Finding the right litter box or litter pan for your cat will make both of your lives easier. The litter box you should use varies depending on the size of your cat, their litter habits, your preferences, and aesthetics, which makes finding the right one a challenge. Some cats love to kick their litter and make a mess, and there’s nothing worse than having to clean up a pile of litter outside of the box. To minimize clean up, you’ll need the right litter box for your unique cat.
It can be difficult to find the perfect litter box, so we reviewed dozens of cat litter boxes and litter pans to find the best, highest quality, and most durable based on their prices, design, ratings, and whether they were self-cleaning. We narrowed our search down to 5 of the top-rated litter boxes and pans that cat owners can buy for their favorite pet.
The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is the perfect litter box for just about any cat. It’s spacious enough for large cats to use with no problems, and they’ll have no problem fitting through the door opening. It offers the privacy that most cats prefer when doing their business, yet the hood lifts up effortlessly, making it very easy to clean. This product also comes equipped with a carbon-trapping filter that eradicates all unpleasant odors, making it perfect for all cat owners.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Litter Boxes and Pans
|Best Overall||Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan||4.4|
|Runner Up||Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||IRIS Cat Litter Box with Scoop||4.3|
|Best Enclosed||Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System||4.4|
|Best Self-Cleaning||Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box||4.2|
*Ratings are from Chewy at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
Regardless of the size of your cat, the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan is guaranteed to satisfy both you and the pickiest of felines. It’s a very large litter box that is even recommended for multi-cat households. It isn’t the cheapest option on the market, but it’s well worth the cost according to over 6000 reviewers who gave it a very solid average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
If your cat needs privacy, this litter box will do the trick. The hood gives them the privacy they need to do their business in peace while maintaining the aesthetic of your home thanks to its ability to hide the litter. The door opening is also quite large, ensuring that any cat can effortlessly get in and out. But the real appeal of the hood is that it keeps the litter inside the box – ask any cat owner and they’ll tell you that there’s nothing worse than having soiled cat litter find its way outside of the box.
The hood itself is very easy to snap onto the pan thanks to the high-quality construction. And when you need to clean the litter, simply remove the hood and hang your bag on the built-in bag anchor, freeing up both of your hands to do the cleaning. But the real reason all cat owners need this litter box is the built-in carbon filter that absorbs all odors and prevents unpleasant smells from filling your home. You do have to replace the filters from time to time, but it’s well worth the cost.
Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan Key Features:
- Jumbo-sized box that fits multiple cats
- Large door opening
- Built-in carbon filter that absorbs odor
- Easy to clean with the bag anchor
Our Runner Up Pick: Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
If you’re tired of cat litter getting everywhere, Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan is for you. At first glance, it looks quite simple, but don’t be fooled. This litter box is expertly designed to keep litter precisely where it’s supposed to stay: inside the pan. Of course, no litter box can prevent all pieces of litter from escaping, but multiple reviewers pointed out it does a far superior job compared to other litter boxes they tried.
Petmate describes this litter box as “a private retreat for cats while keeping kitty litter hidden from sight.” We couldn’t agree more; the top entry box design gives your cat the privacy they need to comfortably do their business, and also shields you from seeing their business until it’s time to clean it out. It’s spacious size makes it suitable for cats of all sizes. As the cherry on top, it will only cost you around $22.
Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Key Features:
- Designed to reduce litter scattering
- Very spacious interior
- Suitable for cats of all sizes
- Allows you to hide your cat’s litter box in plain sight
Best Budget Pick: IRIS Cat Litter Box with Scoop
If you’re on the hunt for a budget-friendly litter box that is just as functional as more expensive options, look no further. The IRIS Cat Litter Box with Scoop is perfect for those who want a no-frills litter box that’s affordable yet spacious. It’s quite large, coming in at around 19″ by 15″, and most cats should have no problem using it comfortably. Unlike hooded litter boxes, your cat can effortlessly climb into this one to do their business. It’s a great choice for those who don’t mind an open-top litter box.
The height of the pan itself is high enough that it can prevent litter from finding its way onto the floor, but as an added safety measure, there’s a removable litter guard that ensures everything stays in the pan. The litter guard blocks the back and sides while leaving the front open for easy entry. And when it comes time to clean the box, you can use the included matching litter scoop to sift through the litter. The polished interior is easy to clean, and when you’re done, there’s a clip to hang the scoop inside.
The pan itself has a unique, recessed bottom that allows you to slide it into just about any space in your home. It has durable feet that keep the box in place and molded rims that keep the litter guard secured onto the pan – even the most rambunctious kitten won’t be able to knock this box over.
IRIS Cat Litter Box with Scoop Key Features:
- Removable litter guard keeps litter in the pan
- Easy-to-clean polished interior
- Includes a matching scoop in the purchase price
- Molded rims and durable feet keep the litter box in place
Best Enclosed Cat Litter Box: Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System
For picky cats and stylish owners, an enclosed cat litter box is crucial. The Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System is a high quality hooded litter box that’s comfy and durable. The hood helps block odor from getting out and filling your room.
The hood is easy to put on and remove as well as open and close, and when it comes time to clean the litter, the flip top and removable pan make it effortless. Anyone looking for a litter box that keeps litter inside the box, gives their cat the privacy they need to go in peace, and keeps unwanted spray from finding its way onto the floor, this is the litter box for you.
Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Hooded Cat Litter Box System Key Features:
- Hood keeps litter inside the pan
- Spacious interior
- Simple to clean
Best Self-Cleaning Litter Box: Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Tired of having to clean out your cat’s litter box? With the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, you won’t have to. This is a large litter box suitable for big cats or multi-cat households. Two cats could comfortably fit in it at once – that’s how spacious it is. But what’s unique about it is its shape. This litter box is round and perfectly rolls onto its top. In fact, that’s how the litter cleans itself.
Inside the litter box there’s a grill that catches all of the clumped waste when you turn the box over. When you return it to its natural position, the dirty litter is separated into its own pull-out tray. Simply empty the tray into the trash and the litter is clean. It’s truly handy for those who don’t want to have to do the scooping themselves. However, you do need enough space to roll the litter box onto its top, so keep that in mind when planning where to put it.
It’s also a perfect litter box for those who want both the self-cleaning and enclosed aspect. The top and bottom halves are held together by sturdy plastic clips that prevent litter from leaking out of the sides, and the halves are easy to separate should you need to. The door opening itself is also quite large, giving ample space for all cats to get in and out.
Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box Key Features:
- Self-cleaning; simply roll it onto its top and empty the tray
- Large enough for multi-cat households
- Easy to clean
Who Should Buy a Cat Litter Box
No one enjoys having a litter box in their home, but if you have a cat it’s a necessity. Put simply, anyone with a cat needs at the very least one litter box. If you have multiple cats or a large home, you may want to have more than one so your cats have somewhere to go no matter where in the house they are.
Many people use cat litter boxes for their other pets too. Rabbit owners tend to use the same litter boxes cat owners use, as rabbits are as easy to litter train as cats. They’re the best way to keep both you and your pets happy. They get their personalized area to do their business and you get a clean home.
Important Features to Consider
A cat litter box should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cat litter box:
- Choose the right size. If you get a litter box that’s either too big or too small, your cat may not want to use it, leaving a mess for you to clean up. Before purchasing a litter box, make sure that it’s the appropriate size for your cat. If your cat is overweight, you’ll also want to ensure that the door opening is big enough that they can comfortably get in and get out. Finally, if you have a multi-cat household, you’ll want a large litter box so they both can use it in peace.
- Enclosed or open top? Another factor to consider is whether you want an open top litter box or one that’s enclosed. There are pros and cons of each. Enclosed litter boxes offer your cat more privacy to do their business and are usually quite good at keeping odors out of the air. They’re also more aesthetically pleasing, keeping the waste out of sight. On the other hand, you may want an open top litter box if your cat is too anxious to climb into an enclosed litter box. Open top boxes are also easier to clean, and you’ll be able to tell when they need maintenance without taking the lid off, as you would with an enclosed box.
- Front or top entry? When you think of a litter box, you probably picture one with a front door (or no hood at all). While that’s the most popular design, there are litter boxes on the market that have the door on the top. There are many benefits to this, the main one being that there’s less of a chance that litter and waste will end up outside of the box. If your cat is used to a front door, it may take them some time to get used to the top entry.
- Self-cleaning. If you’re tired of cleaning our cat’s litter yourself or you’re unable to do it for whatever reason, a self-cleaning litter box is the perfect feature. Many different litter boxes use different methods to self-clean, but the end result is the same.
- Colors and design. Believe it or not, this might be the most important thing you should consider before buying a litter box. A good design will not only make it more comfortable for your cat, but it’ll give you peace of mind. If it’s important to you, pay a little extra money for a litter box that doubles as furniture. You don’t want it to become an eyesore.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of litter box should I get?
Most cats do fine with hooded litter boxes, though they are more for the humans of the household. If your cat doesn’t mind, you may want an enclosed litter box for its ability to not only keep the litter concealed, but to keep odors at bay. If you do opt for an enclosed litter box, make sure there’s enough room for your cat to comfortably move around inside.
What room should I place the litter box in?
I have multiple cats. How many litter boxes do I need?
Why won’t my cat use his litter box?