteady walk, and perhaps some vomiting. You must, however, make sure it contains no THC or a very small amount of THC (no more than 0.2 mg per 30 ml) since the psychoactive effects can feel confusing and unpleasant for pets.
Can I give my pet human CBD?
In theory, yes (with a few caveats), but in practice we’d highly recommend sticking to CBD that’s made specifically for pets. The problem with CBD products for humans is that they’re stronger than those designed for pets, so you’d need to be extremely careful with dosage, especially for a small pet. What’s more, they can contain ingredients that are unsafe or even toxic for pets, such as artificial sweeteners or alcohol. As such, if you must give a pet human CBD, first check the ingredient list thoroughly to ensure there’s nothing in it your pet shouldn’t consume.
How long does it take CBD to work?
When administering CBD to calm your pet and relieve anxiety, you should see results in as little as 30 to 60 minutes. However, for long term pain relief, it can take as long as 2 to 4 weeks for the full effects to show themselves.
Other CBD for Pets We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other CBD products for pets. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best CBD for pets list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
CBD Oil for Pets
A CBD oil that’s formulated with pure CO2 extracted Full Spectrum CBD Oil and Hemp Seed Oil.
- 100% Non-GMO and Organic
- Uses Full Spectrum CBD and other Cannabinoids
- Vegan and cruelty free formula
Cost: $25.95 to $144.95
Quality THC CBD oil for pets in an olive oil carrier that’s available in 225 and 450 mg strengths.
- Premium grade, broad spectrum CBD
- Lab tested
- Made in the USA
Cost: $30 to $54
The 125 mg strength is ideal for cats. The broad spectrum CBD oil sits in a coconut oil carrier, which has a range of health benefits of its own. Don’t forget to use their discount code PL20 to get 20% off your purchase!
- Made with organic hemp
- Veterinarian approved
- Test by a third party
A top notch mid-strength CBD oil that’s made using USDA certified organic full spectrum hemp grown in the USA.
- 300 mg CBD per bottle
- Olive oil carrier
This tincture is designed for pets up to 40 lbs and is great for joint health due to the high fatty acid content of the carrier oil.
- Made with natural, organic ingredients
- Suitable for all kinds of small pets
- Contains 16 mg per dose
CBD Pet Treats
Theses CBD treats flavored with beef, making them a palatable choice for dogs who’ll never know they’re getting their “medicine” in the form of a tasty treat.
- Made using broad spectrum CBD
- Contains premium grade ingredients
- CBD absorbs into the bloodstream quickly for fast-acting effects
Tasty peanut butter and green apple flavor chews that are highly palatable to most dogs and contain 5 mg of CBD per treat with roughly 30 treats per bag.
- Designed to calm and relax dogs
- Also contains Chamomile and L-Theanine to reduce anxiety
- Recipe superfoods like Hemp Seed Powder and Pure CBD Oil
If your dog’s suffering from stiff joints or arthritis, she may benefit from these CBD treats specially formulated for dogs with hip and joint troubles.
- 30 chews per pack
- 5 mg hemp extract per treat with at least 2.5 mg of cannabinoids
- Also contains glucosamine and chondroitin
Soft, chewy CBD dog treats in a tasty pizza flavor with the option of 2 or 5 mg strengths per treat.
- Made with USDA organic hemp grown in Colorado
- Full spectrum hemp oil
- Grain free
Cost: $10 to $29
For dogs who prefer crunchy treats to soft chews, these are a great choice. They’re available in 1.5 mg dosage for small dogs and 3 mg dosage for medium and large dogs.
- Two flavor options
- Smaller trial size available
- Made with human grade ingredients
Topical CBD for Pets
This plant-based topical cream is great for skin irritation, inflammation, insect bites, and more, containing 31 mg of full spectrum CBD.
- Made using USDA certified organic hemp
- Gentle and moisturizing
- Uses a proprietary strain
Other CBD for Pets
Thanks to the proprietary nano CBD contained in this product, it’s easily infused in this catnip spray.
- Nanotechnology enhances CBD up to 5X
- Spray on toys or scratching posts
- Free of additives and preservatives
This bundle of goodies includes CBD treats, CBD oil, and a Charlotte’s Web bandanna for your dog, plus it helps support Freedom Service Dogs of America.
- Treats for hip and joint health
- Chicken flavored CBD oil
- 5% of all sales goes to Freedom Service Dogs of America