Many pet owners brush their pet’s teeth in an effort to save on the expensive pet dental that most veterinarians recommend. And when done properly, brushing your cat’s teeth delays or stops the onset of tooth decay. Kibble leaves a residue behind on teeth, so brushing your cat’s teeth is advisable. When you feed fresh, low-carbohydrate food, you’re less likely to need to brush. Likewise, when feeding raw meaty bones. But having a good cat toothbrush on hand can help save your kitty’s teeth.
We looked at dozens of cat toothbrushes to determine which is the best. We looked at a number of different toothbrushes, grouping them by style. From there, we chose the ones we liked the best based on what is the most effective brush, but yet liked by cats.
We chose H&H Pets Dog Toothbrush and Cat Toothbrush Dual Head as our overall favorite because it gives you the option of using either a large or small head of bristles, depending on the size of your pet’s mouth. And hundreds of pets don’t seem to mind the toothbrush.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Toothbrushes
|Best Cat Toothbrush Overall||H&H Pets Dog Toothbrush and Cat Toothbrush Dual Head||4.2|
|Best Cat Finger Toothbrush||Petosan Microfiber Fingerbrush Oral Cleaner for Pets||4.2|
|Best Budget Cat Toothbrush||PenVinoo Pet Toothbrush Finger Toothbrush||4.5|
|Best Interactive Cat Toothbrush||SEGMINISMART Cat Toothbrush Toy||4.5|
|Best Cat Toothbrush & Toothpaste Set||Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Kit||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cat Toothbrush Overall: H&H Pets Dog Toothbrush and Cat Toothbrush Dual Head
The H&H Pets Dog Toothbrush and Cat Toothbrush Dual Head comes as a 4-pack, and is offered in two different colors. Each brush has a long handle with bristles on either end. One end of the toothbrush has a full-size head for larger mouths, such as cats weighing more than 15 pounds. The other end features a smaller head of bristles, optimal for cats weighing less than 15 pounds. The multi-pack gives you the option of using one toothbrush per pet, depending on how many you have. Or store a few brushes for later use.
Each long-handle toothbrush in this 4-pack features an angled end. Thanks to the slightly angled head, it’s easier to brush your cat’s teeth. The angle helps access teeth that might otherwise be difficult to reach. The bristles are designed to be firm, but gentle on the gums. H&H offers a 60-day, money-back guarantee, and also donates 15 percent of the purchase to animal rescue organizations.
H&H Pets Dog Toothbrush and Cat Toothbrush Dual Head Key Features:
- 60-day, money-back guarantee
- 15 percent of profits are donated to animal rescue
- Large and small head of bristles
- Pack of four
- Angled heads
Best Cat Finger Toothbrush: Petosan Microfiber Fingerbrush Oral Cleaner for Pets
The best cat finger toothbrush we found is the Petosan Microfiber Fingerbrush Oral Cleaner for Pets because it’s made from a soft, flexible material. Many finger brushes are made from a thick silicone, and may not fit inside the cheek of a smaller cat. The thin fabric of this finger brush allows you an easier way to brush her teeth. Made from microfiber, this finger brush conforms to your finger, so it’s not much bigger than your finger. The accompanying loop secures the finger brush to your adjacent finger.
The nature of the microfiber creates an optimal material for cleaning. Gently wipe your cat’s teeth with the microfiber to remove loose food particles and help reduce plaque. Rinse the fabric brush in lukewarm water while using it. Petosan offers two microfiber finger brushes – use one while the other one is in the wash. When it’s time to clean the microfiber finger brush, hand wash it with mild soap and rinse thoroughly.
Petosan Microfiber Fingerbrush Oral Cleaner for Pets Key Features:
- Gentle on gums
- Easy to clean
- Loop secures brush to finger
Best Budget Cat Toothbrush: PenVinoo Pet Toothbrush Finger Toothbrush
The best budget cat toothbrush is the PenVinoo Pet Toothbrush Finger Toothbrush variety pack because the pack features more than one type of toothbrush, which helps when you aren’t sure which one your cat will like. Eight toothbrushes come in this variety pack – four long, dual-head toothbrushes and four colorful finger brushes. If you have multiple cats or pets, the assorted colors aid in identifying which brush belongs to which pet.
The dual-head toothbrushes have long handles that measure 8.5 inches in length. They each feature a large head of bristles on one end and a small head of bristles on the other end. The finger brushes are soft and flexible, making them gentle on your cat’s teeth and gums. These brushes fit right over your finger so you have more control when brushing your kitty’s teeth.
PenVinoo Pet Toothbrush Finger Toothbrush Key Features:
- Contains a variety of colors
- Long toothbrushes are 8.5 inches long
- Silicone finger toothbrushes are soft and flexible
- Multiple bristle types
Best Interactive Cat Toothbrush: SEGMINISMART Cat Toothbrush Toy
For cats who just don’t like having a toothbrush put in their mouth, try a soft, chewable toy that doubles as a brush that cleans your kitty’s teeth. Our favorite interactive cat toothbrush is the SEGMINISMART Cat Toothbrush Toy. This 2-pack of chewable toys includes two dolphins that measure just over 6.5 inches in length. Each dolphin toothbrush is made with food-grade silicone, and covered in raised bumps, which help clean your kitty’s teeth as she chomps on her toy.
To entice your kitty to like the toy, the two silicone dolphins come with four packs of powdered catnip. Place a catnip sachet inside the belly of the dolphin. The tiny holes on each side of the chewable toy allow the scent of catnip to waft through and encourage your cat to chew on the toy. This interactive cat toothbrush is easy to clean – take out the catnip bag, and wash the toy with mild soap and warm water, then rinse thoroughly. Alternatively, after removing the catnip bag, place the toy in the dish washer.
SEGMINISMART Cat Toothbrush Toy Key Features:
- Food-grade silicone
- Catnip refills included
- Dishwasher safe
Best Cat Toothbrush & Toothpaste Set: Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Kit
Though you can use a cat toothbrush without using toothpaste, some folks prefer to put paste on the brush. Our favorite cat toothbrush and toothpaste set is the Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Kit. This set includes a dual-head toothbrush, as well as a finger brush that can also be used with the toothpaste. The toothpaste contains enzymes that help break down bacteria in the mouth. It comes in a poultry flavor many pets seem to love.
This kit offers you the chance to try different types of toothbrushes to see what your cat will like or tolerate. The dual-head toothbrush has a long handle. At one end is a small head of bristles, and at the other end is a larger head of bristles. Both ends are slightly angled to help reach your cat’s teeth easier. And if you want to use something different, the finger brush is another option for cleaning your kitty’s teeth. It just slips on over your finger, and the finger brush itself is easy to clean.
Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Kit Key Features:
- Dual-head, angled toothbrush
- Finger brush
- Enzymatic toothpaste
- Poultry flavor toothpaste
Who Should Buy a Cat Toothbrush
Many veterinarians recommend brushing your pet’s teeth to help reduce plaque and prevent gingivitis. It is estimated that more than half of cats over the age of three years have some form of periodontal disease. Visit with your veterinarian to determine the health of your cat’s mouth.
A cat toothbrush is a wise tool to keep in your kitty supplies. Having more than one in your cabinet might be wiser, since most pets like to take a big chomp when you’re attempting to brush their teeth, which tends to shorten the life of the toothbrush. But with a variety of brushes to choose from, you’re sure to have the right tool for the job.
Important Features to Consider
A cat toothbrush should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cat toothbrush:
- What type of toothbrush to use. Choosing a cat toothbrush is fairly easy, because in the end, it’s up to your cat. And you won’t know until you’ve tried one. But figuring out a few things can help narrow down your choice. Dual-head toothbrushes offer the option of two different sizes of bristle heads. This is convenient if you have more than one pet, and need different sizes. Or if you’re just not sure which size is best. Other toothbrushes feature only one head of bristles, but might be flat, round, cylindrical, or oblong. These types offer different strategies for effectively reaching your cat’s teeth. Another popular toothbrush type for cats is the finger brush. Just as it sounds, it’s a toothbrush that fits over your finger. For a more hands-off approach, choose cat toys that also double as oral care.
- What the toothbrush is made of. Cat toothbrushes are typically made from human-grade materials such as BPA-free plastic or food-grade silicone. Bristles are either nylon or silicone. Long-handle toothbrushes are usually made with plastic, and have nylon bristles – ranging from firm to extra soft. Though you might find a silicone brush with a long handle, most silicone bristle heads are in the form of the finger brush. The typical silicone finger brush is soft, flexible, and has short silicone teeth. Other silicone cat toothbrushes are chewable cat toys. If your cat has extra sensitive gums or is already fighting an advanced stage of dental disease, opt for a cat toothbrush with soft, nylon bristles or one made out of silicone.
- Dry brush or toothpaste? Depending on the current health of your cat’s teeth, you may or may not choose to use cat-friendly toothpaste. The act of brushing is often enough to loosen stuck food, so long as it’s done on a regular basis. For cats who might have worsening oral health, a pet-friendly enzymatic toothpaste can help break down the bacteria in the mouth. Cats on a high-carbohydrate diet are more likely to need their teeth brushed, and more often. Never use human toothpaste for your pets – they often have harmful or deadly ingredients for our pets.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use a cat toothbrush?
Brushing your pet’s teeth doesn’t have to be difficult. Many pets come to enjoy having their teeth brushed, once they realize it’s not an evil torture device, like the vacuum.
After you’ve decided which type of cat toothbrush you want to use, introduce it to your cat. Let him sniff it and inspect it. Slowly get him used to it. Likewise, gradually get your cat used to you opening his mouth and lifting his lips. Once you have established an enjoyable training routine, use the cat toothbrush as you would a regular toothbrush for yourself. Gently brush the bristles along the gumline to remove food particles.
Can I use a human toothbrush on my cat?
Cats require a smaller toothbrush due to their size. Some children’s toothbrushes are small enough to use in place of a cat toothbrush. The bristles on human toothbrushes also range from firm to extra soft. When selecting a toothbrush for your cat, consider the size of the head and the texture of the bristles. The toothbrush head should be small, and the bristles should be gentle on your kitty’s gums.
How often do you need to brush your cat’s teeth?
Most veterinarians recommend brushing your pet’s teeth at least every other day. Some state that daily is preferable, while others state to brush a few times per week. Monitor the progress of your cat’s oral health, and discuss with your veterinarian the best solution for your cat.
How do you get plaque off a cat’s teeth?
Plaque is the hardened substance that gets stuck to teeth if it doesn’t get brushed off first. So prevention is key to the best oral health. Many veterinarians recommend a dental cleaning to remove plaque from your cat’s teeth. Other ways to help get plaque off include: feed a fresh homemade diet, brush or wipe off your cat’s teeth after meals, drop bee propolis along the gumline a few times per week, invest in cat chew toys that aid in gently scraping the teeth, or consider a water additive that helps loosen plaque so you can more easily brush it away.
Other Cat Toothbrushes We Reviewed
We checked out 20 other cat toothbrushes. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best cat toothbrushes list, they’re still great options for your kitty. The information you need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Small Cat Toothbrushes
- Chewable Cat Toothbrushes
- Cat Toothbrush Variety Packs
- Cat Toothbrushes with 360-degree Bristles
- Cat Toothbrush and Toothpaste Sets
- Other Cat Toothbrushes
Small Cat Toothbrushes
Brush your cat’s teeth with a double-sided, silicone-head brush that has soft teeth on one side and soft nubs on the other.
- 4-pack of brushes
- Handle is just under 6 inches in length
- Curved handle
The Kittyteeth pet toothbrush has a small head of shortened bristles, making it easier to get the brush in between your cat’s cheek and teeth.
- Made in the USA
- BPA free
- Ultra soft bristles
This pet toothbrush has a round head of bristles, with an angled handle.
- Replacement head included
- Long bristles
- Angled head
Made for pets under 7 pounds, this micro-head toothbrush features four small bunches of bristles.
- Head has a 15-degree angle
- Nylon bristles
- ABS resin handle
This small but long-handled toothbrush has a small head of tightly packed bristles.
- Just over 6 inches long
- Soft bristles
- Small, oblong bristle head
Chewable Cat Toothbrushes
Made with food-grade silicone, this chewable toothbrush holds catnip and a jingle ball to make teeth brushing fun for your cat.
- Shaped like a crayfish
- Just over 6 inches in length
- Easy to clean
Help clean your cat’s teeth with a chewable toy that’s covered in raised, rounded teeth, and entices your cat with catnip.
- Natural, non-toxic rubber
- Shaped like a crayfish
- Comes with catnip sachets and jingle bell
Entice your cat to brush his teeth with a rubber fish that houses catnip, but is covered in rubber teeth.
- 100 percent natural, non-toxic rubber
- Shaped like a fish
- Comes with jingle ball
Cat Toothbrush Variety Packs
The EC Markt toothbrush kit contains an array of teeth cleaning tools, including dual bristle-end brushes and soft, silicone brushes.
- Interactive chewable ball
- Flat, silicone-bristle brushes
- Finger brushes
This toothbrush set includes four long, dual-head toothbrushes, as well as two plastic, two silicone, one bendable, and one special PoshWag finger brush.
- Long and short bristles included
- FDA-grade material
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
This oral hygiene kit for cats includes toothpaste, a small toothbrush with a small, round head of bristles, and a finger toothbrush.
- Enzymatic toothpaste
- Seafood flavor
- Multiple brushes
Cat Toothbrushes with 360-degree Bristles
Brush more of your cat’s teeth using a brush that has a full head of silicone-coated bristles.
- FDA food-grade and BPA-free silicone
- Core of the handle is stainless steel
- Multiple colors available
Micro-thin bristles cover multiple sides of the toothbrush head, covering more area in your kitty’s mouth.
- Cylinder head
- Toothbrush is 6 inches long
- Brush head is .57 inches in diameter
The VturboWay 360-Degree Pet Toothbrush contains very soft bristles all the way around the head of the brush for 360-degree cleaning.
- Ergonomic handle
- Handle is 6 inches long
- Super fine bristles
Cat Toothbrush and Toothpaste Sets
The CET toothbrush set features a small handle toothbrush with a small head of bristles.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste set
- Soft bristles
- Angled head
This Nylabone oral hygiene kit includes a toothbrush that features extra soft nylon bristles surrounded by rubber teeth.
- Comfort-grip, long-handled toothbrush
- Finger toothbrush
- Toothpaste made in the USA
The toothbrush in this kit has a unique dual head where the bristles form an angle to wrap around the teeth.
- For pets under 14 pounds
- Includes toothpaste
- Medium length handle
Other Cat Toothbrushes
The H&H cat finger toothbrush features flat bristles that are flexible, and conform with the curve of your finger.
- Pack of four
- 60 days money-back guarantee
- 15 percent of your purchase is donated to animal non-profits
This finger and thumb glove features a finger and thumb tip that double as a toothbrush, with textured ends.
- Fits thumb and first finger, around the wrist
- Finger and thumb brush ends
- Gentle on gums
This dual-head toothbrush offers two different sizes on a long, easy to use, handle.
- Handle is 8.5 inches long
- Set of six
- 15 percent of profits are donated